All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Bought 2008 Crossfire Coupe - Questions

Old 05-04-2017, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought 2008 Crossfire Coupe - Questions

Hello,

My wife and I just bought a '08 and love it. We mainly bought it for our sons to drive to school, but we are enjoying it as well.

We are looking for local places to change oil, tran fluid and any repairs we may run into. One dealer said that parts for the Crossfire are nearly impossible to get and couldn't change the tran fluid. This completely freaked my wife out that we are screwed if anything happens. Is this something others have ran into? If something happens to the engine internally or transmission is it going to be difficult to get repaired? I live near Columbus OH.

Thanks
B

Old 05-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Bought 2008 Crossfire Coupe - Questions

Send an IM to James1549, he too is in Columbus and see if he will give you a call.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No worries on the engine/tranny. Just find a good independent German repair shop with MB experience. I'm sure they are plentiful in Columbus. Steer clear of dealers unless absolutely necessary.
I believe James is on the south side of Cinci.

Mercedes-Benz Repair Shops in Columbus, OH | Independent Mercedes-Benz Service in Columbus, OH | BenzShops

Last edited by harbor; 05-04-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the replies. I called a local shop that works on German cars and he said not to change the transmission fluid that it is a lifetime seal. He also said you didn't need to use Mobil 1 that as long as you change your oil every 3-5K miles it did not matter what oil you used. What are your thoughts? The garage has been around since I was a kid so I am fairly confident they have vast knowledge.

Thanks again

Old 05-04-2017, 02:06 PM

1. It is NOT a "lifetime" transmission. Change the fluid and filter at LEAST every 100,000 miles, I prefer 60.000.
2. The sticker is right there in the engine compartment from the manufacturer, it says "Use Mobil1 0w40". It's really just the MB spec for the M112 engine that matters.
DO NOT PUT ANY STORE BRAND CHEAP 30W IN IT !!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase ! Pictures ?

Old 05-04-2017, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
1. It is NOT a "lifetime" transmission. Change the fluid and filter at LEAST every 100,000 miles, I prefer 60.000.
2. The sticker is right there in the engine compartment from the manufacturer, it says "Use Mobil1 0w40". It's really just the MB spec for the M112 engine that matters.

It's difficult when you get different responses from people.

For the transmission I had one dealer said they can not change it, one that said they think they can but are checking and than an independent that says don't change it. The dealers are Chrysler even. The car has 67K miles.

For the oil one said use Mobil, one says it doesn't matter and another that said use a synthetic.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by maggy55
Congrats on your new purchase ! Pictures ?
Thanks, I will have to get some shots.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by cobray
It's difficult when you get different responses from people.

For the transmission I had one dealer said they can not change it, one that said they think they can but are checking and than an independent that says don't change it. The dealers are Chrysler even. The car has 67K miles.

For the oil one said use Mobil, one says it doesn't matter and another that said use a synthetic.
Follow the owners manual recommendations with regard to MB spec fluid requirements and change intervals. Also, reading through some of the DIY threads on this forum will get you up-to-speed quickly, i.e., Mann fleece oil filters, Mobil 1 rebates and Zerex G-05 antifreeze.

Attached Images
File Type: png
IMG_0893.PNG (287.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: png
IMG_0894.PNG (468.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by harbor; 05-04-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:22 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

#1 don't change the tranny oil,, and IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE TRANNY FILTER which is all that is needed,, THEN filter the oil and put it back in the tranny, you may need to add a qt or so, but USE the old tranny oil,, if you change the oil, you MAY get leaks,,slippage and the transmission does no like new tranny oil. the shop you GO TO. remember your car has no dip stick so be sure the shop has one.

