Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

OEM radio wiring to Kenwood

Old 04-27-2019, 11:31 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default OEM radio wiring to Kenwood

Help wanted, please.
I am rewiring my Kenwood nav unit to eliminate the Scosche adapter and OEM socket by wiring directly to the OEM harness There is little room behind the unit and the firewall insulation and the Scosche adapter and OEM socket take up a lot of room.
Easier said than done when you have little knowledge of the wiring of the speakers.
The OEM plug has four wires to it and the Kenwood plug has eight just like the amplifier, the question for anyone who knows is how do I run eight wires to the OEM four wires. I guess I twist some together like the OEM wiring schematic attached. See also the Kenwood schematic.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-28-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: OEM radio wiring to Kenwood

you're not looking to bypass the amp right? just wire it in like diagram says. the amp takes care of the output to the speakers. you should be able to confirm the connections by looking at your adapter harness to see if there are any splices made in it to combine channels.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by DualSportDad
you're not looking to bypass the amp right? just wire it in like diagram says. the amp takes care of the output to the speakers. you should be able to confirm the connections by looking at your adapter harness to see if there are any splices made in it to combine channels.
Thanks for the reply, yes I will use the existing amp
I am not an audiophile, left and right control is fine with me. I think I should have left it the way it was, now I am committed to use the pre-outs, the question is simply how are they wired for left and right using the four wires.
I have added a diagram of the rear panel to post #1.
I should see UrbanE tomorrow, I can use his knowledge because I lack it in this radio wiring. Previously he gave me instructions for better control, I was going to use it but I tried playing around at the amp in the car and this old body could not contort like it used to do, so I want something simple and done at the dash sitting down.
How can I plug in four RCA plugs in the pre amp outlets twist them together somehow and bring them down from eight wires to four wires and attach them to the four OEM wires in the harness? Is that possible?
I just cannot contort enough to work on the amp in the car.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-28-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yesterday I installed a Kenwood unit from Crutchfield and bought thier custom made harness. Glad I did!

Old 04-28-2019, 06:53 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

I've been hiking all day, Dave. Wish I'd seen this sooner.

If you go to the trouble of running four more wires from head to amp, you can actually have four channel sound. The amp is four channels, but they bridge them such that the head's front left and right outputs drive everything.
See this thread:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-channels.html

If you are not going to do that, then just use front left and front right outputs to drive the four wires going to the amp

Old 04-29-2019, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I've been hiking all day, Dave. Wish I'd seen this sooner.

If you go to the trouble of running four more wires from head to amp, you can actually have four channel sound. The amp is four channels, but they bridge them such that the head's front left and right outputs drive everything.
See this thread:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-channels.html

If you are not going to do that, then just use front left and front right outputs to drive the four wires going to the amp
Thanks for the info Mark, I am torn between adding four RCA cables to the amp or do as you say. If I take the easy route I’ll always regret it.
I see four RCA cables in my future, I think that I have them already in my basement hoard of ‘stuff’.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:36 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Thanks for the info Mark, I am torn between adding four RCA cables to the amp or do as you say. If I take the easy route I’ll always regret it.
I see four RCA cables in my future, I think that I have them already in my basement hoard of ‘stuff’.
If you are gonna use the head unit's RCA jacks, make sure the preamp outputs are > 3 volts.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
If you are gonna use the head unit's RCA jacks, make sure the preamp outputs are > 3 volts.
Details say 3 pre-outs at 5V. I guess that means 6 RCA sockets?
It looks like a real pain to run 4 cables to the amp, looks like a lot has to be moved out of the way. Anyone have any hints, run them under the glove box?

Old 04-29-2019, 11:49 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Details say 3 pre-outs at 5V. I guess that means 6 RCA sockets?
It looks like a real pain to run 4 cables to the amp, looks like a lot has to be moved out of the way. Anyone have any hints, run them under the glove box?
Nope, I have never run cables from the HU to the amp so I'm no help.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:40 AM

I want to replace the four wires which are split into eight and replace them with four RCA cables coming from the pre-outs on my Kenwood unit.
There are so many wires there it is confusing to these old eyes. Crawling around is also hard on my legs.

Thanks to rereading pizzguys post, I went to the thread he mentioned and figured out the correct plug, top right in the photo, I pulled it out and have cut four RCA cables to an ample length (5’) and I am now exposing the wires in the cable. The connections to the plug wires will be soldered and insulated.
The four cables will be red and yellow for the door speakers and white and black for the subs.

I finished wiring the Kenwood Nav radio and the radio, navigation and reversing camera all seems to work.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-01-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just wired in my rear speakers the other day. not sure if these images help.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:55 AM

I decided to use the preamps and now I have front to rear and side to side control.
Mind you as I am deafish it doesn't make much difference to me.