Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Alignment and Camber Kit

Old 03-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment and Camber Kit

Hello all!

I just got my 2004 Crossfire LTD last week, only 13k miles on it, factory warranty still valid through August. This car has been my dream for the last full year and it's amazing to finally have one! It's a fun little car and everyone thinks I paid a grip for it when I didn't. There are only a handful of Crossfires in this county so it's a real head-turner.

I figured that since it was used and had been a rental, it would make sense to take it into the local dealership for the first oil change, to have some recall work done, and to have it inspected per the Schedule B in the manual. Right off the bat, $129 for the oil change. I can handle that. Then the service guy recommends an alignment, $110. No problem, I can handle that too. My hubby had suggested it anyway. The car wasn't ready last night as promised so I called this morning. Now they tell me that in order to do the alignment, they need to order a Camber Kit for $214. The dealership did finally put me in a rental for free since it'll be a few days to do this.

Does this sound right to anyone? I called Chrysler and asked if it's something that's covered under the warranty. They told me that since the alignment itself is not covered, then any parts required to actually DO the alignment are my problem. My view is that if a part needs to be replaced at only 13k miles, any part, it's defective and should be covered. I pitched a small, ladylike fit and they're going to call me back.

I searched online and the only time Camber Kits come up in discussion is if someone is lowering their Crossfire. Am I being hosed here or is this a normal deal?

Old 03-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Alignment and Camber Kit

Originally Posted by akilgore
Hello all!

I just got my 2004 Crossfire LTD last week, only 13k miles on it, factory warranty still valid through August. This car has been my dream for the last full year and it's amazing to finally have one! It's a fun little car and everyone thinks I paid a grip for it when I didn't. There are only a handful of Crossfires in this county so it's a real head-turner.

I figured that since it was used and had been a rental, it would make sense to take it into the local dealership for the first oil change, to have some recall work done, and to have it inspected per the Schedule B in the manual. Right off the bat, $129 for the oil change. I can handle that. Then the service guy recommends an alignment, $110. No problem, I can handle that too. My hubby had suggested it anyway. The car wasn't ready last night as promised so I called this morning. Now they tell me that in order to do the alignment, they need to order a Camber Kit for $214. The dealership did finally put me in a rental for free since it'll be a few days to do this.

Does this sound right to anyone? I called Chrysler and asked if it's something that's covered under the warranty. They told me that since the alignment itself is not covered, then any parts required to actually DO the alignment are my problem. My view is that if a part needs to be replaced at only 13k miles, any part, it's defective and should be covered. I pitched a small, ladylike fit and they're going to call me back.

I searched online and the only time Camber Kits come up in discussion is if someone is lowering their Crossfire. Am I being hosed here or is this a normal deal?
Holy Cow Batman !

Camber kit is $11.63 each for the front. Part # 5140876AA ... Don't let them rape you like that... Order the parts from Lenny @ http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com 1-888-528-2200 and then take your car to a good alignment shop to have them installed and the alignment done. Should cost you $150 total with the labor.

Last edited by HDDP; 03-29-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:33 PM

It's my understanding that the $214 includes labor. If the price difference for having it done elsewhere is only about $64, I'm willing to accept the dealership price since they're supplying a rental car while they have mine. An outside shop won't offer a loaner so I'm SOL on having something to drive in the meantime. It doesn't sound like a big deal on the surface but having to borrow my assistant's car yesterday was damned embarrassing.

Is it normal to have the camber kits replaced during an alignment?

For further repairs, would it be better to just take my XF to the Benz dealership instead of Chrysler? I get the feeling the local DC dealership doesn't work on a lot of these cars and my regular mechanic probably won't be comfortable working on this.

Old 03-29-2006, 05:55 PM

It's my understanding that the $214 includes labor. If the price difference for having it done elsewhere is only about $64, I'm willing to accept the dealership price since they're supplying a rental car while they have mine. An outside shop won't offer a loaner so I'm SOL on having something to drive in the meantime. It doesn't sound like a big deal on the surface but having to borrow my assistant's car yesterday was damned embarrassing.

Is it normal to have the camber kits replaced during an alignment?

For further repairs, would it be better to just take my XF to the Benz dealership instead of Chrysler? I get the feeling the local DC dealership doesn't work on a lot of these cars and my regular mechanic probably won't be comfortable working on this.
OK... so I gave you the price of the camber bolts $11 and my opinion... see ya...

Old 03-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Forum Regular

Are you saying that it will be $214 total, or will you have to pay the $214 for the camber kit plus install as well as the original $110 for the alignment? I think HDDP was saying it shouldn't be more than $150 total out the door everything included. If you can get out for $214 including the rental, I guess that's not too bad. If they are going to try to stick you for $324, I would run away very fast.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:30 PM

Thanks for giving me a chance to clarify, C_Plunkett.

