All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Buy a Crossfire?

Old 12-02-2022, 05:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buy a Crossfire?

I'd like some opinions on buying a Crossfire. , The problem is that i'm not 'handy at all, so if they tend to have issues it might not be the car for me.

Old 12-02-2022, 06:06 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Re: Buy a Crossfire?

First of all. where do you live?

The following users liked this post:
eelya1 (01-08-2023)
Old 12-02-2022, 09:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 157 Likes on 119 Posts

The problem is that i'm not 'handy at all, so if they tend to have issues it might not be the car for me.
Regardless of where you live they have issues. If you familiarize yourself with the various areas on the forum you will discover the common problems associated with these cars.

Last edited by copperfieldkid; 12-02-2022 at 09:37 PM.
eelya1 (12-08-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 10:25 AM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

I was asking because more assistance with issues is available in some places more than others as well as road conditions on certain components. I have two I have had no issues with.

eelya1 (12-08-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
I was asking because more assistance with issues is available in some places more than others as well as road conditions on certain components. I have two I have had no issues with.
I'm in Charlotte. NC

Old 12-04-2022, 08:35 AM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

Good advice to look around the Forum to see what issues Owners are dealing with. Many nuisance versions can be corrected with minimal automotive repair skills if you follow the recommendations & procedures previous owners have listed on the Forum. For any significant issue that comes up, you just need to locate a reputable Mercedes independent repair facility in the Charlotte metro area. There is a thread on the Forum that lists service shops recommended by Owners. You need to search for it. You can also use this website to locate reputable M-B independent service shops in Charlotte area: CLICK. These service shops should be able to handle any issue that surfaces regarding the power train, rolling chassis & many of the electrical issues since the Crossfire is a M-B SLK 320 of the first iteration (R170 chassis) but with a better looking body designed by Chrysler.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 12-04-2022 at 08:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dedwards0323:
eelya1 (12-08-2022), exparamedic (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Good advice to look around the Forum to see what issues Owners are dealing with. Many nuisance versions can be corrected with minimal automotive repair skills if you follow the recommendations & procedures previous owners have listed on the Forum. For any significant issue that comes up, you just need to locate a reputable Mercedes independent repair facility in the Charlotte metro area. There is a thread on the Forum that lists service shops recommended by Owners. You need to search for it. You can also use this website to locate reputable M-B independent service shops in Charlotte area: CLICK. These service shops should be able to handle any issue that surfaces regarding the power train, rolling chassis & many of the electrical issues since the Crossfire is a M-B SLK 320 of the first iteration (R170 chassis) but with a better looking body designed by Chrysler.
Thanks... going to see one today... a low miles black roadster

Last edited by eelya1; 12-08-2022 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:20 AM
Forum Regular

This link will give you more insight for choosing a Crossfire.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-what-not.html

eelya1 (12-08-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 10:20 AM
Received 134 Likes on 111 Posts

As with any car that is 14 to 18 years old you will have issues. I have an 07 roadster 49k which I've owned for 5 years bought it with 28k no problems except rear convertible window coming unglued which is a common problem. Buy from someone who has taken good care of the car. The condition will tell you a lot. I've got a lot of enjoyment and pride driving, owning and working on my Crossfire. You are more capable of working on a car than you think, push the boundaries and grow

Last edited by dcskmail; 01-08-2023 at 09:48 PM.
eelya1 (12-08-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 10:35 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

No one buys a Crossfire, you adopt a Crossfire. When issues arise, it is up to you to get them fixed, as there is no factory support for this car - therefore, when you take the car to a Chrysler dealer, nothing good happens. The ONLY factory support is for the federal airbag fix - it can still be very costly for this 'free' repair, but at least there is limited factory support for this. It's just that the dealer will keep the car if they can't get the airbag module to respond after the fix, (for your safety, of course, so don't get mad about the additional costs and delays-you were the fool who went to a dealer) and you are liable for the costs of the additional repair.

If you are a member here or on one of the facebook pages, there is help for any issue that arises. The volume of knowledge here is extensive.

