All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Airbag Recall Parts In

Old 02-22-2017, 11:30 AM
Received 523 Likes on 416 Posts
Default Re: Airbag Recall Parts In

Well I'm back home after having the airbag module recall completed this morning at Benson CDJR in Greenville. They actually did a nice job & took real good care of my car. Service Advisor did a "walk-around" when I pulled it in and was amazed he couldn't find any signs of curb rash, road rash on the front end and/or dings along the body side. He even noted that the driver-side seat didn't even look liked it had been sat in. Told him I expected it returned to me in the same condition and I would do my "walk-around" before I left the dealership.

Anyway, whole process took about 2 hours. I'm sure the actual repair took only about an hour; maybe a little more. But they hardly ever start on time due to other jobs that have "backed up" for one reason or another.

And for anyone that's interested, Part Number for the replacement module on my 2007 was the following: CSF8S155-AA.

While there, I took the time to walk over to Benson's Alfa/Fiat dealership next door to look at an Alfa Giulia up close. They had a model with the 4-cylinder turbo on the floor that I got to sit in and take a detailed look at. Really a nice looking car and priced reasonably. The base level sedan I looked at was barely over $40k. That is actually enough car for me with 280+ hp available.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:38 AM

Forgot to mention that the Service Advisor connected his Bluetooth scanner to my car and looked for any codes along with downloading specific information about the car onto his tablet. I had to show him where the OBDII connector was located on the Crossfire and tell him that the orientation of the connector was backwards compared to typical US products. I knew beforehand that there were no codes because I looked the day before. Just them trying to see if they could drum up any additional work. I know they don't make any money performing the recalls. I'd say the typical Crossfire owner, like many of us, is an owner-type these dealers are not accustomed to, showing up having work performed at their service centers & knowing as much if not more than they do about the car.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 02-24-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my airbags replaced by dealer (2008 Coupe built two weeks before plant shut down) and now AIRBAG warning light is ON!!! Dealer said it wasn't part of the "fix" and I will have to pay to repair. The airbag warning light was NOT on before the repair - unfortunately, I am just an "old lady" who unfortunately is way too trusting and did not even think there was going to be a problem such that I needed to take a picture of my dash. What do I do? This was a result of the replacement - and Chrysler should be taking care of it. AAARGH

Old 02-23-2017, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by redsky7
Just had my airbags replaced by dealer (2008 Coupe built two weeks before plant shut down) and now AIRBAG warning light is ON!!! Dealer said it wasn't part of the "fix" and I will have to pay to repair. The airbag warning light was NOT on before the repair - unfortunately, I am just an "old lady" who unfortunately is way too trusting and did not even think there was going to be a problem such that I needed to take a picture of my dash. What do I do? This was a result of the replacement - and Chrysler should be taking care of it. AAARGH
My position on this is they created the fault in the SRS system by either not following specific procedure per FCA Recall Notice (FCA does inform the Service Centers how to perform this repair properly) or not performing a verification test to guarantee SRS will function properly. The fact that the warning light is on indicates the system has a fault and may not perform like it is suppose to. I'd call the FCA Recall Hot line & file a complaint against the dealership and see if you can get mother FCA involved to correct this.

It is interesting to note that some of us get this recall completed without an incident and others have issues after the repair is completed. I'm betting that some of the Service Centers perform this repair without really following the recommended procedure from FCA. And that includes whether they have a DRBIII/StarScan tool available. Probably quite a few dealers that don't have these anymore or never did have them. I will mention that I had a copy of the Removal & Install procedure, along with the SRS Verification Test procedure, from the Service Manual inside my car when I went to the dealer. Service Tech actually left me a note thanking me for indicating that a T30 Torx bit was the correct size needed to remove the airbag from the steering wheel.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 02-23-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings
Will be getting 07 xfire out of storage soon and then I have to deal with air bag recall. I live in Mi. Tri -city area, BAY CITY /SAGINAW /MIDLAND .Would like to know if anyone on the forum has dealt with any of the local Chrysler dealers to have any service done to their
Xfire as never dealt with any of the dealers since owning. Thanxz in advance for any information.
Aerohead

Old 02-23-2017, 08:11 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AEROHEAD
Greetings
Will be getting 07 xfire out of storage soon and then I have to deal with air bag recall. I live in Mi. Tri -city area, BAY CITY /SAGINAW /MIDLAND .Would like to know if anyone on the forum has dealt with any of the local Chrysler dealers to have any service done to their
Xfire as never dealt with any of the dealers since owning. Thanxz in advance for any information.
Aerohead
I've heard the dealer in Mt. Pleasant has a Xfire tech.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:58 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Redsky: First insist they give you an error code before they do anything. This take the Star tool and not a DASH III for an '07 or '08 (see the Star Case from 2014 posted earlier in the thread)..

Am still waiting on my dealer to find the right tool. If goes past Monday with open a case with Chrysler Cares.