The dealership is charging:
$129 for the oil change & labor
$109 for the alignment & labor
$214 for the camber kits & labor
$452 total for this visit

I obviously misunderstood HDDP's comment about $150 to have it done elsewhere. If it will only cost about $150 to have the alignment WITH camber kits done outside of the DC shop, then yes, I'm getting way raped and HDDP was right in getting snippy with me. I'm not such an idiot that I'd overpay the dealership by $170+ just to use their loaner car for a few days. I thought he meant $150 for JUST the camber kits and labor.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:05 PM

Boy sometimes it's hard to help... Don't always believe the crap that the dealer tells you.

How do you know your car is out of alignment ?
A) Is the steering wheel turned left or right from horizontal when you are driving in a straight line ?
B) does your car drift left or right when you take you hands off the steering wheel on a flat and level road ?
C) does your ride feel bumpy when you're driving on a flat, level road ?
D) does the car pull left or right when you apply the brake ?

Not all of these things mean you need and alignment. First thing, drive down a flat level road in a straight line. look to see if the horizontal part of your steering wheel is level with the horizon when you are traveling straight. Answer all the above questions and I can probably fess out this problem for you. If it was a rental prior to your purchase,, I would bet that your wheels are out of round (bent) or the wheel balance is off, not necessarily the alignment.

Lastly, the alignment and camber bolts take about 1-1/2 hours, oil change is 10 minutes and about $90 at one of those quick lube places (and yes, if you have them stamp your maintenance manual when you get the oil change, it won't void your warranty)... Why do you need a rental car for a few days ?

Last edited by HDDP; 03-29-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:19 PM

I haven't noticed any problem with the alignment. The dealership said "oh, the car has 13k miles, it's due for an alignment." When I asked my husband, he said he noticed that it pulled to the left when he drove the car and that an alignment was probably a good idea. It never pulled in either direction for me.

Believe me, all I wanted was an oil change and to have the Schedule B inspection stuff inspected. Having worked for this specific automotive group, I was prepared for some shenanigans, but this is ridiculous.

I do appreciate your help, really. You guys have been dealing with these cars for a lot longer than me and your advice means a lot.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
Why do you need a rental car for a few days ?
The dealership doesn't have the camber kits in stock and it sounds like they've got the car torn apart in the meantime. It'll be Friday afternoon at the earliest before I get my XF back and they've had it since yesterday morning. I'm self-employed and unless my husband wants to ride his motorcycle in the rain so I can drive his truck, I need wheels.

To me, the drives like a dream. It doesn't pull or bump or anything. I just wanted an oil change.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Forum Regular

These cars are bad about following grooves in the road, so that it feels like the car is pulling to one side or the other. If it wasn't doing it all the time, that may be what your husband was experiencing. A car should not need an alignment after 13K miles unless something was done to throw it out of alignment or if it was never aligned correctly from the factory.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:42 PM

The dealership doesn't have the camber kits in stock and it sounds like they've got the car torn apart in the meantime. It'll be Friday afternoon at the earliest before I get my XF back and they've had it since yesterday morning. I'm self-employed and unless my husband wants to ride his motorcycle in the rain so I can drive his truck, I need wheels.

To me, the drives like a dream. It doesn't pull or bump or anything. I just wanted an oil change.
Please excuse the following statement. You just got bent over the bench !

There is no reason for an alignment on the car unless the alignment is off. I would call them ASAP and ask for a print-out of the alignment specs. on your car before they attempt to do anything. Ask for the print out of the #'s they are showing on the machine. When you take a car in for alignment, the computer reads the camber and caster of the wheels before they do any changes. They compare those #'s with the factory specs. then adjust from there. Then they do another print-out after the alignment is adjusted.

Camber adjustment bolts are usually only necessary on cars that have been damaged in a collision or have had suspension modifications. There are 4 principal measurements that they need to do on their alignment machine / Camber - Caster - Toe - Turning angle Diff.

The specified range for the car is FRONT / Camber -1.5 to -0.9 / Caster 4.7 to 5.7 / Toe 0.08 to 0.25 / Turning angle Diff. -1.92 to -0.92 FRONT / Cross Camber -0.3 to 0.3 / Total Toe 0.17 to 0.50 / REAR / Camber -1.6 to -0.6 / Toe 0.22 to 0.33 / Total Toe 0.43 to 0.67

I'm almost tempted to have you give me their phone # and contact them directly. This kind of stuff pisses me off.

Last edited by HDDP; 03-29-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:03 PM

Ok, I just got off the phone with the service rep right now. He kept saying "chamber" instead of "camber" so I doubt he even knows what the hell he's talking about any more than I do. He gave the phone to a tech who told me that there are specific bolts that do not come with the car from the factory. When the alignment is out, they have to install the bolts in order to get the car back into alignment, which involves removing the lower control arms to install the bolts. The tech copped an attitude with me and said "well, you're the one who requested an alignment." I told him, NO, your service rep said I *needed* one. The rep says that it's "recommended" that an alignment is done every 12k miles.

