Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Key Fob Failure HELP. Urgent. Stuck 100 miles from home

Old 12-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Key Fob Failure HELP. Urgent. Stuck 100 miles from home

If booth key fobs aren't working the skreem might be bad. Here's some info about it.
The SKREEM is also the primary component of the sentry key system. The SKREEM has a halo-like Antenna Ring
that connects by wires to the SKREEM and is mounted around the Ignition Lock Cylinder. The SKREEM cannot be
adjusted or repaired. If faulty or damaged, the unit must be replaced.
OPERATION
The Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM) has the following functions: receiving and evaluating the Radio
Frequency (RF) keyless entry remote signal, actuation of door locks in conjunction with the Central Locking Pump/
Security System Module, and enabling the vehicle theft security alarm with confirmation via the turn signals. When
the RKE transmitter is operated, an RF signal is transmitted. If the SKREEM recognizes the RF signal as valid, it
actuates the Central Locking Pump/Security System Module through the Body Control Module. The vehicle is then
locked or unlocked through the power locks system. Connected to the SKREEM is a Sentry Key Antenna Ring
which surrounds the ignition lock cylinder. When the ignition is switched on, the Sentry Key Antenna Ring is supplied
with power. A data block is transmitted inductively via the Sentry Key Antenna Ring to the SKREEM and then
on to the Powertrain Control Module. If the antenna ring data block content is invalid or if vehicle battery power is
too low to build up enough power for the antenna ring, the Powertrain Control Module will not receive the proper
signal. This is displayed with the message “Start Error” in the Instrument Cluster.
The SKREEM contains an RF transceiver and a microprocessor. The SKREEM transmits RF signals to and receives
RF signals from the ignition key transponder through a tuned Sentry Key Antenna Ring that is wired to the
SKREEM. If the Sentry Key Antenna Ring is not mounted properly around the ignition lock cylinder housing, communication
problems between the SKREEM and the ignition key may arise. These communication problems will
result in ignition key transponder-related faults. The SKREEM also communicates over the Controller Area Network
(CAN) data bus with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the Instrument Cluster, the Body Control Module (BCM),
and/or the DRB III
T scan tool.
The SKREEM retains in memory the ID numbers of any ignition key transponder that is programmed into it. For
added system security each SKREEM is programmed with a unique secret key code. This code is stored in memory,
sent over the CAN data bus to the PCM, and is encoded to the transponder of every ignition key that is programmed
into the SKREEM.
In the event that a SKREEM replacement is required, the secret key code can be transferred to the new SKREEM
from the PCM using the DRB III
T scan tool and the ignition key system replacement programming procedure.
Proper completion of the ignition key system initialization will allow the existing ignition keys to be programmed into
the new SKREEM so that new keys will not be required. In the event that the original secret key code cannot be
recovered, SKREEM replacement will also require new ignition keys. The DRB III
T scan tool will alert the technician
during the key reprogramming procedure if new ignition keys are required.
The sentry key system performs a self-test each time the ignition switch is turned to the ON/RUN position and will
store fault information in the form of Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in SKREEM memory if a system malfunction
is detected. The SKREEM can be diagnosed and any stored DTCs can be retrieved using a DRB III
T scan tool.

Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

Last edited by robby363; 12-14-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome to the forum mattsmed. Hate to hear that you are having problems with your new car. You did right coming here for advise. Hopefully one of our members can come up with a solution to your problem so you can get back on the road.

Be sure to post the solution here so others can reference it later if need be.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am willing to bet you are way off regarding what you believe is causing your starting problems. Your diagnostic methods do not prove that the issue is part of the Skreem system and therefore the problem is more likely related to:

1. crank position sensor
2. ignition relay block

have those checked before you start telling the garage that the security system has gone bad because if you do not you will probably be stuck for a very long time.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
I am willing to bet you are way off regarding what you believe is causing your starting problems. Your diagnostic methods do not prove that the issue is part of the Skreem system and therefore the problem is more likely related to:

1. crank position sensor
2. ignition relay block

have those checked before you start telling the garage that the security system has gone bad because if you do not you will probably be stuck for a very long time.
How would the crank position sensor have anything to do both key fobs not working. If the ignition turns over and runs for a second then dies is a sign that the skreem isn't responding to the code.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Dang I got caught up with the whole key fob not operating doors, ect. and forgot all about the crank sensor.
Good catch sonoronos!

