Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Check Engine Light and Spoiler

Old 05-30-2006, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light and Spoiler

I have a 2005 Base which has now been upgraded in many ways all at the same time. Battery has been upgraded - Optima, car has been chipped (PowerChip), K&N air filters, new stereo system (Pioneer head, Satellite radio, Rockford Amps/Sub, upgraded speakers in doors and additional speakers behind seats), doorsills, Sun HyperVoltage System, Tint, Fog Lights, upholstery, etc. There has not been much that has not been touched.

Here is the question...The check engine light appeared after the car was started the second time (it did not appear initially) also the spoiler went up and has stayed up. All wiring has been checked. The car is still not complete and therefore has not been driven. Will the spoiler and the check engine light clear up after the car has been driven? From what I have heard, the car has to "learn" all over again since the battery has been swapped. The shop where the car is at does exceptional work and I trust no one else. The car looks outstanding thus far. I appreciate any feedback that might help or any comments from any one that may have experienced the same.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Check Engine Light and Spoiler

The check engine light should stay on. The spoiler shouldn't stay up either. If the spoiler is like the locks its vacuum powered, may be a leak somewhere in the vacuum system. My check engine light did not come on though when my deck lock went out. Is your gas cap on tight? I know that sounds stupid but that causes the check engine light to go on. Make sure its on tight. I'm sure one of the folks here has much more technical expertise about what might be going on.
Good Luck !

Pat

Old 05-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The spoiler is not vacuum powered. It is actuated by an electric motor in the rear hatch. If it goes up all by itself then your shop has jumpered something they shouldn't have. You might want to ask them to check that wiring again. I recall someone had a similar problem with the spoiler when they installed a new head unit and posted here about the problems he had. If you do a search, you will probably find it.

The CEL could be a bunch of different things. Take the car to a dealer and ask them to read the diagnostic trouble code(s). Chances are one of your other mods has made the car's computer unhappy with you.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bobs is right. The check engine light can be reset when the codes are checked and the spoiler is motor driven. The control module may be damaged. Hopefully your modifications did not void your warranty.
You should check with the person who chipped your car. I've heard of problems with the program documentation because the 2004 and 2005 models are different. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 05-31-2006, 12:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no answers for this one, only guesses... ECU remap often throws codes and activates the CEL. Your wing problem is electrical, possibly a short, switch problem or the activator.

All I can say is good luck... This car has more wires and harnesses than (I've said it before) the Space Shuttle ... And you probably know, there is not one Chrysler dealer who has ever dealt with this problem...

My suggestion is to back-track all of your installation process and disconnect to see if the problem is eliminated. YIKES...

Old 05-31-2006, 01:10 AM
Forum Regular
Post Re: Check Engine Light and Spoiler

I have no ideas about your problem, but can we see some pics of your ride once its done and btw, good luck getting this taken care of.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:47 AM

When the car is finished, I will definitely post pics. I am not too worried about the spoiler it is the check engine that bothers me. I spoke with PowerChip and they claim all is good and the car should be driven about 75 miles to "relearn" the systems. If all else fails I will send the ECU back and get it checked. A Mercedes mechanic is scheduled to stop by and take a look. Car starts - no problem. As I stated before the shop where its at is outstanding and they have already checked every wire and connection. Depending on what the mechanic says, I may take it for a ride and see if it "heals" itself.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by squat6
I spoke with PowerChip and they claim all is good and the car should be driven about 75 miles to "relearn" the systems. If all else fails I will send the ECU back and get it checked.
Hey squat6... I didn't know you had the CEL illuminate after the PowerChip, otherwise I could have been more helpful... I had mine done by them in So. Cal a year + ago... They f'd it up and had to reflash and blow out the codes to get rid of the CEL. Luckily they were in my area so I took the car over there and micro-managed the process. You will need to have them plug-in their DRB code reader to get rid of the CEL...

Sorry buddy... It seems like many of these guys are knuckleheads and hack the programs...

