All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Airbag Recall Parts In

Old 02-18-2017, 11:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Airbag Recall Parts In

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Open your passenger door and look at the end of the dash not seen when the door is closed. You will see the keyed switch, every Crossfire has one and it is used to turn the passenger air bag of when a child seat is used, maybe just the rear facing seat - check that statement.
Dealers lie all the time and some get what they are told mixed up because they do not know too much about cars.
i knew about the keyed switch ,I was saying, I didn't know they didn't come without one. Were they not put on the base models?

Old 02-18-2017, 01:21 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Now at dealer. Think I have found someone willing to help. Was shown the Dash-III screen that did not show communications with ORC. No ORC. No error code.

They are now "checking further" - suspect R&R of module is in progress. Think they now understand that am serious and Will Not just go away. Told I already contacted CC and have case number, just have not identified the dealer as yet.

Stay tuned.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:23 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Re: Airbag Recall Parts In - Star Case for 2007 ORC

Back now and finally think we are getting somewhere but they do not seem have the right scan tool. Seems there is a Star Case on a failure to communicate (below) and are now trying to find the right one.

The underlying issue is whether I am the first to experience this or just the first to dare to question the dealer.

In any event suspect it is best for anyone here going in for the recall with a 2007 or 2008 to take a copy of this case with you in case of an airbag light the dealer cannot clear.

Major issue is that it has taken three trips and about 10 hours at the dealer to get to "we don't have the right tool".

ps what is a "StarScan" ?

Last edited by Padgett; 02-18-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts
Default Re: Airbag Recall Parts In - Star Case for 2007 ORC

Originally Posted by Padgett
ps what is a "StarScan"
Here's link to the StarSCAN tool.

StarSCAN on eBay

Last edited by dedwards0323; 02-18-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I wonder why they want the iggy 'ON' before hooking the battery back up? Hooking a battery up to a 'LOAD' (IMHO) is both risky and unsafe. Risky because there is a possibility of a surge due to the car electronics being 'turned on' sequentially (by the ignition switch), and unsafe due to the sparks creating a surge (present when placing the clamp on said battery) with the car wanting a full load (unlike just the parasitic draw expected). I wonder WHAT they did to Padgett's car? Maybe they did this 'iggy on then battery' thing? I wonder IF they are feeding you the 'later' Jeep SRS code ( ANFSCD OBD-II Code CT1322A - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum ), or does FCA use these 'hidden' codes in the MB ORC moduls as well?

Knowing what is in my 08 Vol 2 section 8 page 8-520/521 (SRS Verification Test), I would ask them to verify NO CODES are present BEFORE they touch mine. This way, if it isn't working afterwards, then FCA is CLEARLY 100% at fault. I also wonder if they could have PINCHED a wire during reassembly, causing this code? Did they try to 'reset' that present code? With all the members here who have replaced their wheel/bag, it cannot be that hard to do it WITHOUT hooking up the verification test, could it? The manual SHOULD have that test done BEFORE they touch anything (but that would cement liability wouldn't it?). THE SELF CHECK OF THE AIRBAG LIGHT IN CLUSTER SHOULD BE 100% AS TO THE INTEGRETY OF THE SYSTEM BEFORE SERVICE (lamp on after start/run, then off after @ 6 seconds WITHOUT lamp lit afterwards).

You have quite a risk buying a ORC (Occupant Restraint Controller) module off the internet, the service manual cautions not to drop or jar it because its accelerometer integral to that module may be damaged. You can read more in Vol 2 of the 08 service manual pages 80-522/523 OR whatever manual you have which may have a different page close to this one referenced. Since reading this post, I have read a lot of this entire section, and believe THEY (the guys replacing that airbag) did something out of sequence (maybe like that reconnection of the battery with the iggy on). IF they checked in that car with the airbag light off (or any reference to on or off), they most surely did something to pop that code up. The replacement mentioned/sequenced in that section of the service manual (same volume pages 80-533/535.

This makes me MAD as hell, they are trying to bend you over and not use lube. Oh aren't they so nice to 'reduce' the price they want to charge you? Get a printout of the error code (without letting them touch your car again) and take your car to another service department to 'reset' the entire SRS system. Sounds like your going to need a hand legally, good luck!
One has to remember that the SRS Verification Test is completed using a DRB-III tool, not an OBD-2 Scanner. The communication is different. Not sure how many of these Chrysler dealers even have a DRB-III (or StarSCAN) tool around anymore.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
NOTE: The service manual does not mention anything about separating the airbag from the steering wheel cover.
They are treated as a single unit, so I would think the dealer needs your color before ordering the replacement.
But then, I could be wrong.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:24 AM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
One has to remember that the SRS Verification Test is completed using a DRB-III tool, not an OBD-2 Scanner. The communication is different. Not sure how many of these Chrysler dealers even have a DRB-III (or StarSCAN) tool around anymore.

One ALSO has to remember the self test WILL tell you if you have NO PROBLEMS with the SRS SYSTEM before some clown at a FCA dealership starts monkeying with it (providing you don't have a problem before going in to have the air bag replaced under this recall). The service manual tells them to run their SRS Verification Test after they do work on the system when there is/was a problem, like an impact or other defect (not a system that is working correctly, only opened up for this recall). I plan on videotaping its 'self test' before they touch mine (based on the so called techs working on stuff they know almost nothing about to date). Most important, there are numerous posts here in the forum that members have replaced/removed their steering wheel/air bags for various mods WITHOUT any DRBIII/Star/Cables/software just by removing the NEG cable and waiting a short period of time for the system to 'discharge' stored electrical energy. Many (if not all) of them never had a problem afterwards.

