Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Tips required to make a double din face plate

Old 04-13-2017, 03:35 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Tips required to make a double din face plate

The title says it all, I think that by taking two face plates for the radio and AC, one double DIN face plate could be made. What are the best methods to fabricate the new areas of the fascia and refinish the cut ends? Also the frame behind the face plate requires modification as well.

Double DIN by massanu
Double DIN by Rodrofilo
Double DIN by ascuiles
Double DIN by Dogdave4130
Double DIN by mtbikersd
Double DIN by UrbanE
Double DIN by ardenian

The parts I have obtained to make my double din face plate and button relocation modifications with.
No original parts to my car will be harmed in this exercise.
All the switches on the existing radio bezel will be relocated to the cup holder bezel. The ash tray/ coin holder, passenger air bag light and the power outlet/cigarette lighter will stay where they are. The existing single din radio pocket will be enlarged to accept a double din radio.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0652.JPG (2.21 MB, 448 views)

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-17-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:39 AM
Default Re: Tips required to make a double din face plate

Bump, I have not often asked for many tips but I can say that when I do I receive very little help at all.

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-28-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dave,

Here is what I've done in the past when building DD kits for people. I start with a complete center console, the whole 9-yards (~8.25m) and assemble everything so the gaps are all the same as they would be in the car. This is tricky since it's not actually bolted to a metal trans tunnel but it's doable. Then take some winter sealing window shrink wrap and wrap everything nice and tight. Take a hair dryer and hit it to tighten up the corners and make it all so it's nice and smooth. Then take some release fiberglass agent and coat it evenly. I don't remember which brand we had the best luck with but if you can't find one that doesn't interact with the window wrap, you can get away without it, you'll just have to clean up the back side of the mold you'll be making. Then cover the console with fiberglass mat. I used chopped up mat and glass stir sticks to get in the grooves. You're not trying to get in deep, just enough so you have the raised bump between the parts of the ashtray cover, cigar lighter trim and airbag light panel and the radio surround. Once that cures, carefully remove the fiberglass mold you just made and take all the silver parts and remove everything you can from the back of them. Then place them in the mold you just made and bond them together so you have the lower portion as once piece to graft the switch panel into. I can't really describe in words what you will need to do for that but you'll be doing a lot of trial and error to fit it all together and make it look like it belongs that way. The radio surround is pretty straight forward. Cut the switch group from the one you plan on using and graft the top of of the second radio surround to the part you removed. Leave the perimeter of the radio surround intact, only trimming about an 1/8" (~3mm) into it from the inside edge. Then after everything is glued, bonded and cleaned up, hit the entire console with some paint and install the radio of your choice.

Take care and I hope this helps you out a little. You've helped out many people on this forum so you deserve some as well.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Bump, I have not often asked for many tips but I can say that when I do I receive very little help at all.
That is because you already can do so much - once you are stumped, it's pretty certain that the rest of us don't know, either.

'Cept for people like Rudy, of course.....

Old 04-17-2017, 12:23 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
Dave,

Here is what I've done in the past when building DD kits for people. I start with a complete center console, the whole 9-yards (~8.25m) and assemble everything so the gaps are all the same as they would be in the car. This is tricky since it's not actually bolted to a metal trans tunnel but it's doable. Then take some winter sealing window shrink wrap and wrap everything nice and tight. Take a hair dryer and hit it to tighten up the corners and make it all so it's nice and smooth. Then take some release fiberglass agent and coat it evenly. I don't remember which brand we had the best luck with but if you can't find one that doesn't interact with the window wrap, you can get away without it, you'll just have to clean up the back side of the mold you'll be making. Then cover the console with fiberglass mat. I used chopped up mat and glass stir sticks to get in the grooves. You're not trying to get in deep, just enough so you have the raised bump between the parts of the ashtray cover, cigar lighter trim and airbag light panel and the radio surround. Once that cures, carefully remove the fiberglass mold you just made and take all the silver parts and remove everything you can from the back of them. Then place them in the mold you just made and bond them together so you have the lower portion as once piece to graft the switch panel into. I can't really describe in words what you will need to do for that but you'll be doing a lot of trial and error to fit it all together and make it look like it belongs that way. The radio surround is pretty straight forward. Cut the switch group from the one you plan on using and graft the top of of the second radio surround to the part you removed. Leave the perimeter of the radio surround intact, only trimming about an 1/8" (~3mm) into it from the inside edge. Then after everything is glued, bonded and cleaned up, hit the entire console with some paint and install the radio of your choice.

Take care and I hope this helps you out a little. You've helped out many people on this forum so you deserve some as well.
Rudy is the man.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by rcompart
Dave,

That is basically a book on how to do it from the master himself. I am truly grateful for the help. I know that this is not a weekend project, maybe one to keep me busy in the winter. Thanks again.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:48 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is mine completed recently.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by ardenian
This is mine completed recently.
I am considering the one piece face plate, it has some nice advantages.
Double DIN and push button start, well done sir.

