Cars For Sale - Archive This forum is no longer accepting new listings. Go to **the *new* Crossfire Marketplace**

Guidance about scams, crossfire 15,000 miles on sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 12:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Guidance about scams, crossfire 15,000 miles on sale

Please help, I just posted my car on Craigslist, ebay,.

Day one I received an email asking for my full address, name and city. They will wire of write me a check saying that they were ok with everything and will fly from the Midwest just to pick the car. Two days later I receive an email from eBay saying that the user account was compromised.

Today, another one from Craiglist, they just texted and wanted to come to my place and buy the car if all looks good. I checked the phone number on Internet and appeared one comment saying that the phone number was unsafe

What would be the best way to get the most of my car with out risking? I mean Carfax will give me pennies as well as any dealer, suggestions????

Old 07-02-2019, 03:44 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Guidance about scams , crossfire 15,000 miles on sale

I think you have already done the right thing, listed it on here.
All that is missing is the asking price.
It is a rare Oyster Gold which is very desirable, an 06 or later, a coupe and an automatic.
Only thing I can't tell is the interior color combination.
You can also list it over on Facebook, search for "crossfire" and you will see many forums, one is for cars for sale.
( also state if it has a clean title or not )

Old 07-02-2019, 11:26 AM
Default Re: Guidance about scams , crossfire 15,000 miles on sale $12900

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I think you have already done the right thing, listed it on here.
All that is missing is the asking price.
It is a rare Oyster Gold which is very desirable, an 06 or later, a coupe and an automatic.
Only thing I can't tell is the interior color combination.
You can also list it over on Facebook, search for "crossfire" and you will see many forums, one is for cars for sale.
( also state if it has a clean title or not )
Thanks for that, I am asking $12900 and may be open to so done with real desire to keep it as beautiful as it is now to give him some discount. Title is clean, first two owners were old couples (related to each other) that only drive the car on summer times and never seen a winter or snow as all the times car has been between Las Cruces and or El Paso, TX.

Some more pics .-

Old 07-02-2019, 11:45 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Looks very nice !
Good luck with the sale .....

Old 07-02-2019, 08:56 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Text or email back and tell them to "call you on the phone". That will usually sort out the scams from reality.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:07 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Guidance about scams , crossfire 15,000 miles on sale $12900

Originally Posted by Giovasdanel
Thanks for that, I am asking $12900 and may be open to so done with real desire to keep it as beautiful as it is now to give him some discount.
Huh?

Old 07-03-2019, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you just have to use some common sense. I've never had an issue with craigslist and have used it for many dozens of transactions. The fake stuff is obvious and gets deleted or blocked.
You can always say something like this in your ad: If you are seriously interested and would like to discuss it, respond with your number and I'll call you. Any other bogus fraudulent responses by email will be ignored..

Last edited by joeyg; 07-03-2019 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

I agree with others that selling it to a Forum Member is probably the safest bet. But I'm aware of Forum Buyers that claimed the car they purchased was not in the condition the Seller described. There are several interpretations of what Excellent Condition, Very Good Condition, etc., are among all of us. Not sure I recall seeing a Forum member Selling a car complaining about the Buyer (unless the final price was much less that the Seller wanted - but that is another issue).

With regards to selling it sight unseen to a prospective buyer from eBay, Craig's List, AutoTrader, Cars.com, etc., you have only a couple of issues that need to be addressed (IMO):

1) If the Buyer is going to send you a Cashier's Check for the purchase, make sure that check clears your bank and gets posted as viable funds. This will take a few days to be confirmed. Don't sign over any paperwork until you have that confirmation.

2) If the Buyer wants to transfer funds from their bank account to yours, be wary as this requires the Buyer to obtain your specific account information to execute the transfer. I recommend staying away from this type of transaction. And I'm talking not only about a wire transfer. Many banks now offer transfers between different banks under their "bill paying" feature". However, many of these have max limits on how much cash can be transferred.

