Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

About to install a new radio and XM Radio module

Old 01-09-2023, 12:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default About to install a new radio and XM Radio module

Well from the amount of post I have read so far, I believe that I should be fine, it's a Sony Muti-Media radio 55x4 channel and ordered theMetra - Speaker Connector for Select Volkswagen Vehicles - Black Model: VW-9000 along with the antenna adaptor .
The XM Sat module connects to the back of the radio and will tucked away behind the radio and the antenna will be routed to the back and placed on the truck lid since I read it has a very long cable.

If I run into any issues I will be on here asking for help. :-)

Old 01-09-2023, 12:37 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: About to install a new radio and XM Radio module

I mounted my SXM antenna centered on the back edge of the hood. Easy to get wire there, wad up extra and shove in opening on hood bracing.

Old 01-09-2023, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by JSK
I mounted my SXM antenna centered on the back edge of the hood. Easy to get wire there, wad up extra and shove in opening on hood bracing.
Picture?

Old 01-09-2023, 03:21 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

The factory head that had navigation put the antenna in the dash, ahead of the radio, under the windshield and it captured GPS signals really well.

Just a thought. Here ya go:

Attached Files
Old 01-10-2023, 12:27 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

I think the SXM antenna needs a clear shot to the sky. The reception cuts out under trees and overpasses, I also understand they don’t work around tall buildings. I’ll take a picture of the antenna location tomorrow.

Old 01-12-2023, 06:53 AM

I hooked up everything on the harness and it has to be the wrong harness which Bestbuy swears it's the correct one. Metra - Speaker Connector for Select Volkswagen Vehicles - BlackModel: VW-9000
1. Turn of the key and we got power- AWESOME- turn off key and lose all save information.. CRAP.
2. No sound- not even a speaker pop

I was reading through the past threads and seen the hardness VW01B was used and not the VW9000 so I am stumped why this was sold as the direct replacement.

I put my old radio back in for now until i get the correct harness.

Mark

Old 01-12-2023, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mark Hampton
I hooked up everything on the harness and it has to be the wrong harness which Bestbuy swears it's the correct one. Metra - Speaker Connector for Select Volkswagen Vehicles - BlackModel: VW-9000
1. Turn of the key and we got power- AWESOME- turn off key and lose all save information.. CRAP.
2. No sound- not even a speaker pop

I was reading through the past threads and seen the hardness VW01B was used and not the VW9000 so I am stumped why this was sold as the direct replacement.

I put my old radio back in for now until i get the correct harness.

Mark
1) This sounds like you have two wires reversed. There is an ignition power lead and a battery power lead. If you reverse them, you have no battery powerred memory backup. Most VW harnesses have these wires backwards for some reason (or so it seems, as I hear of this complaint a lot).
2) Again, some harnesses leave out the enable line from your new radio to the audio amplifier below the passenger's feet. If the amp is not enabled, you get no sound.

You may need to get past this idea that this will be "plug and play". There are threads here that speak to these issues and show you how to modify the harness for the connections you need. I am in the middle of a lot of stress and personal trouble, when the load lifts, maybe I can help. Until then, please look over threads in this part of the forum.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
1) This sounds like you have two wires reversed. There is an ignition power lead and a battery power lead. If you reverse them, you have no battery powerred memory backup. Most VW harnesses have these wires backwards for some reason (or so it seems, as I hear of this complaint a lot).
2) Again, some harnesses leave out the enable line from your new radio to the audio amplifier below the passenger's feet. If the amp is not enabled, you get no sound.

You may need to get past this idea that this will be "plug and play". There are threads here that speak to these issues and show you how to modify the harness for the connections you need. I am in the middle of a lot of stress and personal trouble, when the load lifts, maybe I can help. Until then, please look over threads in this part of the forum.
You might be right completely- so I done some digging

Old 01-12-2023, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Yup. A4 and A7. Use a meter, you should have battery voltage on A4 all the time, A7 switches with the key.

A5 feeds the power amp and antenna preamp and will go high when the radio is on and key is on. That is the output to the amp you are probably missing.

Just a thought: I have no patience for these aftermarket harnesses. Waste of time, IMO. Get the diagram from the new radios' manual and the car's wiring diagram and match up lead-for-lead, make a diagram and then do the wiring using your diagram. That's what I do. Again, if you expect ANY harness to be "plug and play" you will never get this working.

Old 01-13-2023, 10:18 PM

Well the harness just need one wire added and red and yellow swapped and we have a very good radio with audio, XM radio and the base is fantastic!!! Thanks everyone for the support here!!

Old 01-14-2023, 10:22 AM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Thanks for sharing the solution.

Old 04-22-2023, 08:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My XM radio antenna sits on top of the dash tucked against the windshield. The wire is hidden between dash top & windshield. It has been there over 14 years and has never had any reception problems.