All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

If you had it to do again

Old 01-11-2019, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you had it to do again

Hi. Brand new member and not yet an owner. Pretty sure I will be. But before I take the plunge I am trying to learn more about Crossfires. This question may have been asked before but I would appreciate a fresh opinion.
Knowing what you know now, if you were to purchase your first Crossfire today, what would it be and why?

Old 01-11-2019, 03:03 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts
Default re: If you had it to do again

I still have my first Crossfire, 12 1/2 years later, and have no regrets. In my opinion is is just as unique and ageless as the day I bought it.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:05 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I own a 2005 NA Roadster. If I had a do-over, I'd have a 2005 Graphite SRT6 Roadster.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

We got our Silver Crossfire in September after a 10 year 2-seater dry spell since trading in Silver Bullet I (300ZX) on yet another SUV.
With medical advice to stay out of the sun (in FL, no less - and no more sailing) we opted for another coupe, WITH tinted windows.
The NA has plenty of power for Geezers like us - I no longer need to do wheelies like my '69 Vette could do back in the day.
The Crossfire is a superb value for a Mercedes 2-seater with a unique German body; it is a joy to drive.
As you have been on the forum awhile, you know the "must do's": Sticky Key Fix, the 2 CPSs, RCM Fix, have 2 keys, and a spare SKREEM (for ease of mind).
Good luck in finding your "new" Crossfire!

PS: Don't forget the re-badging decals from Andrew
!

Last edited by Chooch; 01-11-2019 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 01-11-2019, 04:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

NickytheSquid,

Thought wise, I did exactly what you initially did. Read up on these cars and read lots on this forum, a God send. I really owe having one of these cars to my wife. After owning a '65, 2 top, side exhaust, solid lifter Corvette for 37 years, it was time to let go. My wife said let's look at a Crossfire. For the life of me, I couldn't picture the car. YOUTUBE and EBAY is your friend. What a short production run, 5 years and no more. As I researched these Crossfires, I realized the 2 years they made the SRT6 was the car to go after.. Found ours last August in Northern Michigan with 39K on the clock. Just a sweet, tight car with 115 more horses then the NA version (which has plenty of power as is...guys and gals on this forum will confirm that). The only downside to the SRT6 is they're all automatics. Bad for me (love rowing the gears), good for my wife!

Good luck on your hunt (almost as much fun as pulling the trigger).

Last edited by CROSSFIRERUSH; 01-11-2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: lacked commentary
Old 01-12-2019, 12:28 AM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

We have three, 2 SRTs and 1 N/A. The SRTs don’t get out a lot and are just for fun, the N/A is my wife’s driver. If I only could have one it would have to be an SRT, probable a roadster.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought an NA roadster in Nov 2016.....then bought an SRT coupe in Sept 2017. I like having both for different reasons. If I didn't have them and were buying one now....and only one.....I'd probably go for an SRT roadster..

Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

Hello Nicky and welcome
I bought my first 2004 Crossfire Coupe in 2007
1 previous lease/owner before I got it
It only had 17000 miles when I bought it
I just sold it in March last year with 111,000 miles on it
I purchased an Aero Blue Roadster from a friend who had hers for 9 years
It's a 6 Speed manual and I love it
SRT's are supercharged with a 100hp more than the regular Crossfires (na) naturally aspirated) engine
If you buy one from a member here you are likely to get one cared for because most of us here understand these cars better and take good care of them
Good luck with your search
There is one out there waiting for you

Gary

Old 01-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Forum Regular
Received 149 Likes on 115 Posts

"If I had a do-over, I'd have a 2005 Graphite SRT6 Roadster" - ALA_xfire

EXACTLY what I would recommend for a variety of reasons.
Noteworthy: performance, rarity, and in the case of Graphite Grey low numbers.
Either model SRT -coupe or roadster !!

Old 01-12-2019, 10:44 AM

Hello to Zeracer, ala_xfire, Chooch, CROSSFIRERUSH, JSK, STRANDD and Valk
Thank you for sharing beautiful pics and great advice. All this info is new for me and I will study it all carefully.

I was the proud and happy owner of a Retro T-Bird for quite a few years and loved every mile of it. I took such good care of it that I put more hours cleaning than I did driving and burned myself out. I was also an active member of an online T-bird club. I enjoyed and appreciated it immensely.

Always liked the looks of the Crossfire. I hope I can put more miles driving it and just keep it real nice. Barbara and I are Snow birds. 6 months here in Ormond Beach, FL and 6 in Pembroke, MA. I would just leave it here in FL I think.

I really love the looks of the coupe and would prefer the 6 speed stick. Second would be the Roadster also 6 speed. Like most of you said I would prefer most options of the SRT's but not crazy that it has an Automatic Trany. My other concern about the SRT is the fixed spoiler. I really appreciate the barrel back of these cars and wonder if the fixed spoiler detracts from the look. My 6 foot frame has dwindled to about 5' 10 1/2 and my back is not so great. Is the coupe tough to get in and out of? How about the Roadster if the top is up?