Old 12-14-2008, 04:11 PM

Another possibility, Check four way flashers. If they do not work, check fuse number 35, 15 amp, controls Radio frequency remote control, and hazard flashers. also check fuse 37,
it control radio frequency remote as well.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by robby363
How would the crank position sensor have anything to do both key fobs not working. If the ignition turns over and runs for a second then dies is a sign that the skreem isn't responding to the code.
I'm just not sure that the Skreem module isn't working. It doesn't seem likely that the car would correctly activate the alarm, but fail to disable the alarm. Based on the way the skreem system works, it doesn't seem likely that it would activate, but not deactivate the alarm.

Here's a post on how fob batteries might be the issue.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=44109

I'm just saying - start with the simplest stuff first.

Last edited by sonoronos; 12-14-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
I'm just not sure that the Skreem module isn't working. It doesn't seem likely that the car would correctly activate the alarm, but fail to disable the alarm. Based on the way the skreem system works, it doesn't seem likely that it would activate, but not deactivate the alarm.

Here's a post on how fob batteries might be the issue.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=44109

I'm just saying - start with the simplest stuff first.
I'm not saying it's the skreem itself but it sounds like somethings causing it to not read the code. It could be a coincidence the batteries die at the same time in 2 remotes. The other problem I have with that is you can take your batteries out of the key fob and you car will still start. I had trouble with mine about a week ago when the car had frost on it. I had to unlock the door with the key because the remote didn't work. After driving the car home it worked fine. I replaced the batteries anyway, but next morning frost same problem again with new batteries. the good news is it hasn't done it sense but then again there hasn't been any frost the past few mornings. I just hope those gremlins moved on.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyone input. To be fair I was mostly hoping someone would just tell me to remove panel 'x' and insert key to disable. Or maybecut the red cable whilst patting my head and rubbing my tummy!

It's definitely a total fail on the receiver unit that is not receiving the alarm fob code or the immobilizer code. No way round it. Worst bit is it's covered by warranty but I'm 80 miles away from my home and garage and 30 miles from nearest. Auto transmission means towing more than a couple miles is a risk I don't want to take. So despite the repair being free it's gonna cost an arm and possibly a leg to get all 4 wheels up and towed away. Sweet!!

Old 12-15-2008, 03:45 AM

The only thing else I can think to try is to hook up some jumper cables to the battery with another running car to boost the voltage a little just to make sure it's not the battery running low voltage that could be causing the problem with the security system.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:09 AM

definitely not battery. its fully charged. alternator had pumped 100 miles of juice into it when I stopped. PLUS, the car starts repeatedly if i go and turn it over. it just cuts out after 2 seconds because of immobilizer.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by mattsmed
Auto transmission means towing more than a couple miles is a risk I don't want to take. So despite the repair being free it's gonna cost an arm and possibly a leg to get all 4 wheels up and towed away. Sweet!!
Sorry to hear that it's the actual immobilizer unit. Good luck on getting it fixed.

If you have a toolbox, it is actually pretty easy to disconnect the driveshaft from the rear differential.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So despite the repair being free it's gonna cost an arm and possibly a leg to get all 4 wheels up and towed away. Sweet!!
You should contact Chrysler first about the tow. That should covered under warranty too.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:14 AM

Thanks for everyone input. To be fair I was mostly hoping someone would just tell me to remove panel 'x' and insert key to disable. Or maybecut the red cable whilst patting my head and rubbing my tummy!

It's definitely a total fail on the receiver unit that is not receiving the alarm fob code or the immobilizer code. No way round it. Worst bit is it's covered by warranty but I'm 80 miles away from my home and garage and 30 miles from nearest. Auto transmission means towing more than a couple miles is a risk I don't want to take. So despite the repair being free it's gonna cost an arm and possibly a leg to get all 4 wheels up and towed away. Sweet!!

How was it confirmed the whole unit had failed?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:30 PM

i described the symptoms to 3 different service centres over the phone and they confirmed that if it is not disabling by the use of the key in the ignition, then no resolution can be reached without replacement of one or more several key parts.

My warranty does cover the repair but not the recovery.

At least I won't be missing the Alfa!

Old 04-18-2009, 07:24 PM

Did this ever get fixed, I ran into the same problem at the DEALER! went in for a regular oil change, dropped the car off and got a call an hour later asking if I had a kill switch. After they fussed around, disconnected and reconnected the battery, nothing happened. Playing with the key fob returned it back to normal.. I think. They say it is a module in the trunk area $1,100 to replace it.
Any feed back would be appreciated, hope I am not geting ripped off
Thanks