I ask all those who replaced their steering wheel, did the paddle shift mod, or swapped their own airbags, did you check the SRS airbag light for its correct operation after you did the work (when no fault occurred upon completion)? Let us know, I am curious if the self check did not operate correctly OR if your SRS air bag lamp on your left cluster lit up continually

I will bet you padgett's car has that SRS lamp lit now. I would also bet it was not lit when he first brought his car in.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata

Mr M, was this during the recall process? Please elaborate? First time seeing pictures like this. Mayby they do pull it all apart, huh?

Approximately 33 hours to go for my appointment. Lets PRAY they know what they are doing!

Old 02-19-2017, 06:38 AM

First time I've seen the airbag disassembled. Actually, replacing that module is actually what the recall is all about. Might make sense that the parts they needed were the modules and not the entire airbag assembly. I am really curious now. Mine gets repaired on the 22nd.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:44 AM

Disassembled spare airbag from a 2005 Roadster. According to others, this is one manufactured by TRW.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:48 AM

I'm more & more convinced that they will disassemble the airbag removing the potentially hazardous module, replace it with a new one, re-assemble & re-install in Crossfire. I'm guessing it will only take 60-90 minutes. No need to worry about color then. And it clearly shows that this airbag is designed different than the one Mrmiata shared with us. I wish I had the one like my spare unit above. Module is a "drop in" design rather than having to remove the entire backing plate. Much cleaner & simpler to do this repair. Wonder if the TRW connection is compatible with the connection for Takata? Can't really tell by these pictures.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 02-19-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:04 PM

I'm more & more convinced that they will disassemble the airbag removing the potentially hazardous module, replace it with a new one, re-assemble & re-install in Crossfire. I'm guessing it will only take 60-90 minutes. No need to worry about color then. And it clearly shows that this airbag is designed different than the one Mrmiata shared with us. I wish I had the one like my spare unit above. Module is a "drop in" design rather than having to remove the entire backing plate. Much cleaner & simpler to do this repair. Wonder if the TRW connection is compatible with the connection for Takata? Can't really tell by these pictures.
Glad the Pics convinced you.. THOSE were sent from the mechanic at the dealer doing a recall.. Facebook has it's usage..

Old 02-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Glad the Pics convinced you.. THOSE were sent from the mechanic at the dealer doing a recall.. Facebook has it's usage..
Great news, that is just what we needed.
Mine was like dedwards, it had two connectors on the back as I recall now. Pictures help you remember much better,
normally I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:04 PM

Great news, that is just what we needed.
Mine was like dedwards, it had two connectors on the back as I recall now. Pictures help you remember much better,
normally I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast.
There is no doubt in my mind that the airbag supplied by TRW was more robust that the airbag supplied by Takata. If one looks at the pictures I posted of the airbag from a 2005 model, the airbag module is an insert that is secured directly to the backing plate. No need to remove the backing plate to replace that module.

But on the Takata airbag that Mrmiata posted, that backing plate has to be removed to get the module out. Way more involved to repair and somewhat weaker design. I can see where Takata sold an airbag design to Chrysler that was cheaper to make than TRW version. And I'm fairly certain the connector is different between the 2 versions.

You guys with 2004 - 2006 models really lucked out!

Old 02-19-2017, 07:11 PM

My 2007 gets repaired on 02/22 during an 0830 appointment. I checked for codes yesterday and there aren't any present. Lets see what happens when the Service Tech finishes.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:23 PM

My 2007 gets repaired on 02/22 during an 0830 appointment. I checked for codes yesterday and there aren't any present. Lets see what happens when the Service Tech finishes.
That means nothing at all when you get to the dealer. Have them test for codes before they touch the car.
Otherwise it's your word against theirs and you know whose word they will take. Just say you want to make sure that they do not damage anything as you have heard other people have had trouble after the swap.
Say that the other dealers were probably not too careful, butter them up a bit.
Mechanics and service reps get a bonus on any extra work they get the customer to have done, needed or not. Some of these mechanics/reps have no conscience at all. One guy told me I needed a brake job, I said that is strange as I have just done one myself, he said not right now but soon.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-19-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:33 PM

I'm guessing taking a picture of the dash with mileage while running and NO air bag light on when you drop the car off would suffice as "proof" it was not activated...

Old 02-19-2017, 07:40 PM

I'm guessing taking a picture of the dash with mileage while running and NO air bag light on when you drop the car off would suffice as "proof" it was not activated...
I think there are codes that do not light the CEL.
Pending codes being some of them.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:55 PM

I think there are codes that do not light the CEL.
Pending codes being some of them.

I do not think there are 'pending' codes on any SRS system. I believe that system has no tie-in with the Check Engine Lamp (CEL).

Old 02-20-2017, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I do not think there are 'pending' codes on any SRS system. I believe that system has no tie-in with the Check Engine Lamp (CEL).

I am talking about any code for any system. It is possible that a dealer could say you have a problem with 'X' system and you need to get it fixed, I have no faith in any dealer, I suspect them all to be crooks and liars. As such I suspect every word they say.
How do you know when dealers employee is lying?
Their lips are moving.