All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Air Bag Light

Old 08-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag Light

I have a 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Limited Roadster with 83,600 miles I bought 10 years ago and the airbag light went on I am interested in selling it now , my extended warranty from Chrysler expired in Nov of 2016, Any help on whats involved to fix and the cost?

Old 08-24-2018, 09:27 AM
Default Re: Air Bag Light

Originally Posted by Tampaal
I have a 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Limited Roadster with 83,600 miles I bought 10 years ago and the airbag light went on I am interested in selling it now , my extended warranty from Chrysler expired in Nov of 2016, Any help on whats involved to fix and the cost?
try adjusting your telescopic steering wheel

Old 08-24-2018, 11:15 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Need to check if the Airbag Recall is in effect for your car.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:49 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Any codes ???

Last edited by ZERACER; 11-20-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:16 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampaal
Take the car up to a local Auto Parts store (e.g., O'Reilly's). Most of these shops will offer a free air bag (SRS) clear alarm service. I had a 2006 VW Beetle that I was re-working the console. Air bag warning light came on when I got everything back together. The O'Reilly's near me uses a BOSCH code reader tool and it reset the VW's air bag system. If that doesn't work, you may have to find a Chrysler dealer near you that still has the DRB3 code reader. With that tool, they can clear the SRS light.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Need to check if the Airbag Recall is in effect for your car.
The Takata air bag recall was only for 2007 & 2008 model years, if I remember correctly.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:06 PM

How long is a safety recall good for? As they set us a card 2 years ago and said it could cause death.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:42 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by ILOVEMYJOB
How long is a safety recall good for? As they set us a card 2 years ago and said it could cause death.
Being alive causes death.

Iv'e had two Takata airbags go off on me since 2014. A Crossfire and a Dodge Truck. In both instances, my only injuries, I admit, came from the airbag. One time, a cut in my leg below my knee. The other, a cut on my arm, both from flying shrapnel. Had one hit me in the eye I'd be blind in that eye, but I wear eye protection anyway.

My 2005 Ford Ranger got it's new airbag (same recall) this past February. It's a federally mandated recall, it isnt going to expire anytime soon.
You gotta take it to a dealer, which I never will - once they mess with the car there is no assurance you will have a driveable car after.

Proceed at your own risk - but don't come crying back here when you get the car back and these is some problem with it that was not there before.

I REFUSED to take my truck in, so they came to the house and did the job in my driveway. Last time I took a car to a dealer, somene backed into it and my insurance had to pay, which was a claim I had to file. Did you see my sigline?

Last edited by pizzaguy; 10-12-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:26 PM

What do they need to do to the car to make the airbag operate as intended? And can I do the work myself? Or take it to my trusted mechanic.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:34 PM

You say the insurance had to pay. With insurance I've always found that I was the one who was paying. I heard insurance was for selling not for using. Live in Florida my flood insurance doubled this year I chose not to get it I was on the edge of my seat for a little while. Tim over and out

Old 10-13-2022, 07:38 AM

I believe there is no expiration date on the safety recall. When I had mine repaired, I contacted Chrysler per their letter and they arranged everything to get the airbag corrected.

What do they need to do to the car to make the airbag operate as intended? And can I do the work myself? Or take it to my trusted mechanic.
The Driver's Side airbag will need to be replaced. Chrysler or a Chrysler Dealer will need to order the replacement airbag for your car from their parts warehouse. Warehouse for me was located in Atlanta; next day delivery to the dealer. An appointment will need to be scheduled with a nearby dealer to have the airbag replaced. Chrysler helped me get this setup. They wanted to have me take the car to the closest dealer & I refused that dealer because they never sold the Crossfire; they only took over the Chrysler dealership when Chrysler was consolidating its operations in my area. I insisted on taking the car to a dealer across town that sold Crossfires and had Service Techs that were familiar with the car. Chrysler never had an issue with that. Took only about an hour to perform the work. Tell them you will wait on the car so they will start performing the work right away (get an early morning appointment). It's an easy job for the Dealer Service Dept to do and they get well paid by Chrysler.

And make sure you have checked for any codes that may have generated in the OBD2. The Service Greeter right away hooked up to my XFire to check for codes to see if he could generate more work on the car. I had checked the night before & knew there were no codes present. I told the Service Greeter to just get the airbag replaced & not worry about anything else that my XFire might have needed.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 10-13-2022 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:37 AM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I believe there is no expiration date on the safety recall. When I had mine repaired, I contacted Chrysler per their letter and they arranged everything to get the airbag corrected.

The Driver's Side airbag will need to be replaced. Chrysler or a Chrysler Dealer will need to order the replacement airbag for your car from their parts warehouse. Warehouse for me was located in Atlanta; next day delivery to the dealer. An appointment will need to be scheduled with a nearby dealer to have the airbag replaced. Chrysler helped me get this setup. They wanted to have me take the car to the closest dealer & I refused that dealer because they never sold the Crossfire; they only took over the Chrysler dealership when Chrysler was consolidating its operations in my area. I insisted on taking the car to a dealer across town that sold Crossfires and had Service Techs that were familiar with the car. Chrysler never had an issue with that. Took only about an hour to perform the work. Tell them you will wait on the car so they will start performing the work right away (get an early morning appointment). It's an easy job for the Dealer Service Dept to do and they get well paid by Chrysler.

And make sure you have checked for any codes that may have generated in the OBD2. The Service Greeter right away hooked up to my XFire to check for codes to see if he could generate more work on the car. I had checked the night before & knew there were no codes present. I told the Service Greeter to just get the airbag replaced & not worry about anything else that my XFire might have needed.

On top of this advice above from dedwards, TAKE PICTURE(s) of the dash (including all the side panels and console passenger AB light) BEFORE they take the keys (in front of them while the car is running if you want them to be extra careful because they will see you take the pictures and tell all involved). Also, you have heard they drive customers vehicles sometimes for parts runs or joyrides so if you have the dash odometer reading, you'll know if they took it out on the road. IF they screw the system up and the light is on, you'll be able to PROVE it happened at the dealership. Also IF the car has a TUNE, do not let them flash the ECU or TCU (if a trans tune was purchased). Usually, if a tune is wiped by an upgraded tune, you may have to purchase it again if the tuner has that policy. I told the dealer to note 'DO NOT FLASH ANY FIRMWARE UPGRADES' in my ECU (for my engine tune). Finally, I would NOT TRUST any airbag from any third party. Some members purchased an airbag for the recall from third party sources. You just MIGHT be purchasing an airbag that is defective or part of the recall. Your vehicle must be 'checked off' by the authorized recall stations to be 'valid'. A dealership (or prior coordinated authorization coordinated by Fiat/Chrysler or current owner of) must certify the recall was done properly (to be valid). Good LUCK at a dealership, protect your car!

Old 10-13-2022, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

I like how others are demonstrating great dis-trust of dealers. It aint just me.