Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Full OEM style push start ignition and start!

Old 11-30-2013, 01:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Full OEM style push start ignition and start!

Waiting for the details...my wife might like the push-button start and the unlock when you walk up to it...

Old 02-27-2014, 03:13 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got bored and started doing some research on how to do the wiring for this. Check the service manual 8Q-16. That will at least get the auto locking and unlocking. I haven't figured out the ignition yet or the spoiler but I'm sure the it's same exact thing. I don't want to give too many specifics. If more people start doing this install this thread will pretty much be a how to for "Breaking into a Crossfire" for the criminals out there.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:47 AM

hello gentlemen im interested in installing a push button start but i still want to turn key to the on/run position... Is it possible? and what wires would i tap into? im going to locate the switch between the mirror switch and the cupholder. thanks

Old 02-28-2014, 02:10 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by xX MIKE Xx
hello gentlemen im interested in installing a push button start but i still want to turn key to the on/run position... Is it possible? and what wires would i tap into? im going to locate the switch between the mirror switch and the cupholder. thanks

This video will help you'll need to use the wiring diagram from the service manual. Personally if I'm going to install a start button I would want the button to control the on/run and start all with the button. using the Dei 2102T device the push start button will only work if you have the required fob near the car.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 AM

I've watched countless videos and read the service manual diagrams I just want to know if there are exposed ignition wires I can use to splice when I remove the plastic underneath the steering column?

Old 02-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by xX MIKE Xx
I've watched countless videos and read the service manual diagrams I just want to know if there are exposed ignition wires I can use to splice when I remove the plastic underneath the steering column?
Yes, there are wires coming out the back of the ignition switch, they come out of a plug that is easily removable.
It is shown in step 13 in the following PDF.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-28-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:16 PM

@onehundred80- Which PDF?

Old 03-01-2014, 06:54 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by lildaddym
@onehundred80- Which PDF?
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...key_fix_v5.pdf

see step 13

( from padawan to 180 )

Last edited by ala_xfire; 03-02-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...key-fix_v2.pdf

see step 13

( from padawan to 180 )
That's the one, I attached it and it never showed up?????????? Guess I never checked.

By the way that PDF is at v5 now. Mods never read PMs sent to them to update these things.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-01-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
That's the one, I attached it and it never showed up?????????? Guess I never checked.

By the way that PDF is at v5 now. Mods never read PMs sent to them to update these things.
Mr. 180 I'm trying to recreate the push start system that is shown in this thread but the creator is very hard to get a hold of. How would I go about installing a push start button that will turn the car to on (without starting the engine), start and off with one button?

I think I have figured out the on/start conundrum, the car will not start unless the clutch pedal is pushed in. So the position of the clutch determines whether or not the car is starting. As for pushing the button again to turn the car off, I'm a little bit at a loss.

By using the Dei 2021T I've figured out how to get the car to lock/unlock and arm/disarm the alarm. Also having this device tap into the start button the car will only start if the fob is within range.

The cool spoiler pop up feature I'll have to figure out later.

It will be a few weeks before I install this set up but I'll be sure to do a full write up and try to have some pictures to help out people who want to install something like this.

Any help with wiring diagrams would be much appreciated.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Selbyl
Mr. 180 I'm trying to recreate the push start system that is shown in this thread but the creator is very hard to get a hold of. How would I go about installing a push start button that will turn the car to on (without starting the engine), start and off with one button?

I think I have figured out the on/start conundrum, the car will not start unless the clutch pedal is pushed in. So the position of the clutch determines whether or not the car is starting. As for pushing the button again to turn the car off, I'm a little bit at a loss.

By using the Dei 2021T I've figured out how to get the car to lock/unlock and arm/disarm the alarm. Also having this device tap into the start button the car will only start if the fob is within range.

The cool spoiler pop up feature I'll have to figure out later.

It will be a few weeks before I install this set up but I'll be sure to do a full write up and try to have some pictures to help out people who want to install something like this.

Any help with wiring diagrams would be much appreciated.
I do not know anything about what you are trying to do and I would not even attempt it if I did.
I can be of no help. What the OP did seems to take more time than a key.
We had push or pull starts back in the day and welcomed the key start, we have gone full circle.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

I do not know anything about what you are trying to do and I would not even attempt it if I did.
Agreed. I understand the 'coolness' and maybe even convenience of the push start like on my former girlfriend's Nissan Ultima.

But to tear into a car KNOWN for some hard-to-diagnose start/cranking problems and add a level of complexity sounds dubious to me.

Here is a WARNING for those who attempt this: Make sure you are good at electrical issues and understand what you are doing. Get hold of the service manual and/or the wiring book (which I have ordered but STILL don't have). And REMEMBER, if you think we've had troubles finding knowledgeable people to work on these cars, wait till you take the car somewhere with an aftermarket push-start cobweb in it. You damn well better be able to diagnose it yourself. If not, my advice: FORGET IT.

But it's your car...

Old 03-02-2014, 07:40 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Agreed. I understand the 'coolness' and maybe even convenience of the push start like on my former girlfriend's Nissan Ultima.

But to tear into a car KNOWN for some hard-to-diagnose start/cranking problems and add a level of complexity sounds dubious to me.

Here is a WARNING for those who attempt this: Make sure you are good at electrical issues and understand what you are doing. Get hold of the service manual and/or the wiring book (which I have ordered but STILL don't have). And REMEMBER, if you think we've had troubles finding knowledgeable people to work on these cars, wait till you take the car somewhere with an aftermarket push-start cobweb in it. You damn well better be able to diagnose it yourself. If not, my advice: FORGET IT.

But it's your car...
I'd like to see someone like latemodel21 develop and sell a kit for this. I'd bet it would sell like hotcakes!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks, fixed my post

Old 04-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that my car is back out of storage, i shall do this write up this week for sure!!!

Originally Posted by Selbyl
Thats where the latching relay comes in, the DEI611t. a ground pulse will kick an output on, then another ground pulse will kick it off.

Originally Posted by pizzaguy

But it's your car...
the push button and relays act EXACTLY like the igntion switch would, so it really doesnt affect the system at all except for a few more miliamps produced by the relays being on. my only warning is that you have to lose a key to do this. As long as the clotch is not bypassed then there is no safety concerned. the 2102t must be installed as well... it will arm the alarm and lock the car when you walk away as well as act as an immobiliser so that a local smart *** cant break in and drive away.

i will do the write up this week. thats a promise

Old 04-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the complexity im noticing even just starting the write up.. it makes more sense to build the module and deliver it........

Old 04-28-2014, 05:49 PM

I say you should still write it...

Old 04-29-2014, 01:22 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jamerian
with the complexity im noticing even just starting the write up.. it makes more sense to build the module and deliver it........

How much? This is something that I've wanted to have for a while.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Forum Regular

Great project, I'll be following along.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by spotsbimmer
Great project, I'll be following along.
Don't hold your breath, seems he's forgotten about it already.
One year of promises so far.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-02-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Full OEM style push start ignition and start!