I *suspect* that they did "something" do cause the ORC to lose its pairing with the module and this is causing the problem. Once/if I find out what is the issue will report it but sounds like we have the same issue.

Just fortunate I did take picture with engine idling and 6 miles less on odo than recall paperwork (distance to dealer).

Highly recommend to everyone having it done that the dealer verify no warning lights when you drop it off.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by harbor
I've heard the dealer in Mt. Pleasant has a Xfire tech.
I was lucky using Benson CDJR for this recall repair. They had 2 Service Techs with 20+ years of experience working at Benson and were very knowledgeable about the Crossfire. In general, I agree with those that have little or no confidence in FCA dealer service centers working on these cars. But if you can find a dealership that has a Service Tech knowledgeable about the Crossfire, that support can be a good thing. Unfortunately, it can also be a costly thing for anything requiring significant diagnostics. And once again, I'm fortunate in that there is a very reputable independent shop that specializes in the German marques, so they will work on my Crossfire if needed. And will do the work for less than an FCA dealer. In fact, I've talked with the owner and he had an SRT-6 for awhile when it came out in 2005.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Highly recommend to everyone having it done that the dealer verify no warning lights when you drop it off.
That is essentially what the Service Advisor did when he connected to the OBDII port. I was standing right beside him when he was in the car and witnessed that there were no warning lights on and/or codes present when the car arrived at the service center that morning. Very good advice from Padgett for those getting ready to do this.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:20 AM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
That is essentially what the Service Advisor did when he connected to the OBDII port. I was standing right beside him when he was in the car and witnessed that there were no warning lights on and/or codes present when the car arrived at the service center that morning. Very good advice from Padgett for those getting ready to do this.
Not saying I told you so but I suggested that back in post #96 replying to a post of yours.
Anything you do like that yourself is open for an argument.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-24-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:33 AM

See post 113. Took picture with parking lights on and engine running. Can read odo easily in original (6 miles less than on service ticket) and still have original on cell phone (posted picture reduced to 800x600). If became absurd a forensic analyst could tell if picture had been doctored.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:02 AM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

I wonder if they intentionally left the battery connected before disconnecting the air bag, then trying to 'boost' sales, then just 'reset' the SRS system with their tool after a 'sale'? I sure wish it was easy to discern if a SRS reset would magically fix these faults?

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 02-24-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:02 AM

Just got call from dealer. Found the Star tool elsewhere but I have to leave the car for a day so next week.

ps "Never attribute to evil genius what can be explained by simple stupidity."

Old 02-24-2017, 10:05 PM

Confirmed today my 08 has T30 screws (2 total) in the back of the air bag (steering wheel). Brand new craftsman T30 and T27 screwdrivers tried T30 first, super tight. Then tried the T27 and it was ever so slightly loose in the screw head. Am going to purchase a set of Torx allen keys for the hard to reach Torx screws in the car wherever they may be installed. I already have a set mounted in a 'flip open' 'pocket knife' type tool now BUT they are too shallow for the deeper holes where the two screws in the back of the steering wheel are.

Does anyone who has gone through the air bag replacement know IF they are using any sort of 'threadlock' on the screws upon reinstallation? Even though the T30 was a tight fit in the screw head, it would not budge (yes, I was turning it the right direction). The 'tech' who replaced mine must have used quite a bit more than 71 inch pounds to tighten them back up that's for sure!

Old 02-25-2017, 03:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would advise against using thread lock

Old 02-25-2017, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by turbomar
I would advise against using thread lock

I would advise against as well, was wondering IF the recall had that as a step since mine were SO TIGHT after replacement I could not loosen the one I tried to loosen.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I still clearly recall the screws being very tight when I did the paddle shift install in both crossfire I owned. The ideal tool is a long stem torx socket. No idea about the recall instructions

Old 02-25-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Just got call from dealer. Found the Star tool elsewhere but I have to leave the car for a day so next week.

ps "Never attribute to evil genius what can be explained by simple stupidity."
Hope this resolves your issue. I know it's been aggravating.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Not saying I told you so but I suggested that back in post #96 replying to a post of yours.
Anything you do like that yourself is open for an argument.
I'll correct myself and recognize your contribution to this issue of absence of codes when arriving at service center.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:23 PM

Takata pleaded guilty to fraud in the air bag scandal today in Federal court. They agreed to pay $1 billion for a scheme to conceal a deadly defect of its air bag inflators. Takata admitted to hiding problems that can cause inflators to explode with too much force, hurling schrapnel into drivers & passengers. Article said that U.S. prosecutors are still seeking extradition of three former Takata executives from Japan to face criminal charges.

Takata agreed to pay $850 million in restitution to automakers, $125 million to victims and families, and a $25 million criminal fine. They still face dozens of consumer & state lawsuits that could run into millions of dollars.

Got 'em!!!!! They'll go bankrupt now.