#2 being i don't think you are racing that car so you could ,,should,, USE MOBLE 0-40, if you don't use syntheticyou will get leaks and sludge,, so change the oil every 5000 miles,, it takes 9 qts. buy the oil at walmart or where ever it is on sale, for around 50 bucks and have any oil change shop change it for around 20 bucks. jim.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:19 PM

After watching the below video I decided to the oil myself. I have changed my Honda Odyssey and Mustangs oil and this looks just as easy plus I know I will be getting the correct oil and filter. Being a Mercedes sort of threw me. Thanks for all the replies and the information this forum supplies.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:32 PM

Here's some more info for future projects. Good luck....

https://howtune.com/vehicles/278-chrysler-crossfire

Old 05-04-2017, 05:59 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Go back to Ala Xfires post and if you haven't gone to the documentation link, do yourself a favor and do so. All kind of info is available through those links.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:47 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by cobray
Thanks, I will have to get some shots.
Originally Posted by amx1397
#1 don't change the tranny oil,, and IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE TRANNY FILTER which is all that is needed,, THEN filter the oil and put it back in the tranny, you may need to add a qt or so, but USE the old tranny oil,, if you change the oil, you MAY get leaks,,slippage and the transmission does no like new tranny oil. the shop you GO TO. remember your car has no dip stick so be sure the shop has one.

#2 being i don't think you are racing that car so you could ,,should,, USE MOBLE 0-40, if you don't use syntheticyou will get leaks and sludge,, so change the oil every 5000 miles,, it takes 9 qts. buy the oil at walmart or where ever it is on sale, for around 50 bucks and have any oil change shop change it for around 20 bucks. jim.
What is the reason not to change the oil? It is the first time I have read that on here, Rudy said to use the MB specified oil and nothing about filtering and reusing the old oil. It all seems strange to me, contaminants that went through the filter once will go through again.
An explanation is required here.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by amx1397

THE CAR DOES NOT USE 9 QTS of Mobil1! If you put more than 8 QTS in it it'll be OVERFILLED!

Old 05-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
THE CAR DOES NOT USE 9 QTS of Mobil1! If you put more than 8 QTS in it it'll be OVERFILLED!

thanks you guys for keeping the information correct, i never look up info just go by memory, and the younger i get the better i don't remember,, 8 qts for the engine, and the rest from two 5qt jugs the rest stays in my car in case i need it. that makes 10 qts for my oil change,, LOL..

I have found that the tranny oil IN MY CAR does not get changed, well only when the tranny gets rebuilt it does get an oil change, I do drain clean (if red) the oil and replace the filter, if the oil is black (burnt) or has LOTS of filing in the pan ,,then it is time to rebuild. i do change my engine oil every 3 to 4 months or 60 1/4 miles runs. the miles would be between 1500 and 2500. jim

Old 05-07-2017, 01:31 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire

DITTO above! All oil/fluids must meet MB specs, full synthetic etc. Transmission fluid/filter change called for at 80k & then "filled for life". DO NOT believe the filled for life part and a little sooner is better. This fluid breaks down from heat and time like all others.
Any competent independent German/MB repair shop would do the trans. fluid/filter/pan gasket and should have the correct "dip stick" for fluid level.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW. This thread seems make people come up with bizarre nonsensical theories regarding ATF and engine Oil Changes. Change the engine oil when the FSS on the dash says to which is at most 7000 miles, use the correct weight synthetic oil.

For the ATF and filter, change them also, there would be nothing wrong with changing it at 60,000 but I would absolutely change it at 100,000. There is a section about how to do so in 2005_Crossfire_Service_Manual.pdf, it's called STANDARD PROCEDURE - FILTER CHANGE.
Never ever put used ATf back in.

It specifies MB and MOPAR ATF fluid part #s and also says "Synthetic Dexron IIIŽ Automatic Transmission Fluid may be substituted." I would use the Dexron because it's probably way cheaper and you should be able to get it at ANY auto parts store.

That's my 2 cents,hope it helps.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:47 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

[CENTE[/CENTER]
Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost

I put 8 litres in as per spec, that does not overfill the engine, that is more than 8 qts. I change it when it has been in there for about 3,000 miles.
We are still waiting for the reason not to change the tranny oil, especially in a car that goes to the drag strip a lot.
Meanwhile I'll change mine at 40,000. Early but what the heck, better too soon than too late.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
[CENTE[/CENTER]
I put 8 litres in as per spec, that does not overfill the engine, that is more than 8 qts. I change it when it has been in there for about 3,000 miles.
We are still waiting for the reason not to change the tranny oil, especially in a car that goes to the drag strip a lot.
Meanwhile I'll change mine at 40,000. Early but what the heck, better too soon than too late.
Are you considering replacing the conductor plate while you have it open ?