My warning, once you get past all the common checks (looking for leaking fluids, how does it start and run, etc.) is that when you bring it home you:
  • Order an RCM and learn how easy it is to change it (no tools needed, ANYONE can change it) and learn the symptoms that tell you the RCM has failed.
  • Order a BOSCH Crank position sensor and put it in the trunk.
  • Check the battery, is it over 48 months old? If so, replace it and do that every 48 months. Put in one of the simple ground fixes in this thread (cost is an hour of labor and $25 for parts)
  • Take the oil filter carrier out and verify that the filter is a Fleece and not paper filter.
  • If it is a convertible (Roadster) exercise the top every three weeks but not below 35F.
  • Avoid dealers.
  • Do not take the car to a dealer for anything other than TPMS resetting.
  • Stay away from dealers.
  • Remember that dealers won't help you.
  • Dont even hire a tow truck operated by a dealer.

The following 3 users liked this post by pizzaguy:
CrossFireBuyer53 (12-08-2022), eelya1 (12-08-2022), lovecross (12-18-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 07:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience, only. The Crossfire is not a turn key & drive automobile. The car is not a Mercedes Benz, the car is not a Chrysler. In my opinion it's the best and the worst of both worlds. If you want to own a Crossfire be prepared to deal with whatever issue at whatever cost. I drive mine approximately 3 to 500mi almost every weekend and the care and feeding has been substantial. If I had not found who I would consider one of the best mechanics in South Fl, if not anywhere, I would have had to part ways with my pride & joy 6 months after I purchased it. Before I would even consider purchasing one of these cars I would first find an available first class mechanic who knows everything about this crossbreed & how to repair it at a more or less reasonable cost. I find the only difference between owning a pet and owning a Crossfire - you can leave a Crossfire locked up for more than a week and when you get home it's no worse for wear & ready to go.

Last edited by batmanmiami1; 12-09-2022 at 08:35 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by batmanmiami1:
copperfieldkid (12-09-2022), eelya1 (12-08-2022), exparamedic (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 09:45 PM
Forum Regular

Spoiler

If any statement on this board aptly describes the meaning of ownership by way of explanation this is it.

Last edited by copperfieldkid; 12-08-2022 at 09:55 PM.
eelya1 (01-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2022, 10:42 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I totally agree with batmanmiami1.
I would like to add that my friend is an excellent mechanic but not a Mercedes mechanic. In his home shop, we have been able to fix anything that came up. I have also been able to do a lot of repairs in my own garage.
BUT....
We have only been able to do this because of this forum. I have a binder full of things that I have printed from this forum and put to use in the garage.
The diagnostic guides, instructions, videos, pictures, diagrams are all beyond priceless. Bonus when part numbers, sockets and screwdriver sizes, and torque settings are included.
A huge thank you to all who have contributed their expertise and guidance on this forum.
I am truly grateful.
Would I buy a Crossfire again? Yes. But then I had a Fiero for 27 years and was used to this kind of relationship.
Thanks again
Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by exparamedic:
eelya1 (01-08-2023), lovecross (12-18-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 08:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I always wondered who the other person was that one.. Every had to replace the alternator (generator?) belt in the dark at 2 in the morning or you'd freeze to death or get eaten by wolves. First time I learned the true meaning of "colorful language"

eelya1 (01-08-2023)
Old 12-09-2022, 09:39 AM

Speaking of belts....
Way way back I had a Corvair. Loved it but it ate belts with the 90 degree direction change over the top of the engine and then down. Got pretty good at changing them.
Then a Fiat 850 Spider convertible which was surprisingly reliable and took everything that I dished out.
Nightmare experience with a 1976 MGB which was only a year old and under 20,000 miles when I bought it. Everything went wrong with that car.
Fiero was a breath of fresh air after that MGB.

Someone once said that some parts of a vehicle were designed and engineered by true craftsmen. Other parts were by Moe, Larry, and Curly Joe.