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-28-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, sorry i cant be of much help, mine was done by someone i hired ,
From what he told me the faceplate was a new one, he made from scratch
Hope that helps!

Old 04-30-2017, 11:05 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of curiosity and the want to have a double din for a future reverse backup camera upgrade, how much would a DDin center console like the silver one be if someone made a few from a mold? I am not particularly great at this type of stuff.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:54 PM

I am in need of some tips, has anyone taken a switch off the seat heater module? I have taken the screws out but it does not want to come off.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:13 PM

Can anyone supply a photo of the center console with the switches relocated from the radio bezel. Rudy relocated the switches to this position when he did the double din radio mod. He removed them from the thread.
Thanks.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

With the switches moved to beside the shifter?
You wanting a top view (how they look) or bottom view (of mounting)
Or moved down lower and remount ed 12v outlet and got rid of ash try?

Old 07-21-2017, 10:06 PM

I have several saved on my phone, but do not know which one, or even if I have the right one you are looking for.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
With the switches moved to beside the shifter?
You wanting a top view (how they look) or bottom view (of mounting)
Or moved down lower and remount ed 12v outlet and got rid of ash try?
Reading my post I see that it is not clear what I want, I changed it a couple of times and lost the meaning.
What
I want is a picture showing the buttons where the cup holder is now.
Sorry for the obvious confusion that I caused.
Other positions look good but result in a lot of work and in some cases the loss or repositioning of the ash tray, passenger air bag light and cigarette lighter.
In place of the cup holder all that is list is the cup holder itself or the little cubby replacement.
In this position a part of the bezel carrying the seven switches can be mounted I think, possibly with the addition of a shim to move the switches lower.
I was also wondering if the switches could be mounted in a tray that sat proud of the existing trim in that area, this tray using the slot for the cup holder which will be extended forward. This way the button tray could be lifted out just like the little cubby can rather than pulling the whole console apart.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:07 AM

Np, I have done that many times.
I have thought about either moving 4 of the switches and lay them on the flat bare spot below the center vents or putting digital display for extra gauges, but moving moving the 12v outlet would not bother me with the manual transmission.
Ok you want to keep the switches all together and sitting where cup holder is.

If a tray, any thoughts of converting the ash try into a pull out switch tray???
For the switches that are not used much and switches that are used more beside the passenger airbag light.
I need to figure out how to get pics to load better, since app stopped working.
Will see if I have the pic where the bank of switches is where the cup holder is at.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:53 PM

Np, I have done that many times.
I have thought about either moving 4 of the switches and lay them on the flat bare spot below the center vents or putting digital display for extra gauges, but moving moving the 12v outlet would not bother me with the manual transmission.
Ok you want to keep the switches all together and sitting where cup holder is.

If a tray, any thoughts of converting the ash try into a pull out switch tray???
For the switches that are not used much and switches that are used more beside the passenger airbag light.
I need to figure out how to get pics to load better, since app stopped working.
Will see if I have the pic where the bank of switches is where the cup holder is at.
Thanks for the reply, I hardly use the switches myself so an out of the way space is OK.
The easiest spot is the cup holder area, I do not rest my arm there and if I did the depth of the switches should keep them out of (h)arms way.
The more work done the more chance of a screw up, this way only two parts are modified. I am modifying parts I purchased not my cars parts. I am waiting for the cup holder trim only now. An expensive way to do it but safer. I may make two parts of each, just in case I screw one up.

After the switch mod is done I will buy a DD nav unit, I am thinking of a Kenwood unit.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:25 PM

Sorry it taking me awhile, crazy weekend as usual.

Are any of these the right pics you wanting, if not I will do some more digging.
The one that adds the switches by windows might not be bad to do.

Attached Images
File Type: png
File Type: png
Old 07-24-2017, 05:36 PM

Sorry it taking me awhile, crazy weekend as usual.

Are any of these the right pics you wanting, if not I will do some more digging.
The one that adds the switches by windows might not be bad to do.

Thank you, photos #1 and #2 are what I have in mind. I was thinking of making it a tray so that the buttons could be accessed just by pulling the tray up. The tray being made from the existing area if the radio bezel that the switches occupy now. The tray would stand proud of the cup holder trim by about 5/16".

Old 07-24-2017, 10:08 PM

Glad I could help, will see if I can find any more angles.
Keep me posted on your progress.
What are you planning with the hazard light switch?
So, making a tray where cup holder goes that pulls up and is the switch panel?
Would a triangular panel work there also, that rolls, one side smooth and can leave facing up, roll one way and the switches rotate up, the 3rd side is for wiring.
Make any sense to you?
Have a vivid pic in my head and mounting.