Old 05-31-2006, 06:54 AM

HDDP - Thanks...I will be once again giving PowerChip a call to discuss and will probably send the module back to them for a second look. It's never easy. I wonder if it threw a code and also lifted the spoiler. That went up after the car was chipped also. Thanks for the help - I am sure I am sending it back. I will let you know.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:02 AM

Here's the link to the Pioneer head unit/Spoiler issue mentioned above. There appears to be an issue with some aftermarket radio harnesses.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...hlight=spoiler

Old 05-31-2006, 01:02 PM

HDDP - Thanks...I will be once again giving PowerChip a call to discuss and will probably send the module back to them for a second look. It's never easy. I wonder if it threw a code and also lifted the spoiler. That went up after the car was chipped also. Thanks for the help - I am sure I am sending it back. I will let you know.
The reflash wouldn't activate the spoiler, that's something else. But the CEL is probably from the ECU reflash.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:36 PM

I spoke to the shop where the car is at and the Mercedes mechanic was scheduled to make a visit today. I also found some threads where the spoiler deploys due to a weak battery. Before swapping the Varta for the Optima, the Varta was probably running low and since then the car has not been driven (nothing would have had a chance to reset). The shop was going to put the chip back in today and investigate further with the Mercedes mechanic. I hope to have more news tomorrow. If not, the chip will go back to California.

BTW - Thanks for the Pioneer radio harness tip but that was already checked. Could never be that easy.

Thanks for the help and keep it coming.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:50 PM

I hope to have more news tomorrow. If not, the chip will go back to California.
Please don't tell me you had the PowerChip guys in Santa Monica, CA do the chip... If so, those were the same knuckleheads that screwed-up mine originally and caused the CEL. They work out of some cheese ball industrial complex that's not even a auto shop.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:37 PM

You can always stop by Auto Zone - they will hook up an OBDC reader for free and tell you the code it is throwing.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:10 AM

The address where I sent my ECU was PowerChip, 2209 Federal Ave., Los Angeles, CA. Maybe they have upgraded since then. I used PowerChip because I heard many good things about them on this and other forums. They are also what is to be believed a "reputable" company. The alternative was Upsolute but after researching, it seemed like a coin toss.

I am hoping things went well today and should have some new information to post tomorrow.

Also thanks for the Auto Zone tip...we have discussed it.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:14 AM

The address where I sent my ECU was PowerChip, 2209 Federal Ave., Los Angeles, CA. Maybe they have upgraded since then. I used PowerChip because I heard many good things about them on this and other forums. They are also what is to be believed a "reputable" company. The alternative was Upsolute but after researching, it seemed like a coin toss.
I had to look-up my invoice from last year... This is the exact same place that I went to... 2209 Federal Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90064. It's in a ****-hole industrial complex with furniture and crap stacked inside their little shop. The guy who did my chip didn't even know how to remove it. For that matter, he looked under the hood and didn't even know where it was located. Some Danish kid... When he reinstalled the ECU the car wouldn't start and the owner (some other kid) comes out to help. The f'd with the ECU for another 30 mins. then got the car to fire and then it threw codes and the CEL. Then the "owner" kid had to go into his office and download a program that was loaded onto their laptop and then plugged into my OBD port to shut off the CEL.

These guys are losers and from what I hear, the programs were hacked from someone else.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:13 AM

HDDP - Ok...you need to help me with this one. Since they are a bunch of losers, did you get your chip reprogrammed and if so who did you end up using? From what I have read, the Upsolute folks work out of their trunks. If you stayed with PowerChip, is it working properly now?

I am not trying to be funny or put down any company, I am just trying to understand. It seems they all work in some type of "shady" environment. Renntech may be the only one that does not.

I made my decision (more than 50%), based on what others expressed in these forums. Although you had a rough go at it (like I am), I am hoping all worked out for you and the chip was an improvement.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:54 AM

Perhaps I sounded too harsh. They finally got it working and was a MINOR improvement.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:55 AM
Default Re: Check Engine Light

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the site. Got my 04' Crossfire a month ago. Love It! Have taken it to dealer twice for the check engine light. They can't find the problem. I also own 2003 Turbo Beetle, that has had the same problem for 2 yrs. I learned to live with it. The Crossfire, is a different however, it really gets to me.