All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Airbag Recall Parts In

Old 02-20-2017, 06:22 AM
Received 523 Likes on 416 Posts
Default Re: Airbag Recall Parts In

Originally Posted by onehundred80
How do you know when dealers employee is lying?
Their lips are moving.
Now that's funny!

Old 02-20-2017, 06:43 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Now that's funny!
But unfortunately true.
Most of 'em GOT the job by proving that they could lie convincingly when they filled out the job application.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

I am talking about any code for any system. It is possible that a dealer could say you have a problem with 'X' system and you need to get it fixed, I have no faith in any dealer, I suspect them all to be crooks and liars. As such I suspect every word they say.
How do you know when dealers employee is lying?
Their lips are moving.

Hi Dave, generally very true about the CEL and dealerships. This post is about the air bag recall and the SRS system (including the hassle pagett is now dealing with). Your post might have led someone less knowledgeable to believe there are or could be pending codes for the airbag (SRS) system. If its (SRS system) self check completes correctly and no light is lit afterwards, there will not be a pending code, ever. Just saying.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I checked for codes yesterday and there aren't any present..

Turns out the airbag codes are DTCs and proprietary and changed. Even a DASH III cannot read them on an 07.

I have contacted AutoEnginuity to find out if their product can communicate with these modules (e.g. ORC). Torque cannot and finds no codes even though my light is on.

Difference seems to be that 07s and 08s have knee air bags also which earlier models did not.

ps "Their lips are moving." - dealers say that about customers

Old 02-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Hi Dave, generally very true about the CEL and dealerships. This post is about the air bag recall and the SRS system (including the hassle pagett is now dealing with). Your post might have led someone less knowledgeable to believe there are or could be pending codes for the airbag (SRS) system. If its (SRS system) self check completes correctly and no light is lit afterwards, there will not be a pending code, ever. Just saying.

You missed my point entirely, but have it your way.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:06 PM

Received reply from AutoEnginuity and the Crossie is said to be a mix of Chrysler and Mercedes. Only the ECU is supported. No ORC support.

Currently have Airbag light only, no CEL/SES and Torque Pro finds nothing.

Now waiting on dealer.

Last edited by Padgett; 02-20-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Received reply from AutoEnginuity and the Crossie is said to be a mix of Chrysler and Mercedes. Only the ECU is supported. No ORC support.

Currently have Airbag light only, no CEL/SES and Torque Pro finds nothing.

Now waiting on dealer.

IMHO that dealer should EAT the cost of putting the car back on track with NO SRS light. If they don't, raise a huge stint.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:11 PM

You missed my point entirely, but have it your way.

I find I miss a lot lately, it comes with my genes and my age. Its all good though...

Old 02-20-2017, 06:33 PM

The GG-mobile is BAAAACK on the road! Got there at 2PM for a 2:30 appointment. The guy pulls it in at 2:20 and it sits. They are SUPER busy and cars backed up all over the lot. All the way until 3:55 it sits! Was wondering if they were going to try to 'slip' it until tomorrow and the guy pops the hood. He pulls the NEG cable, tries to find the procedure on the computer, comes back to the car and see's me outside the rollup door. Asks if mine, I say yes. I ask him if everything going ok, and he's ready to pull the assembly. I mention I think the torx is 30 but he chims in torx 27. Bam, they come right out with his 27 torx screwdriver (so he says) and I also mention I have VOL 2 and page marked. He sees the section and page, mentions that's the same pages he has on his screen. Ten minutes later, he's got the trim off the bag module. Slips in the REALLY SMALL replacement and reassembles it. Comes back, pops it in, and re-hooks NEG cable. Starts up, self check passes and the SRS lamp stays off, and 5 minutes later I have my GG-mobile back with a new module. He did not hook up any DRBIII/other test equipment. The assistant service manager and tech both tell me they have been SWAMPED with more than 15 airbag modules a day (and they even have a whole pallet sized box of the recalled modules ready to ship back to wherever). BTW, that service manager also told me he heard down the road ALL airbag modules are going to be 5 year replacement schedule. I think he might have confused that with the TEMPORARY plan to install all the current stock as replacements until the supply chain ramps up to catch up with all the non-desiccant modules already in stock throughout the world (one of the NHTSA briefed counter solutions by many car makers). Don't know if that was agreed to or not but it would not surprise me. So, tonight, I celebrate!

Old 02-21-2017, 06:54 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm so glad George, you were starting to show withdrawal symptoms ......