3) If the Buyer shows up, and hands you your asking price in cash, again make sure that the cash is legitimate currency before signing over any paperwork. For a cash sell, I normally have the Seller go to my bank and we make an electronic transfer of funds by a teller (same as a cash transaction). The bank teller can access the Buyer's account (credit card, debit card, whatever) and identify whether the funds are available to transfer to your account. Then you can have the bank notarize the sale and close the deal.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 07-03-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:35 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

To give an idea of what goes on out there on the world wide web, I looked at a very nice 2005 SRT-6 coupe that was listed as being in Utah.. The CarFax report I ran said the car was titled in Michigan, which isn't a big deal in and by itself, but I asked the Seller to provide detailed information. The Seller pulled the ad from eBay. One week later the same car was posted again and Seller stated car was in Oregon. And the Seller was different than the previous posting. When I asked Seller about the car, again the ad was pulled. Two weeks later, the same car showed up again, with a different Seller and this time the Seller stated car was in California. I contacted eBay, provided my findings, questioned whether it was a legitimate offering. Within a day or two, the post was pulled.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 07-04-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I agree with others that selling it to a Forum Member is probably the safest bet. But I know of Forum Buyers that claimed the car they purchased was not in the condition the Seller described.
I know of one such instance. Now I slap myself for ever assuming an *** like that would ever be honest.

Most of us know one another and their car. I have publicly posted in threads in support of cars and sellers I know personally.
And in one case, I sent a PM to a potential buyer, warning him about a car on here. (But unfortunately, it was not the ***'s car that I mentioned above.)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 07-03-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by joeyg
I think you just have to use some common sense. I've never had an issue with craigslist and have used it for many dozens of transactions. The fake stuff is obvious and gets deleted or blocked.
You can always say something like this in your ad: If you are seriously interested and would like to discuss it, respond with your number and I'll call you. Any other bogus fraudulent responses by email will be ignored..
Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I agree with others that selling it to a Forum Member is probably the safest bet. But I'm aware of Forum Buyers that claimed the car they purchased was not in the condition the Seller described. There are several interpretations of what Excellent Condition, Very Good Condition, etc., are among all of us. Not sure I recall seeing a Forum member Selling a car complaining about the Buyer (unless the final price was much less that the Seller wanted - but that is another issue).

With regards to selling it sight unseen to a prospective buyer from eBay, Craig's List, AutoTrader, Cars.com, etc., you have only a couple of issues that need to be addressed (IMO):

1) If the Buyer is going to send you a Cashier's Check for the purchase, make sure that check clears your bank and gets posted as viable funds. This will take a few days to be confirmed. Don't sign over any paperwork until you have that confirmation.

2) If the Buyer wants to transfer funds from their bank account to yours, be wary as this requires the Buyer to obtain your specific account information to execute the transfer. I recommend staying away from this type of transaction. And I'm talking not only about a wire transfer. Many banks now offer transfers between different banks under their "bill paying" feature". However, many of these have max limits on how much cash can be transferred.

3) If the Buyer shows up, and hands you your asking price in cash, again make sure that the cash is legitimate currency before signing over any paperwork. For a cash sell, I normally have the Seller go to my bank and we make an electronic transfer of funds by a teller (same as a cash transaction). The bank teller can access the Buyer's account (credit card, debit card, whatever) and identify whether the funds are available to transfer to your account. Then you can have the bank notarize the sale and close the deal.
Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I know of one such instance. Now I slap myself for ever assuming an *** like that would ever be honest.

Most of us know one another and their car. I have publicly posted in threads in support of cars and sellers I know personally.
And in one case, I sent a PM to a potential buyer, warning him about a car on here. (But unfortunately, it was not the ***'s car that I mentioned above.)
Thank y'all for the guidance, I will follow those suggestions and let you know the outcome, hopefully I do not have to take it to Carmax......