All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Can anyone recommend!

Old 02-02-2018, 02:07 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Can anyone recommend!

Can anyone recommend the best code reader for the money that will read and clear codes on the Crossfire?

Old 02-02-2018, 02:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Can anyone recommend!

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Can anyone recommend the best code reader for the money that will read and clear codes on the Crossfire?

I personally like the Ultragauge, it reads, resets codes and gives a readout of about 40 or more functions, like HP, torque, IAT, boost in PSI, etc. All this for around $70 bucks, and you can configure it to show whatever parameters you want to see on 7 selectable pages. I'm not much for smart phones and all the apps, so this is ideal for me.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been reading about the ICarsoft MB II scanner used on mercedes and should work on crossfire. Anyone use that scanner tool ?

Old 02-03-2018, 12:01 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Are some variables & are lotsa threads. If for an '05 and is the only car you want to scan I suspect the iCarsoft MB v1.0 will work. If you may do other cars also then I'd go with the Autel DiagLink. Both are about $110 and can display the deep Mercedes codes.

If you do not care about in-depth codes and more interested in displaying parameters then for $20 Torque Pro and a dongle are hard to beat.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:52 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbridge
I have been reading about the ICarsoft MB II scanner used on mercedes and should work on crossfire. Anyone use that scanner tool ?
I have this one, among others, and it works fine. Just not that many ECM codes on the R170 chassis that were readable. As M-B upgraded the chassis for the SLK series, more & more ECM codes were available. Unfortunately, the Crossfire was never upgraded during its production run. But this scanner will communicate with the SRS system and is able to reset the warning light if and/or when it ever shows up. That is primarily why I bought it.

I have the BlueDriver Bluetooth OBD2 scanner and like it for its remote access. I keep it in the XFire's console and have the app loaded on both my Smartphone & tablet. I can use it anywhere if an issue pops up on the XFire and I need to do some quick diagnosis for the root cause of the problem.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Since I have a Crossfire and a Sprinter it should work for both!

Old 02-04-2018, 01:01 PM

issue with the iCarSoft MB-II is that it cannot download its findings to a PC. I am told the iCarSoft MB v1.0 (smaller screen) is less expensive & cures this but whether it works with the 07 SRS/ORC/AB is the question.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Padgett
issue with the iCarSoft MB-II is that it cannot download its findings to a PC. I am told the iCarSoft MB v1.0 (smaller screen) is less expensive & cures this but whether it works with the 07 SRS/ORC/AB is the question.
The other day I was looking at the website for the BlueDriver OBD2 scanner and found it interesting that they now claim their device will read the SRS codes and clear them. Don't recall seeing that before and must be in a software upgrade for the device. This app is upgraded on my Smartphone and I need to connect with the XFire to see if that feature pulls up. If so, I'll need to update the app on my tablet. And the data files from BlueDriver are downloadable in PDF format.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:20 AM

Blue driver sounds interesting but when I give it '07 Crossfire and the SRS/ORC/AB code B1003 = (Restraint systems control unit) control unit terminal 15R/15 under voltage (see battery comment), the online database comes back "trouble code not found"

Also am concerned that they do not include Mercedes:
Read and Clear Enhanced Codes: e.g. ABS, Airbag, Transmission, etc for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, and Nissan (available worldwide), as well as BMW, VW, and 2003+ Honda (available in North America), since the Crossfire is more Mercedes R170 than Chrysler.

Finally $100 for a special dongle and Andrid APP seems a bit dear. It would be great if we could get a report from someone who has the BlueDriver.

ps there are many devices that can display/clear the normal ODB-II defined codes, it is when you get into the enhanced codes, here are some of the enhanced screens on the icarsoft MB-II. The hard part is being able to display the SRS/OCM/AB modules in an '07 or '08 Crossfire. The iCarSoft MB-II at least displays something. (Do not have any faults and not about to introduce any so do not know if can clear but at least can display something.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mbiisystems.jpg (215.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg
airbagdata07.jpg (228.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Padgett; 02-05-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:09 PM

Finally $100 for a special dongle and Andrid APP seems a bit dear. It would be great if we could get a report from someone who has the BlueDriver.
Attached are copies of reports I downloaded from Bluedriver a year or 2 back. Didn't have any codes to read, so didn't create that report.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:05 PM

FWIW - Attached is a Sample Report that Bluedriver would generate if a trouble code was found during the OBD2 scan. I downloaded this just about 30 minutes ago during a new scan of the XFire. Used the App on my Smartphone. Once again - No Trouble Codes!!

Attached Files

Last edited by dedwards0323; 02-05-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:33 PM

Think you will find the enclosed more accurate (the BD report did not mention the knee air bags). All of what you sent is available online though it is useful that they collected it in one place though that didn't include anything they collected specifically from your car (except maybe the VIN).

Note: I've been analyzing web stuff for a long time and found many interesting things that are available. You do have to go to about four different sites to gather what they collected.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1C3LN69L47X074235.pdf (5.4 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Padgett; 02-05-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:45 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Think you will find the enclosed more accurate (the BD report did not mention the knee air bags). All of what you sent is available online though it is useful that they collected it in one place though that didn't include anything they collected specifically from your car (except maybe the VIN).

Note: I've been analyzing web stuff for a long time and found many interesting things that are available. You do have to go to about four different sites to gather what they collected.
What you list is the build sheet surely?
Use the quote function, it is hard at times to see what you are replying in to

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-05-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:42 AM

Curious where you got the equipment listing file (e.g., build sheet) for my Crossfire? I saved it, but would like to know where and/or how to retrieve this info.

Originally Posted by onehundred80
What you list is the build sheet surely?
Use the quote function, it is hard at times to see what you are replying in to
I think he was responding to my posts just ahead of his.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:02 PM

I use several:
-
Vindecoderzthat can show exactly how a car was built.
-
VehicleHistory for the history of the car.
-Florida DHS the Florida VIN checker to show any liens
- NHTSA for US recalls

In many cases you can also check the manufacture's web site for recalls but the BD list obviously came from NHTSA because it also had Mercedes.