Old 02-21-2017, 08:04 AM

The GG-mobile is BAAAACK on the road! Got there at 2PM for a 2:30 appointment. The guy pulls it in at 2:20 and it sits. They are SUPER busy and cars backed up all over the lot. All the way until 3:55 it sits! Was wondering if they were going to try to 'slip' it until tomorrow and the guy pops the hood. He pulls the NEG cable, tries to find the procedure on the computer, comes back to the car and see's me outside the rollup door. Asks if mine, I say yes. I ask him if everything going ok, and he's ready to pull the assembly. I mention I think the torx is 30 but he chims in torx 27. Bam, they come right out with his 27 torx screwdriver (so he says) and I also mention I have VOL 2 and page marked. He sees the section and page, mentions that's the same pages he has on his screen. Ten minutes later, he's got the trim off the bag module. Slips in the REALLY SMALL replacement and reassembles it. Comes back, pops it in, and re-hooks NEG cable. Starts up, self check passes and the SRS lamp stays off, and 5 minutes later I have my GG-mobile back with a new module. He did not hook up any DRBIII/other test equipment. The assistant service manager and tech both tell me they have been SWAMPED with more than 15 airbag modules a day (and they even have a whole pallet sized box of the recalled modules ready to ship back to wherever). BTW, that service manager also told me he heard down the road ALL airbag modules are going to be 5 year replacement schedule. I think he might have confused that with the TEMPORARY plan to install all the current stock as replacements until the supply chain ramps up to catch up with all the non-desiccant modules already in stock throughout the world (one of the NHTSA briefed counter solutions by many car makers). Don't know if that was agreed to or not but it would not surprise me. So, tonight, I celebrate!

Congrats George. Hearing that the airbag module is being recommended to change out every 5 years leads me to believe that TAKATA may not have changed anything with the module design. All of us impacted by this recall may be getting just new modules. TAKATA could produce these without any further delay in making repairs. Changing it out every 5 years reduces the likelihood of a catastrophic release that the recall is attempting to address. All failure modes are considered a risk that is a combination of Consequence & Probability (Likelihood) of the incident. Really makes me curious now. What FCA may be telling us is that there is little or no risk of the catastrophic release up to 5 years (no matter the environmental exposure). After 5 years, it is not worth the risk & the airbag module needs to be replaced. Wonder if FCA is going to "foot the bill" for 5-yr replacements?

Last edited by dedwards0323; 02-21-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:56 AM

I mention I think the torx is 30 but he chims in torx 27. Bam, they come right out with his 27 torx screwdriver (so he says) .
He works for a dealer, what does he know.
I sorted these from the past, one thread is about getting the screws out when the wrong bit has distorted the lobes of the socket in the screw.

CLICK
CLICK
ClLICK

If the screw has not been damaged then a T-30 fits, using T-27 or T-25 will ruin the screw and you'll end up drilling the head out. In the steering wheel that would be really awkward.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:13 AM

George: good news for you, bad news for me as means it is unlikely mine just needs repairing or something (unless the 4 hours my dealer put in duirig the first appointment with the wrong tool has confused something beyond recognition.

Still waiting on word that they have found the right scan tool. Bad news is that apparently the StarTech is the only tool that can be used.

Am still trying the "nice" route but have an opened Chrysler Cares case if that does not work.

ps just checked cell phone, took picture on 15th before taking in and with 6 miles less on odo than on ticket to verify trim color. Guess what - no light.

Last edited by Padgett; 02-21-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I'm so glad George, you were starting to show withdrawal symptoms ......

Had those feelings 1 month after the recall (May 2016)... Until it got fixed yesterday, I was LIVID! SAD commentary on FCA corporate customer service.

Congrats George. Hearing that the airbag module is being recommended to change out every 5 years leads me to believe that TAKATA may not have changed anything with the module design. All of us impacted by this recall may be getting just new modules. TAKATA could produce these without any further delay in making repairs. Changing it out every 5 years reduces the likelihood of a catastrophic release that the recall is attempting to address. All failure modes are considered a risk that is a combination of Consequence & Probability (Likelihood) of the incident. Really makes me curious now. What FCA may be telling us is that there is little or no risk of the catastrophic release up to 5 years (no matter the environmental exposure). After 5 years, it is not worth the risk & the airbag module needs to be replaced. Wonder if FCA is going to "foot the bill" for 5-yr replacements?

Dennis, what the guy told me was not in concrete. I suspect he heard (maybe through their FCA channels) about the 'interim' fixes until total ramp up/replacements of the bad inflators? There are millions of inflators WITH the moisture absorbing packets internal to the modules that are safe and still on the road decades long. They (the bag manufacturers) have to replace with the moisture packs inside eventually, but for now I believe they (Takata and everyone else) are doing what has to be done so the company (Takata) doesn't say '**** it', and go bankrupt. IF they put a 5 yr bag in, it will be replaced with the correct one by them as they are built. This is how I read that 'interim' POSSIBLE solution. Noting I saw was concrete yet.

He works for a dealer, what does he know.
I sorted these from the past, one thread is about getting the screws out when the wrong bit has distorted the lobes of the socket in the screw.

CLICK
CLICK
ClLICK

If the screw has not been damaged then a T-30 fits, using T-27 or T-25 will ruin the screw and you'll end up drilling the head out. In the steering wheel that would be really awkward.