These are the specs he gave me from the diagnostic that was run.

L Camber 1.4
R Camber 0.7

L Caster 4.5
R Caster 4.4

L Toe .24
R Toe .24

The rep said my car is back together and ready for pick up if I don't want them to finish the alignment. It's funny, the tech I spoke to isn't even the one who is working on my car, he's just "advising" the tech who is.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:23 PM

The rep says that it's "recommended" that an alignment is done every 12k miles.

These are the specs he gave me from the diagnostic that was run.

L Camber 1.4
R Camber 0.7

L Caster 4.5
R Caster 4.4

L Toe .24
R Toe .24

The rep said my car is back together and ready for pick up if I don't want them to finish the alignment. It's funny, the tech I spoke to isn't even the one who is working on my car, he's just "advising" the tech who is.
The only # I can see that is off slightly is your right front wheel, which means the person or people who drove your car in the past liked to hit the curb when they parked. This amount of offset does not require the camber adjustment kit. And barely deserves an alignment.
Good Luck

Last edited by HDDP; 03-29-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:40 PM

I called the dealership back and told them to prepare the car for pick up. They're going to charge me for the oil change only.

Thank you SO MUCH for your help. Without you, I'd still be bent over that dang bench, and that's no place for a lady to be! I still got reamed on the oil change by about $40, but hey, lesson learned. Next time I'll check the forum *before* doing something stupid.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:58 AM

I called the dealership back and told them to prepare the car for pick up. They're going to charge me for the oil change only.

Thank you SO MUCH for your help. Without you, I'd still be bent over that dang bench, and that's no place for a lady to be! I still got reamed on the oil change by about $40, but hey, lesson learned. Next time I'll check the forum *before* doing something stupid.
I'm happy you had the foresight to ask the questions on this forum, there are many people here who have a respectable amount of experience with the Crossfire and are willing to share the information.

You just happened to hit my forte' with the Crossfire, suspension & braking. The rest of the car I don't know squat about !

Just a forewarning, don't believe a damned thing the Chrysler service department tells you about the car, they have no clue and are going to make you pay while they learn. Most of them have never worked on it. SCARY !!!

PS: which part of CA are you in ?

Old 03-30-2006, 02:10 PM

I'm in Central California, between Modesto and Fresno. If you want a good giggle, check me out at www.kilgoreins.com. That smiling mug is me.

Yeah, my XF won't be visiting a dealership any time soon. Not only did they try to sell me something I didn't need, they DIDN'T do the work I asked them to in the first place. Call me crazy, but even QuickLube checks the wiper blades when they do an oil change, right? And considering I mentioned the blades to them up front, you'd think I wouldn't have had to remind them this morning that it still needed to be done.

Anyway, I stopped by Central Valley Tire Works this morning (they handled my hubby's lift kit and the wheels/tires on my Durango) and they're going to check out my alignment when they do my wheels next week. The owner worked on several XFs when he was still in the Bay Area. If they can find wheels that will fit, that is. Doing any custom work on this car is going to be an experience.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone needs to give her dealer a spanking.

Old 04-01-2006, 04:56 AM

I'm in Central California, between Modesto and Fresno. If you want a good giggle, check me out at www.kilgoreins.com. That smiling mug is me.

Yeah, my XF won't be visiting a dealership any time soon. Not only did they try to sell me something I didn't need, they DIDN'T do the work I asked them to in the first place. Call me crazy, but even QuickLube checks the wiper blades when they do an oil change, right? And considering I mentioned the blades to them up front, you'd think I wouldn't have had to remind them this morning that it still needed to be done.

Anyway, I stopped by Central Valley Tire Works this morning (they handled my hubby's lift kit and the wheels/tires on my Durango) and they're going to check out my alignment when they do my wheels next week. The owner worked on several XFs when he was still in the Bay Area. If they can find wheels that will fit, that is. Doing any custom work on this car is going to be an experience.
I hope everything worked out for you. I checked out your website and had a wonderful giggle that you work with auto dealers on insurance repair claims. YIKES, I guess you now know why the insurance underwriters charge so much for premiums. Dealers like the one you had with your experience probably over charge for everything.

PS: are you in Kilgore ? if so, I know it well... The garlic capitol of the world !!! Best of luck with your Crossfire... Look for wheels online from two different companies, ACE Wheels & Milano Wheels. They all come in the fitments for the Mercedes / Crossfire and do not cost an arm & leg.

Last edited by HDDP; 04-01-2006 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritzauf
Someone needs to give her dealer a spanking.
A good spanking should be just the beginning...

Old 04-02-2006, 05:32 PM

Is there a Kilgore, CA? I know there's a Kilgore, TX, but hadn't heard of a Kilgore, CA.

Quick Reply: Alignment and Camber Kit