Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

My stereo system is done...

Old 09-26-2006, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My stereo system is done...

Just thought I'd share my system for those who are into stereos.
Its been done for a while, but I just finally carpeted the box. LOL.

The sad part is, I install for a living, and doing it all day everyday gives me no motivation to do extensive work on my own car like I've done on customers cars and my own previous vehicles. I've done so much fiberglass work on show quality cars that I'm just burned out.

So I didn't feel like spending countless hours on this car, but I still have to have the good sound to jam to while driving. lol.

I started out by changing the head unit for a Pioneer DEH-P880PRS with duel (L/R) 16 band EQ's, Auto-Time Alignment, and Auto-EQ.
It also does full crossover control with a 3-way crossover mode for sub/mid/high which is how I have it set up.

So with my JL Audio 500/5 five channel amp, it powers my JL Audio 8W7 8" sub with 250w, the stock 6 1/2" door speakers get 100w each running as mid-bass, and the stock tweeters get 25w each as the highs.

I just mounted the amp in the trunk above the gas tank and built a simple sealed box for the sub, which I wanted to be able to remove for more storage when needed and to shed weight when I go to the drag strip.

I'm very happy with the way it sounds...the stock front stage speakers sound great with some clean crossed over sound put to them.
The head units time alignment makes the speakers sound like their on the dash, including the sub, its just like being at a concert!

Pics to follow...

Old 09-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Default Re: My stereo system is done...

Pioneer head unit with ipod adaptor hooked up, ipod sits in the console out of sight.
What's cool is the right hand **** on the radio can do exactly what the ipod control does, and the screen will show all the text just like the ipod does!

Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 AM

3-way crossover graph select screen, once you select one of the slops, you can change frequency, slope, level and phase of that speaker...I like having lots of control. LOL.

I ran all new 12ga speaker wire to each mid and tweeter from the JL amp, while I had the door apart...I grill clothed the speaker grills for a nicer look...it also helped with the squeaks and rattles of the plastic against plastic that these cars have a problem with...

Old 09-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice set-up. It looks great.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:44 AM

Very Nice,

I am in the process of doing my system, I am also putting in the Premier DEH-P880 but my hardest decision now is to dye the radio bezel silver. That amp you decided on is awesome we have sold many of those at my shop they are a great Bang for the buck!

Good Job Bro,

PS. Will you decide later to upgrade the stock speakers?

Regards,
David

Old 09-27-2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sandman
Very Nice,

I am in the process of doing my system, I am also putting in the Premier DEH-P880 but my hardest decision now is to dye the radio bezel silver. That amp you decided on is awesome we have sold many of those at my shop they are a great Bang for the buck!

Good Job Bro,

PS. Will you decide later to upgrade the stock speakers?

Regards,
David
Good choice on the DEH-P880PRS, it works the ipod better then any of the radios I've installed so far, not to mention all the other features it has.

I love the JL 500/5, it has just the right amount of power to run a nice 3-way setup...or just using for front rear and sub, I've installed many of them too.
I've had mine for 3 years now, this is the second car its been in.

I don't plan on replacing the stock fronts, they sound great to me with the clean JL power. They have lots of midbass now too, more then the stock subs/amp could ever do (which are not hooked up anymore). I like the tone of the mids and tweeters too, not to harsh or tinny sounding. I even have a set of JL Audio XR series separates from my last car that I'm not using, but I'm keeping the stockers, unless I wear them out over time.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:58 PM

Do you know if the original speakers have an inline filter, or the original amp has them? I'm guessing you used the amp crossover to hook it up.

Also, did you changed anything on the back speakers?

Old 10-01-2006, 12:32 AM

blues traveler, nice... "i'm alone" that my favorite bt song.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Forum Regular

Looks good I would make the radio trim bezel silver.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:39 PM

If you decide to paint the trim bezel silver I purchased some spray paint which matches perfect. I painted mine and it looks 100% better. Blends in rather than standing out.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by crossfirefrank
If you decide to paint the trim bezel silver I purchased some spray paint which matches perfect. I painted mine and it looks 100% better. Blends in rather than standing out.
That's just one of those things I want to do, but keep putting it off because if it doesn't end up matching perfect, I wouldn't be happy with it...

What brand and color spray paint did you use that matches perfect?
I may just get it done if I know what to use the first time and have it match. lol.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:27 AM

It's made by dupli-color, silver metallic DSGM340. If you have trouble finding it give me a shout back and I'll ship you some. I only used about a 1/3 of the can. It is a perfect match. Both color and gloss.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the info Frank...I'll try my local auto parts stores and see if they have it.