All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

how long to start rolling?

Old 06-26-2020, 01:19 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default how long to start rolling?

how long you take to start rolling from the moment you start the engine?
most people i see at the parking lot, as soon as the engine starts they press the pedal and away they go.
but i heard from people that are knowledgeable on the matter that you have to wait for the oil to circulate around and the pressure to reach the level when there is oil flowing between the parts and everything is lubricated as it was designed to be. and it makes sense to me.
some say it takes about 1 minute.
and the longer the car is parked, the more important this is.
the less times an engine stops, and the less time it is not running, the longer its life.
you can see taxicabs that operate 24 hours reaching 500,000 kms before overhaul.
i always wait about 1 minute. at that time, the engine feels smoother. i get more power.
and by just doing this, and changing oil (and filter) frequently, i have been able to get great mileage.

Last edited by phil alvirez; 06-30-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:38 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: how long to start rolling?

I start the car and then take the time to put on the seatbelt and check the gauges. That takes ~10 seconds and off I go. I avoid high rpm until the engine is warmed up. That is probably more important to a turbo engine than na or s/c, but I apply the rule to my Audis and Maserati and they are all high mileage vehicles with few problems. My 2003 Audi A6 2.7T was sold after 13 years and 236k miles!

Old 06-28-2020, 06:41 AM
Received 390 Likes on 337 Posts

Controversial, BUT... Once the car is started, the oil is pretty much throughout all the oil channels within a couple to a few seconds. Advice now is to just start the car, and drive ( https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...before-driving ), and ( https://carfromjapan.com/article/dri...efore-driving/ ). Waiting more than a couple of seconds to drive off is not advised, and hasn't been for many years. Once the oil is in circulation, its MAIN job is to draw away heat generated in those close tolerances places (said bearings and such). The old days where ppl were told to 'warm' up a car, is long gone. Even then, it was for the emissions and the heater, that ppl were letting it 'warm up'.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:46 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

When the car is cold oil has been left on the wear surfaces, a one way valve stops the oil from drawing. back to the sump so the galleries are still filled with oil, so just get in, start the car, buckle up and drive.
You are not going to the moon so a long countdown is not needed to check that all systems are go.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

While I generally agree that 0 and 5 weight oils certainly flow better at lower temps than the heavy stuff of yesteryear, I still let mine run 20-30 seconds before I drive it, or speed the engine above idle.

Put an oil pressure gauge on your engine - tell me that temperature does not matter. My idle pressure at 60F exceeds 100 pounds with 5W40. Hot engine idle pressure runs around 14-18 pounds. Sure seems like a hell of a difference to me.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:53 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
While I generally agree that 0 and 5 weight oils certainly flow better at lower temps than the heavy stuff of yesteryear, I still let mine run 20-30 seconds before I drive it, or speed the engine above idle.

Put an oil pressure gauge on your engine - tell me that temperature does not matter. My idle pressure at 60F exceeds 100 pounds with 5W40. Hot engine idle pressure runs around 14-18 pounds. Sure seems like a hell of a difference to me.
As the pump rotates proportional to any given engine speed the pressure is related to back pressure caused by the resistance to the forward motion of the thicker oil. The amount of oil pumped only slightly drops due to the inefficiency of the pump. For all intents and purposes the same amount of oil is being moved, getting going warms the oil faster and is recommended. The oil also carries away heat from the bearing surfaces.