It seems a couple of bolts were used (27 and 30 Torx). Post 56 ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ils-1-day.html ) here is a 27 (and many others mention they are super sure they are a 27, with those also saying 30). So, one post mentioned they (manufacturers) use differing bolts/screws/other in assembly @ whatever was bought at that time. Seems at least BOTH are correct, and some 'may' even have a 25. Sometimes, tool quality also plays into it. I'm just SO HAPPY my job is done, FINALLY! BTW Dave, the second 2 were the same post (I read all of them and had 'deja vu' after the second link!

George: good news for you, bad news for me as means it is unlikely mine just needs repairing or something (unless the 4 hours my dealer put in duirig the first appointment with the wrong tool has confused something beyond recognition.

Still waiting on word that they have found the right scan tool. Bad news is that apparently the StarTech is the only tool that can be used.

Am still trying the "nice" route but have an opened Chrysler Cares case if that does not work.

ps just checked cell phone, took picture on 15th before taking in and with 6 miles less on odo than on ticket to verify trim color. Guess what - no light.

I sure hope they get you fixed on their dime. SAVE that DATED PHONE PICTURE! It may be your only proof you brought a car in working and they royally screwed it up. I wish you patience, good luck, and am praying you get them to fix it before litigation!

Old 02-21-2017, 02:49 PM

It seems a couple of bolts were used (27 and 30 Torx). Post 56 ( https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ils-1-day.html ) here is a 27 (and many others mention they are super sure they are a 27, with those also saying 30). So, one post mentioned they (manufacturers) use differing bolts/screws/other in assembly @ whatever was bought at that time. Seems at least BOTH are correct, and some 'may' even have a 25. Sometimes, tool quality also plays into it. I'm just SO HAPPY my job is done, FINALLY! BTW Dave, the second 2 were the same post (I read all of them and had 'deja vu' after the second link! .
Have it your way, I am completely wrong they could be any size you want. You obviously know more about the subject than me so I bow to your superior knowledge.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:13 AM

Have it your way, I am completely wrong they could be any size you want. You obviously know more about the subject than me so I bow to your superior knowledge.

Jeez Dave, relax. I had my experience, quoted others who have different results in their posts. It isn't about who is right or wrong. He11 even the 2 posts you quoted have different sizes mentioned. The guy doing mine used a Torx 27 screwdriver. Maybe I'll go down to harbor freight and see if they have a Torx 27 and 30 screwdriver/allen key, and pop one off for myself. I may not post my result since your so touchy about it. Hope you have a better tomorrow.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:38 AM

I checked last night to confirm which Torx bit was required. The T27 will fit the screw head, but the T30 also fits. So the correct size is a T30. The T27 could be used, but "rounding" of the socket could result.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:18 AM

Jeez Dave, relax. I had my experience, quoted others who have different results in their posts. It isn't about who is right or wrong. He11 even the 2 posts you quoted have different sizes mentioned. The guy doing mine used a Torx 27 screwdriver. Maybe I'll go down to harbor freight and see if they have a Torx 27 and 30 screwdriver/allen key, and pop one off for myself. I may not post my result since your so touchy about it. Hope you have a better tomorrow.

I am not being touchy but there is one size that is correct and that is always the largest size that will fit.
I cannot ignore the bad statements that are made here in error, often what is written in these posts is taken as the truth and lt can lead to a dusaster. There is one thread where someone could not get there steering wheel off because the screw had been damaged by #25 and #27 size bits.
In all bags the #30 is the bit to use. If it does not fit then someone has used a smaller bit at one time and distorted the socket in the screw. The bit is a tight fit with no play, if it wiggles around the bit is the wrong size.
The OEM screws are well made, a cheap ***** bit of the nominally correct size may damage the socket. In a later post Dedwards says he tried and found #30 to be correct.
In standard size screws the bit size is determined by the screw thread size, there are standards for these things, no one arbitrarily decides what size bit to use in a screw.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-22-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:31 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out the airbag codes are DTCs and proprietary and changed. Even a DASH III cannot read them on an 07.

I have contacted AutoEnginuity to find out if their product can communicate with these modules (e.g. ORC). Torque cannot and finds no codes even though my light is on.

Difference seems to be that 07s and 08s have knee air bags also which earlier models did not.

ps "Their lips are moving." - dealers say that about customers
Wondering if this is will be a problem for all 2007 crossfires. I been holding off heading to the dealer.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:27 AM

Think the key is to have the dealer verify there are no lights on when you take it in and have both the Star Case info (post 83) and a photograph of the engine idling/park lights on from the drivers position so can see both the odo and that no airbag light is on. I just happened to take one before I left to verify they got the color right.

ps if you can read the odo in the picture and see the whole cruise control lever, the light is just above the lever.

Might also ask if they have the proper StarScan available.

btw, what does a StarScan Mobile do ? Are quite a bit less expensive than a StarScan.

Last edited by Padgett; 02-22-2017 at 09:35 AM.