All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Headlight help

Old 03-26-2019, 05:29 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts
Default Headlight help

Okay, I know I'm getting old and am not as sharp as I once was but I have searched the Owners Manual, Student Guide and how to section and can find nothing on how to remove and replace the complete headlight, not just the bulb. Anytips on where to look for this information would be greatly appreciated. One of mine was so badly stained on the inside I just decided to replace it. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:15 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Headlight help

Originally Posted by ZERACER
Okay, I know I'm getting old and am not as sharp as I once was but I have searched the Owners Manual, Student Guide and how to section and can find nothing on how to remove and replace the complete headlight, not just the bulb. Anytips on where to look for this information would be greatly appreciated. One of mine was so badly stained on the inside I just decided to replace it. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
have you already tried this ?
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post659138

Old 03-26-2019, 09:17 PM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

I'm guessing you already have a replacement headlight lens, so you can see the screws on the top which have to be removed as well as the electrical connections, but there are a couple on the bottom of the lens which also must come off. I found it easiest to remove the entire liner at the forward area of the wheel well (were you can access the fog light). The lens will not simple pull up or out. It is a tight fit so you will have to wiggle and push to get it out, but it will come out undamaged. The new one goes back in the same way. As I recall one of those screws on the bottom is used to adjust the rear or side height of the lens, so pay attention to the position of that screw so you get the new lens back at the same height.
After I installed new headlights, I protected them with EXPELL clear film, and that has worked very well. They no longer make the Crossfire pre-cut kit, but Weathertech has a kit and I would think there are several others available. I would highly recommend you cover those new lenses with a thick film that protects not from just UV light, but small rocks and other things that can cause scratches and chips.

Last edited by zip439; 03-26-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:05 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I have found that removing the grille will make it much easier. And also remove the screw (on core support) that holds the front cover area between the grille and headlight. When removing the headlight, you can gently pull the cover outward to give more clearance.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:32 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:45 PM

Okay, I replaced my passenger side headlight. It took about 1 1/2 hours but was not a bad as I thought. The first thing I did was jack up the car and remove the wheel. I then dropped the lower engine cover and removed the front fender well liner from the wheel well. The engine cover must be removed to get at two fasteners to the frame for the liner. They are up inside. After removing the liner it was easy to get to the two bottom bolts for the light and the two on top. Unfortunately it seems impossible to get the light out at that point so I loosened the front bumper so I could pull it down a bit allowing the light to clear. It is only three fasteners. There is one under the hood right next to head headlight fastener and two up inside that attach it to the fender. They can be easily reached with a long extension through the opening made by removing the fender well cover. Then pull down again to insert the new headlight and reinstall everything in reverse of removal. It is a bit time consuming but not hard.