Jim

eelya1 (01-08-2023)
Old 12-28-2022, 12:53 PM

I kind of disagree that it is not "turn key and drive". I bought my roadster new and the only issues were the fan recall and a slipped transmission shift cable. Otherwise trouble-free for 65k miles. Bought the SRT6 in 2008 with 16.5k miles and only problems were the supercharger pump (fixed under warranty using documentation from this forum) and then a popped plenum plug. Currently at 42k miles. Both vehicles serviced by an indie shop that specializes in European metal. Also both stored during the Michigan winters, so only driven 7-8 months/year.

eelya1 (01-08-2023)
Old 12-28-2022, 03:40 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

I have had two Crossfires, one brand new NA that I drove for 24,000 miles in six years and an SRT that I have driven for 25,000 miles in eleven years. No trouble at all except I thought the brake pedal was too low, it’s up a bit now. Then I had an air filter on the NeedsWings CAI that disintegrated and a part got jammed in the throttle. It disintegrated because I had got it with as a spare when I purchased the car and fitted it when I cleaned the original one. I found the instructions for it a year later and they said not to oil it, but I had. Oops, dodged a bullet there. No other troubles so I cannot complain.
We have more problems reported now because the cars are older and in many cases have been neglected and abused. The reason people sold the car was because it was having too many problems.

eelya1 (01-08-2023)
Old 12-28-2022, 04:15 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
No one buys a Crossfire, you adopt a Crossfire. When issues arise, it is up to you to get them fixed, as there is no factory support for this car - therefore, when you take the car to a Chrysler dealer, nothing good happens. The ONLY factory support is for the federal airbag fix - it can still be very costly for this 'free' repair, but at least there is limited factory support for this. It's just that the dealer will keep the car if they can't get the airbag module to respond after the fix, (for your safety, of course, so don't get mad about the additional costs and delays-you were the fool who went to a dealer) and you are liable for the costs of the additional repair.

If you are a member here or on one of the facebook pages, there is help for any issue that arises. The volume of knowledge here is extensive.

My warning, once you get past all the common checks (looking for leaking fluids, how does it start and run, etc.) is that when you bring it home you:
  • Order an RCM and learn how easy it is to change it (no tools needed, ANYONE can change it) and learn the symptoms that tell you the RCM has failed.
  • Order a BOSCH Crank position sensor and put it in the trunk.
  • Check the battery, is it over 48 months old? If so, replace it and do that every 48 months. Put in one of the simple ground fixes in this thread (cost is an hour of labor and $25 for parts)
  • Take the oil filter carrier out and verify that the filter is a Fleece and not paper filter.
  • If it is a convertible (Roadster) exercise the top every three weeks but not below 35F.
  • Avoid dealers.
  • Do not take the car to a dealer for anything other than TPMS resetting.
  • Stay away from dealers.
  • Remember that dealers won't help you.
  • Dont even hire a tow truck operated by a dealer.
Given the last few posts, I want to make clear that I am not trying to discourage someone from buying one of these wonderful cars. But I AM willing to 'bend over backwards' to emphasize the challenges one might encounter owning one. The frustrating thing is, if you have a spare crank sensor, RCM and two keys, you are pretty much good to go. MOST of the "my Crossfire left me stranded" problems are RCM or Crank sensor related. Remember, the RCM can be changed standing in a parking lot without ANY tools or special know-how.

And as to expensive repairs, Robert McCubbin changed my fuel filter/pump in his driveway. My Ford Ranger was a mess, had to drop the tank - total cost with tow was almost $1100.
NOTHING on the Crossfire costs that much, altho tires come close. (The new top was under $750.)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 12-28-2022 at 04:17 PM.
eelya1 (12-28-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 10:18 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Buy one that has been stored in the winters if it is from the rust belt and look under the fender lips for rust. Buy one that is low mileage and has been maintained correctly and not thrashed everywhere it went, look under the hood and put it on a hoist to look underneath.
Look for one with few owners, as too many owners points to people unloading a lemon.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-29-2022 at 10:21 AM.
eelya1 (01-08-2023)
Old 12-29-2022, 01:47 PM
Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Find someone who can help you do a used car inspection. Looking for obvious things like corrosion, leaks, worn or damaged suspension components, etc. Drive it and make sure YOU fit the car and not the other way around. Specialty cars have a certain way of communicating with potential owners and you want to make sure YOU can adapt to the cars quirks and issues. As stated above, spare key is great as is any kind of service history. If you buy one, get a spare RCM and crank sensor and throw them in the trunk for a rainy day. Speaking of rain, make sure there's no rain on the passenger side floorboard.

The following 2 users liked this post by xfClifford:
CROSSFIRERUSH (01-17-2023), eelya1 (01-08-2023)

Quick Reply: Buy a Crossfire?