Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Thinking About Buying This Crossfire. Opinions?

Old 02-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking About Buying This Crossfire. Opinions?

Been looking into a few different cars and was firmly pressed on getting a 5 speed Lexus IS300, but started looking at these Crossfires. I found one locally that seems remarkably cheaper than some of the other ones. I'm still researching the differences between the base models/limited models and changes over the years, but what do you guys think about this? I haven't seen this interior on any of the other ones I've seen just yet either.

2004 Chrysler Crossfire Limited White 6 Speed Manual CLEAN TITLE 59k

Any feedback or opinions would be awesome. If I could get it for 10K, I'd say it's a good deal, but again, I'm new to the XFire world.

Ideally I'd love to get the SRT-6, and I'm not sure as of yet if there's deals to be found, I'd be willing to fly to Cali to pick one up even.

Thanks Fellas.

Last edited by Kyanite; 02-11-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Thinking About Buying This Crossfire. Opinions?

Welcome to the Best Forum.
As to the car, others can help me on this.
First, in '04, there was only the one model, no base, or SRTs, just a Crossfire.
That year is also the only one that had the auto-dimming rear view mirror.
You can do a search for the other issues, make sure it has a recent battery, check for the dreaded rust under the door seals, make sure the seat heaters actually work, I'm sure I'm leaving out other items, foggy brain this morning getting over the cold going around.
Again, welcome and hope you find a Crossfire to your liking...
Smallfry

Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kyanite
Been looking into a few different cars and was firmly pressed on getting a 5 speed Lexus IS300, but started looking at these Crossfires. I found one locally that seems remarkably cheaper than some of the other ones. I'm still researching the differences between the base models/limited models and changes over the years, but what do you guys think about this? I haven't seen this interior on any of the other ones I've seen just yet either.

2004 Chrysler Crossfire Limited White 6 Speed Manual CLEAN TITLE 59k

Any feedback or opinions would be awesome. If I could get it for 10K, I'd say it's a good deal, but again, I'm new to the XFire world.

Ideally I'd love to get the SRT-6, and I'm not sure as of yet if there's deals to be found, I'd be willing to fly to Cali to pick one up even.

Thanks Fellas.
The price is about right. 2004 both the Base and Limited were offered. This is a Limited because it has leather interior. Looks well kept. I recommend you find a mechanic you can trust and have him look at the fuel pump/fuel rail pressure, fuel filter, the crankshaft position indicator, and the camshaft position indicator. If the car has had regular service, these are about the only things that routinely fail regardless of the service record. The engine is otherwise very reliable. Nice car. Do check for a new battery and rust at the bottom door seals. Too bad it's so far away from Florida... I could use a white one to go with my black one.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Received 579 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Afterguard
The price is about right. 2004 both the Base and Limited were offered. This is a Limited because it has leather interior. Looks well kept. I recommend you find a mechanic you can trust and have him look at the fuel pump/fuel rail pressure, fuel filter, the crankshaft position indicator, and the camshaft position indicator. If the car has had regular service, these are about the only things that routinely fail regardless of the service record. The engine is otherwise very reliable. Nice car. Do check for a new battery and rust at the bottom door seals. Too bad it's so far away from Florida... I could use a white one to go with my black one.
No base in 2004. How a mechanic can find something wrong with sensors that have not failed is a bit puzzling. True if a code has been set then they have failed.
So really the only thing to do is check for any codes that have been set.
I would be more concerned with body damage due to accidents.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The price is right. It looks like a nice car.
I had my 2004 Alabaster coupe with 32k miles advertised on Ebay for $11k and it didn't sell.

Biggest problem with '04 are the seat heaters. There was a TSB on the transmission jumping out of first gear (surprises the hell out of you when it happens) and to replace the radio head unit that had the green characters on a dark background with one that can be seen in sunlight.

YOu will love your Crossfire so I highly recommend you buy it.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:15 AM

This one looks pretty clean. Get a Carfax if you haven't just to make sure you know about any past accidents, ect. Even if repaired well, it is still work checking.

Great price for a fun, reliable car. There are many small issues that afflict the XF like any other car but the core Mercedes drive train is bulletproof for regular use.

Welcome aboard if you join us!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I paid nearly twice that amout for my brand new 04 Crossfire 7 years ago, and it was for the identical car.
If I had the cash, I'd be all over this one.
That way I could spread all the miles I drive between two cars.
I say jump on it before it slips away.
Good Luck

Old 02-11-2012, 12:29 PM

So really the only thing to do is check for any codes that have been set.

Well, ya!

Old 02-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure you thoroughly inspect it when you look at it in person. A dealership here had one like that, similar pricing and everything. When I looked closely I found bondo runs in the inside of the wheel wells where poor repairs had been performed. It was in pretty poor shape, but looked great in photos. Just look the car over well, make sure it doesn't make any strange noises when you drive it and that is about all I worried about before I drove mine 8 hours home from Seattle.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:27 PM

Without sounding dim, but why are they still so expensive over in the states?
They are really cheap over here in the UK & I would have thought it being the other way around.....

Old 02-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Forum Regular

Buy It>>>>you Will Love It!

Old 02-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boobles35
Without sounding dim, but why are they still so expensive over in the states?
They are really cheap over here in the UK & I would have thought it being the other way around.....
Some of the difference is down to simple geographics and some is due to the used car market being higher than normal in the States right now, primarily because there aren't as many decent used cars on the market as there normally are because people are keeping their cars longer than usual right now.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You think they are expensive in the States ? Try buying one in Austrailia or New Zealand.
That will sure wake you up ......

Old 02-13-2012, 02:22 AM

Thanks guys, I was just curious because it's normally us over here that get "stung" for almost everything we buy.......

Old 02-13-2012, 11:33 AM
AlG
Forum Regular

Make sure you get a second key as it will run you about $150 if you have to pay for it yourself.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I understand in the UK they give the car away and then make a profit on parts and tyres. Kind of like giving away free razors and then selling the blades.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Some of the difference is down to simple geographics and some is due to the used car market being higher than normal in the States right now, primarily because there aren't as many decent used cars on the market as there normally are because people are keeping their cars longer than usual right now.
Don't forget the brilliant policy of Cash for Clunkers. That alone eliminated 1000's of serviceable used cars.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Goldwing
I understand in the UK they give the car away and then make a profit on parts and tyres. Kind of like giving away free razors and then selling the blades.
Absolutely right.... I priced up some parts over here & they were ridiculously expensive compared to the same part over in the states.