All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

BAS/ESP No brake lights

Old 12-18-2015, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAS/ESP No brake lights

Hey everyone. After going through posts on this forum for 2 hours today I still need help. I bought my 04 crossfire 3 months ago and I had the same problem as many do with the BAS/ESP light coming on as soon as you press the brake pedal and stay on and the bulb out light coming on and off as I hit the brake pedal. Along with this my brake lights not working. I replaced the switch under the brake pedal as recommended and it was fine for several weeks.Then the same thing started happening again. I replaced the fuse for the brake light in the fuse box by the headlight switch. Again this seemed to work as it was working fine for probably a week. Then it started happening again. for a month the problem would occur again and I would simply remove the fuse put it back in and problem gone again for anywhere from 1-3 days.
Now all of a sudden replacing the fuse doesn't do anything and I cannot at least temporarily fix the problem to make my car safe to drive. So I am stuck without brake lights. Any ideas/help would be appreciated
Thank You
David

Old 12-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: BAS/ESP No brake lights

Originally Posted by davidf30
Hey everyone. After going through posts on this forum for 2 hours today I still need help. I bought my 04 crossfire 3 months ago and I had the same problem as many do with the BAS/ESP light coming on as soon as you press the brake pedal and stay on and the bulb out light coming on and off as I hit the brake pedal. Along with this my brake lights not working. I replaced the switch under the brake pedal as recommended and it was fine for several weeks.Then the same thing started happening again. I replaced the fuse for the brake light in the fuse box by the headlight switch. Again this seemed to work as it was working fine for probably a week. Then it started happening again. for a month the problem would occur again and I would simply remove the fuse put it back in and problem gone again for anywhere from 1-3 days.
Now all of a sudden replacing the fuse doesn't do anything and I cannot at least temporarily fix the problem to make my car safe to drive. So I am stuck without brake lights. Any ideas/help would be appreciated
Thank You
David
Are the bulbs in working condition?
Is there any power at the bulbs?
This is the result of search. Click

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-18-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:24 PM

Hi. Finally back on line. Thx for the reply. All the bulbs are fine. Got bas/esp light to go off and brake lights to start working again last night by removing the #2 fuse and putting it back in but not all the way. When fuse is pushed in all the way problem occurs again. I need to check this forum. I think there was somebody who was doing that exact thing and posted about it. Need to see if he posted exactly what he did to fix the problem

Old 12-26-2015, 12:46 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by davidf30
Hi. Finally back on line. Thx for the reply. All the bulbs are fine. Got bas/esp light to go off and brake lights to start working again last night by removing the #2 fuse and putting it back in but not all the way. When fuse is pushed in all the way problem occurs again. I need to check this forum. I think there was somebody who was doing that exact thing and posted about it. Need to see if he posted exactly what he did to fix the problem
There was a problem once and it was because the terminals in that fuse panel for a fuse had got bent and the fuse did not fit in it correctly. Check the condition of the fuse box terminal.
The fuse box is actually in the side of the ICM, Illumination Control Module, or in normal language - the light switch.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-26-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:05 PM

So did you find out a solution to this problem?

Old 05-08-2019, 03:53 PM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Gio2mason
So did you find out a solution to this problem?

3 1/2 year post? I would guess probably yes or sold the car...

Old 05-16-2019, 02:33 PM

Yes. I replaced the light switch fuse box. Problem was resolved.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:39 PM

I replaced the light switch fuse box. Fixed the problem. Totaled that Xfire last summer. Bought an SRT6. Love it best car I've ever owned.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:53 PM

This post will be long but very informational and might work for you. So every time I hit the brake my BAS/ESP light will come on on the dash. I checked all my bulbs brand new so I went to the fuse box in the car ( on the left hand side of steering wheel) the brake light fuse there is a BLUE 15 ( first one on the bottom towards the left) looks brand new but I changed it anyway. Car still had the light on when I pressed the brakes. So next I changed the brake light relay( located under the hood in a box on driver side, it’s hidden under the plastic frame on the box but comes out.its usually yellow but if not it’s the relay towards the left.) after pressing the brake and the light comes back next I changed the brake light switch ( located inside the car follow the brake pedal up till you see the switch. There’s a tap to push on then turn the whole switch counter clockwise.) I bought a new one for $12 and before I put it in you must fully extend the plunger if not the switch will not read. Then I put it back in. Make sure all wires are not damaged or if you see any rips fix. There are other connectors under there when you take the plastics off to reach the brake light switch, make sure they are all in properly. I took mines out and put them back in just to be sure. Even the ones where you turn on your lights. There’s wire connectors there too. After assembling the cover back on to everything fitting nice and snugged, i synchronized my ESP. Turn the car o. Left it on neutral ( I have a Manal) turned my steering wheel all the way left then hold for a second then turned my steering wheel right and hold. Then straighten the wheel out. I let the car roll for a second and then slammed on the brakes a few times and held down the brake. Turned the car off waited a few seconds and then turned her back on.when I pressed the brakes, the lights on the dash did not come on. It’s been 3 weeks since then and everything is good except the check engine light ( which is only because I have to buy a Secondary air injection pump ) I write this long story because I was in a jam and really couldn’t spend a lot of money plus I don’t trust other mechanics under my hood lol. So try these steps it might work for you in the beginning or you might have to do everything I did but it will definitely work either way.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There was a problem once and it was because the terminals in that fuse panel for a fuse had got bent and the fuse did not fit in it correctly. Check the condition of the fuse box terminal.
The fuse box is actually in the side of the ICM, Illumination Control Module, or in normal language - the light switch.
Is this a fuse box you can see or is it hidden somewhere?

Old 02-19-2020, 08:14 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Canvasone
Is this a fuse box you can see or is it hidden somewhere?
He told you: The ICM is the light switch.

OPen driver's door.
Turn two Screw-type thingy's on end of dash, remove cover.
Observe that you have twelve fuses (plus sockets above for two spares).
YOu are looking for the brake light fuse, in 2005 that was fuse 2. (Watch it, they move fuses around between model years and trim levels.)

Old 02-19-2020, 10:00 PM

He said he replaced the fuse panel in the light switch, is the one you are showing me the fuse panel that needs replaced?