Nick

Old 01-12-2019, 10:49 AM

Thank you copperfieldkid. Definitely all good reasons to seek out the Graphite SRT6.
Nick

Old 01-12-2019, 12:15 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

We own two ourselves, mine is an '07 SSB Coupe and my wife's is an '05 Alabaster Roadster. I've owned mine since late '08 and the wife's since '09. The only thing I would change personally would be to an Aeroblue Coupe instead of the SSBlue.
Good luck on your hunt.

Our two baby's

Old 01-12-2019, 12:35 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by NickytheSquid
Hello to Zeracer, ala_xfire, Chooch, CROSSFIRERUSH, JSK, STRANDD and Valk
Second would be the Roadster also 6 speed. Like most of you said I would prefer most options of the SRT's but not crazy that it has an Automatic Trany. My other concern about the SRT is the fixed spoiler. I really appreciate the barrel back of these cars and wonder if the fixed spoiler detracts from the look. My 6 foot frame has dwindled to about 5' 10 1/2 and my back is not so great. Is the coupe tough to get in and out of? How about the Roadster if the top is up?

Nick
I've had three Limited/Base Roadsters, like the stick. BUT, a modded SRT's power is addictive. I may be moving to an SRT for my 4th Crossfire, but if I do, it' wont' be stock. The SRT is faster, but not enough to sway me away from a stick. A MODDED SRT is another thing..............

As to head room in a Roadster, I don't drive mine with the top up much at all, but I CAN, I'm 5'10" and it's fine. One thing, The limited and SRT seats are power, the Base/SE are manual. The Manual seats can be adjusted about 1 1/2" lower - makes a world of difference to me. Loving my SE for a whole host of reasons, but the low seats AND the super comfortableness of said seats are two top reasons.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I've had three Limited/Base Roadsters, like the stick. BUT, a modded SRT's power is addictive. I may be moving to an SRT for my 4th Crossfire, but if I do, it' wont' be stock. The SRT is faster, but not enough to sway me away from a stick. A MODDED SRT is another thing..............

As to head room in a Roadster, I don't drive mine with the top up much at all, but I CAN, I'm 5'10" and it's fine. One thing, The limited and SRT seats are power, the Base/SE are manual. The Manual seats can be adjusted about 1 1/2" lower - makes a world of difference to me. Loving my SE for a whole host of reasons, but the low seats AND the super comfortableness of said seats are two top reasons.
Forget the stick, I had one and they are a pain in the RS in town, you forget it all when you stomp on it on the highway. The extra 110/130 hp (it depends who you believe) make a lot of difference, get the paddle shift kit if you still can.
Pizzaguy is sorry he did not get one.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

agreed! paddle shift is the bomb and makes you forget stick. I got the srt6 roadster and have been slowly modding it for 5 years now. Love it like crazy. Love my wife more though :-)

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Forget the stick, I had one and they are a pain in the RS in town, you forget it all when you stomp on it on the highway. The extra 110/130 hp (it depends who you believe) make a lot of difference, get the paddle shift kit if you still can.
Pizzaguy is sorry he did not get one.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:44 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

I did it again and I sold my 04 Coupe with autostick and bought an 05 Roadster 6 speed manual
You will see strong opinions on both sides of this (automatic vs. manual) but in the end what is most important to you ??
100 extra horsepower with autostick in a SRT or a 6 speed manual and a clutch in any other Crossfire.
Regardless of which one you have they will both go 155mph and give ya a perma-grin

Old 01-12-2019, 04:30 PM

Whatever you get you must have it looked at by a mechanic first or at least get it on a hoist. A group of us looked at one for someone who could not see it personally. It looked pretty rough on the ground but when it was on a hoist it was really rough. Remember you can buff up an apple pretty good but it still may have a rotten core.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NickytheSquid
Is the coupe tough to get in and out of? How about the Roadster if the top is up?

Nick
It's a little difficult.....but worth it. My roadster is lowered and still easier to get in and out of even with the top up than the coupe. I'm about same height as you....just haven't measured myself lately.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by STRANDD
It's a little difficult.....but worth it. My roadster is lowered and still easier to get in and out of even with the top up than the coupe. I'm about same height as you....just haven't measured myself lately.
I am down to 5’ 10” from 6’, and a bad back. It is OK to get into, the right leg goes in, then my RS, ducking I go in as straight as possible to avoid swivelling on the seat and wearing the material. More or less reverse getting out, it is harder to get out than in actually.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would buy a base 05 so I would get the less complex airbag system and no rear speakers to deal with. I would get a clean title free of accidents. Mine is an 07 salvage title car but it has absolutely no rust (rare for a Canadian car).

I've put a 365mm atiwe airbag steering wheel (smaller than oem) in mine and I had to wire in a resistor on one of the airbag wires (to remove the air bag light) and retrofit the old single stage plug on the other wire (it's a dual stage system on later cars) . An 05 would have made that installation bolt on/plug and play.

Also, many people on the forum have been suggesting that the cloth seats are more supportive on the base. I would just swap in sport seats.

If I was you I would wait until we get a permanent fix for the skreem and other modules that prevents the car from starting.

Last edited by alexdc; 01-14-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: If you had it to do again