General This section is threads for discussion that is not related to the Crossfire or other cars. It can be about sports, movies etc. - But NO POLITICS please

Best Match-up NED has seen (New England Dragway)

Old 06-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Match-up NED has seen (New England Dragway)

Chilling at the dragway the other night, basking in the ambience, it was a beautiful night: my brother red-lighting every run, my father drilling in a 12.6 @ 112.87 in his 300 SRT, and watching a couple of fellow Greeks run an 8 second mustang.

In rolls something that I have never seen before:

A brand new Nissan GT-R, red in color, rolls into tech. Holy hell, I'm thinking, if only Martin was here! Martin happens to own a C6 Z06, and everyone here knows full well the unspoken rivals that these two have become from endless banter between the biggest automotive newsletters in print.

No need to delve into that.

Anyway, Martin calls Martin (yes, there's two of them) and tells him to ditch work for an hour and bring the Z. He asks why and Martin tells him "Believe me, you won't wanna miss this."

I can't hold back anymore, lets skip through all of the details, how Martin (Z06) asks him to race, the gang of ricers backing up the GT-R, and one lone man with the second most powerful corvette unleashed by the maniacs tooling in an unknown basement somewhere in Michigan standing resolutely beside his big black ride, almost teasing the red slant-six with just the gaze of his eyes.

So, they line up, rather uneventfully, and the entire crowd hushes. All eyes on the line. You hear the GT-R engage the two-step, set to launch at 4500 rpm, and the Z sitting on his stock rear-wheel drive tires.

Lights go off, and the Z is ahead. Slowly gaining ground is the GT-R, the driver thoroughly surprised by the skills of the man behind the wheel of the Corvette, having been drilled off the line by an "American piece of garbage."

The Z audibly chirps third gear, and its all over from there. The GT-R drops back about two cars by the time the lights trip at the end of 440 yards (1/4 mile), the win light illuminated in the Z's lane.

Times:

Z = 12.0 @ 126.
GT-R = 11.8 @ 120.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Best Match-up NED has seen (New England Dragway)

so the z lost?

Old 06-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the guy in the z06 must really suck at driving if he only ran a 12.0 trapping at 126mph. That is a mid to low 11 second run at that mph.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:58 PM

the Z06 won, he whole-shotted him and was getting a little squirrely at the top of 1st. Mind you, that's 60 mph in the Z06. Besides, track prep was definitely not in the realm we call optimal, by any scope of the imagination.

As for Martin's driving skills, his best run (stock tires) is 11.2 @ 125.77. and if you can beat a GT-R out of the hole, you either need a great deal of luck, or some real experience, and a dash of luck. At least, such was the case in this match-up.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by badseed1
the Z06 won, he whole-shotted him and was getting a little squirrely at the top of 1st. Mind you, that's 60 mph in the Z06. Besides, track prep was definitely not in the realm we call optimal, by any scope of the imagination.

As for Martin's driving skills, his best run (stock tires) is 11.2 @ 125.77. and if you can beat a GT-R out of the hole, you either need a great deal of luck, or some real experience, and a dash of luck. At least, such was the case in this match-up.
11.2@125 is more like it. yeah crappy track prep will ruin your run.

the z06 is one amazing car.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throw some ouzo in that GT-R and it might catch up

Interesting story! But I think the times you mentioned in the end of the post are switched?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Throw some ouzo in that GT-R and it might catch up

Interesting story! But I think the times you mentioned in the end of the post are switched?
I guess the GT-R was sleeping pretty hard on the tree?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but the Z has a slower time??? and the gt-r has a super low boost. all they have to do is turn it up and those things haul!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:37 PM

don't get me wrng, the gt-r is by all means a supercar. I would just rather have a Z06 (or ZR-1).

Besides, which is cheaper to fix if it breaks?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badseed1
don't get me wrng, the gt-r is by all means a supercar. I would just rather have a Z06 (or ZR-1).

Besides, which is cheaper to fix if it breaks?
or the fact that to exceed the 105mph speed limiter on the new GTR you ahve to go to a nissan track....then take it in for the multiple thousand dollar tune-up/check so that you dont voide your warranty....damn big brother.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
or the fact that to exceed the 105mph speed limiter on the new GTR you ahve to go to a nissan track....then take it in for the multiple thousand dollar tune-up/check so that you dont voide your warranty....damn big brother.
I don't like that LOL.

Is that for real? Why do companies do this crap? Even small stuff like traction control that can't be taken off, like ours, bothers the crap out of me. I don't want anyone bringing up safety, because the companies are in business for the same reason that others businesses exist: money. That's not to say that a business can be in it for both, but huge car companies aren't.

But seriously, is that true? Any other fine print to owning a GT-R?