All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Cupholder GPS mod

Old 04-11-2014, 03:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cupholder GPS mod

Greetings Community,

I am "brand new" so please be gentle.

I just purchased an SRT-6 and love it from the first red light. Any way, I did a great deal of research before the purchase, and found that this site was the most informative and had such enthusiasm that I wanted to try to pay back.

One of the things that held me back from the Crossfire was the lack of space without doing significant fab/cuts, etc. I am currently working on a mod to use the ill-fated cupholder as a mount for an old GPS.

If anyone is interested, I could share, or do I just scour for old posts to make sure I am not being redundant?

Drive safe, but faster than the next guy,
Mark

Old 04-11-2014, 04:18 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Cupholder GPS mod

Welcome to the forum! I'd like a good place to mount a GPS, but it seems like putting it there would be in the way, and difficult to use. Maybe some pics, or sketches?

Old 04-11-2014, 06:48 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I did a "very" quickie before heading to the Dragon.. the metal plate hooked over the glove box door version. Location was great as it can be tilted towards the driver, and passenger can also access to reroute to POI along the way.

That being said, Welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing what you come up with..

Old 04-11-2014, 07:41 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome and enjoy the car. Good idea but to me, a really bad placement for a number of reasons, including having to look down.

I chose a different path for my Nav. I wired it from the fuse box door location, routing the wires behing the A pillar so noth shows and have the NAV in the upper corner of the window area. Looks built in now and always is in power on when the car is on. No unsightly wiires, no need to use the lighter plug for this (allows use for my FM transmitter an bluetooth in the lighter area) and the location is great for vision so you can see the NAV without taking your eyes off the road. I can send pics if anyone is interested. It's a pretty easy install.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are pics of my Tom Tom mounted on the face of the glove box. When I had it mounted on top of the dash the sun wiped out the screen. This location is better but you do have to take your eyes off of the road. Most of the time I can use the voice commands.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
5-6-2014 GPS - Attic 009A.jpg (69.7 KB, 67 views)
5-6-2014 GPS - Attic 010A.jpg (65.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 05-07-2014, 05:24 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PNA
Welcome and enjoy the car. Good idea but to me, a really bad placement for a number of reasons, including having to look down.

I chose a different path for my Nav. I wired it from the fuse box door location, routing the wires behing the A pillar so noth shows and have the NAV in the upper corner of the window area. Looks built in now and always is in power on when the car is on. No unsightly wiires, no need to use the lighter plug for this (allows use for my FM transmitter an bluetooth in the lighter area) and the location is great for vision so you can see the NAV without taking your eyes off the road. I can send pics if anyone is interested. It's a pretty easy install.
This seems like a good solution. Some pics would be great, thanx.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:02 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PNA

I'd like to see photos of your install. Sounds like something I'd like to do . . .

Old 05-07-2014, 12:47 PM
PNA

Originally Posted by Abaton6
This seems like a good solution. Some pics would be great, thanx.
I'll try and post some pics later tonight. I am really happy I did this. I love the fact it's up out of the way, it is hardwired so no need to have to use the cig lighter, it's in eyeline sight, you can keep the volume down lower becasuse it's closer to your head / ears, it comes on at start up and goes off at shut down and you can remove it and even plug in a different / newer nav without having to hardwire (as long as the connector fits the new one).

Pics later.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum!

Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 PM
PNA

Some pics of placement and install.

The first picture is placement of the GPS on the window by the A pillar. The GPS plug exits the A pillar at the top. The wire is run down behind the A pillar and into the side panel fuse box. In that fuse box (I'll add that picture later. For some reason it won't upload) the male plug is plugged into the female plug I bought at an autoparts store. The wires from those are fed back through a small gap and run into the engine compartment near the fuse box by the firewall.

The next picture is a picture of the fuse box where the wire from inside is fed, and connected via a fuse connector to a live fuse. I can tell you which one I used if interested. It fires up the GPS when the key is turned on..

The last picture is one from the outside looking in. You can see that the wire is hidden behind the A pillar and is only visible at the top. You can use the suction mount (which is what I did so I can still take it out if I want to and use it in another vehicle, hide it, or even relocate. However, the whole purpose for me was to keep it in one location, have it look built in and keep my lighter plug free for other things which is general plug and play FM transmitter for Bluetooth, music etc. It is small and silver just like the dash. It looks like it was made for the car too. Also, it has steering wheel controls for answering the phone, changing the song, folder etc. Even the volume.

Pretty easy install. Maybe a half hour. Let me know if you have any questions. Hope this helps. I really like how this turned out for my purposes.
NOTE: you can also wire it so that the hook up is at the base of the A pillar and the windshield and mount it low. Still in eyeline and a good spot for volume and plugging in address etc. For some of the really nice new ones, it will also be good for Bluetooth functionality and voice commands. When I get a new one, I'm going to do the same thing in my G8.

UPDATED: I added the picture of the Fuse panel. That's where I wire the socket plug to run the other wire to the fuse box in the engine compartment. Really easy. I also added pictures of my FM Bluetooth transmitter, whic I host in the normal cig ligher plug. Small, looks stock and works great. USB, IPOD and SAN card connect for music. $50. Keeps me from buying a new head unit for now. Speakers may get changed out but I find them adequate when using this and the CD. Sound is much better than the radio.

Attached Images
20140507_184934_resized.jpg (883.3 KB, 67 views)
20140507_184756_resized.jpg (1.09 MB, 60 views)
20140507_185118_resized.jpg (1.03 MB, 62 views)
Fuse Panel GPS Hook Up.jpg (1.01 MB, 45 views)
Bluetooth - MP3 Transmitter.jpg (493.1 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by PNA; 05-08-2014 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Adding info and pictures
Old 05-08-2014, 02:48 AM

Greetings All,

It's interesting I actually ended up doing a combination of both ideas prior to checking back with the thread. The cupholder was cool in concept but just kept getting in the way of my elbow, so...
- mounted a small monitor in the left corner driver side (to the fuse box) for a rearview cam
- fashioned a metal plate that wraps around the side of the glovebox to mount the GPS (only uses one screw on the inside lip)
I guess great minds think alike.

(I guess I can't attach pics from an iPad)

Old 05-08-2014, 03:20 AM

OK, pics following.
Also, I hard-wired one of those 3 hole cigarette lighter adaptors with usb that I keep tucked behind the passenger seat for maximum flexibility. I get to keep the nice little matching silver lighter in the hole, and have enough spots so a passenger can plug in too.

Attached Images
back.jpg (1.16 MB, 41 views)
gps.jpg (1,005.2 KB, 48 views)
inside.jpg (849.7 KB, 38 views)
adaptor.jpg (933.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-08-2014, 07:24 AM
PNA

Originally Posted by HansFire
OK, pics following.
Also, I hard-wired one of those 3 hole cigarette lighter adaptors with usb that I keep tucked behind the passenger seat for maximum flexibility. I get to keep the nice little matching silver lighter in the hole, and have enough spots so a passenger can plug in too.
Yeah, looks good. I actually had my GPS rigged on the glove box before as well. I just got tired of reaching. I don't have a rear camera though so I preferred the placement over on the left A pillar area. Nice set up given you have the need for 2 screen placments.