Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Oil Change & filter Change ... Cost of doing it question ???

Old 11-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change & filter Change ... Cost of doing it question ???

Just picked up my Crossfire a couple of weeks ago... I got it used... and the only thing the dealer said I needed after having a 100 point inspection on the vehicle prior to buying it was and oil change and filter...

Well... just called my dealership they quoted me $190.00 cdn + 15% taxes...

This seems Very high for an oil change & filter ??... Do I have to do it at the dealership??

Well my first dealership quote and wow was in expensive!

Thanks for the advise...

Old 11-22-2006, 12:23 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Oil Change & filter Change .. Cost of doing it question ???

They are full of it! I pay about $80...

Old 11-22-2006, 12:28 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There are a number of threads you should probably read on this forum. Just do a search on "oil changes", and you will get familiarized with the options. Many here do their own. The reason it's expensive is b/c it takes about 8.5 quarts of Mobil One. Even doing it yourself will cost about 60 - 70 $$.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by FPMartinez
There are a number of threads you should probably read on this forum. Just do a search on "oil changes", and you will get familiarized with the options. Many here do their own. The reason it's expensive is b/c it takes about 8.5 quarts of Mobil One. Even doing it yourself will cost about 60 - 70 $$.
If I wanted to buy the filter alone, and have the oil changed at a quickie lube... would that cut cost? How much is just the filter? Or would a quickie lube have an aftermarket standard filter that will work...

Old 11-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is way too high it should be between $75 - $100. If you do it yourself it runs about $50 - $65, its cost of the 8.5 qts of Mobil 1 0W-40W that makes it so expensive. I heard you can get it at Wal-Mart for $4.00 a qt but our Wal-Mart doesn't carry it so I spend $5.00 at Shucks Auto. There is a lot of threads on oil changes do search and save yourself some time, money and aggravation and change it yourself. It only takes about 15 minutes and don't even have to crawl under the car if you use a TopSider or equivalent.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:39 PM
FP

Originally Posted by Extensive
If I wanted to buy the filter alone, and have the oil changed at a quickie lube... would that cut cost? How much is just the filter? Or would a quickie lube have an aftermarket standard filter that will work...
It really comes down to the level of confidence you have with the quick lubes. I don't know what they charge but can assume it will be over $100. It's actually very easy to change the oil on the XF if you buy the oil vacuum/pump as the filter sits on top. I would consider going this route even though I stopped changing my oil many years ago, because it's so easy, but I have a lifetime of oil changes on my XF from the dealer. I really encourage you to read the threads on this topic. There are many opinions, and tips especially around the oil vacuum option.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:46 PM

It really comes down to the level of confidence you have with the quick lubes. I don't know what they charge but can assume it will be over $100. It's actually very easy to change the oil on the XF if you buy the oil vacuum/pump as the filter sits on top. I would consider going this route even though I stopped changing my oil many years ago, because it's so easy, but I have a lifetime of oil changes on my XF from the dealer. I really encourage you to read the threads on this topic. There are many opinions, and tips especially around the oil vacuum option.
What about the filter? Is it standard, as in an oil changing shop should have it in stock?

Thanks.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:54 PM
FP

They probably carry an aftermarket version. This is not that rare of a car considering the SLK has the same engine. Check with them, all I recommend if you use a quick lube place, is that your are tenacious with them on using the right oil, and check the level before you leave. And do NOT let them touch any other part of the car such as the rear end. I'm not a big fan of these places, unless you have a very common car I would stay away from them.
IMO. Another option if you are against doing it yourself is to find a quality independent Mercedes shop, and have them do it.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:57 PM

I use the Pela 650 topside oil changer http//:www.jerrybleach.com/pelaapps650.html
$60 U.S. + $10 shipping

I purchase the Mobile-1 at Costco, $5 * 8 qts = $40
I purchase an oil insert at NAPA for $13, which includes the O-Rings (I reuse the housing)
So, for $53 U.S. and a beer I'm inclined to do my own oil changes.

Other threads on this site show that some of us have measured the difference between draining the oil from the bottom and removing it from the top, there is no difference.

So, if you're mechanically inclined (and inclined to drink a beer while the oil is being removed), I recommend doing the changes yourself. The oil extractor will pay for itself within the first 2 oil changes, and you can use it on all your vehicles to boot!

Old 11-22-2006, 01:01 PM
FP

Originally Posted by polywave
I use the Pela 650 topside oil changer http//:www.jerrybleach.com/pelaapps650.html
$60 U.S. + $10 shipping

I purchase the Mobile-1 at Costco, $5 * 8 qts = $40
I purchase an oil insert at NAPA for $13, which includes the O-Rings (I reuse the housing)
So, for $53 U.S. and a beer I'm inclined to do my own oil changes.

Other threads on this site show that some of us have measured the difference between draining the oil from the bottom and removing it from the top, there is no difference.

So, if you're mechanically inclined (and inclined to drink a beer while the oil is being removed), I recommend doing the changes yourself. The oil extractor will pay for itself within the first 2 oil changes, and you can use it on all your vehicles to boot!
In other words;
Changing your oil while having a cold beer; PRICELESS

Old 11-22-2006, 05:06 PM
FP

Originally Posted by Extensive
If I wanted to buy the filter alone, and have the oil changed at a quickie lube.. would that cut cost? how much is just the filter? or would a quickie lube have an aftermarket standard filter that will work...
I just got back from the Turtle Wax car wash/Quick Oil and Lube shop near me. I asked them if they carried the filter, and what the cost was for the XF specifically. They do carry the filter, and the cost for the 8.5 quart Mobil One 0-40 w is $75.00. I assume all other quick lube businesses charge about the same. If you have faith in them, that's the scoop.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Forum Regular

I just got back from the Turtle Wax car wash/Quick Oil and Lube shop near me. I asked them if they carried the filter...
Be wary of filters for the Crossfire. I've talked about this in other posts... the filters the quickie lube places use are a cheap quality paper filter. Even the ones put out by Fram and STP are of lesser quality than the OEM fleece filter. For a few $$$ more, buy the OEM filter and take it with you if you must use the quickie lube places.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:26 PM
FP

Originally Posted by ben47
Be wary of filters for the Crossfire. I've talked about this in other posts... the filters the quickie lube places use are a cheap quality paper filter. Even the ones put out by Fram and STP are of lesser quality than the OEM fleece filter. For a few $$$ more, buy the OEM filter and take it with you if you must use the quickie lube places.
I agree with you.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Forum Regular

Do your self a big favor and stay away from the "quickie lube" you have a very good chance of getting a cheap paper filter and/or the wrong oil. It's very easy to change the oil yourself. Then you KNOW it was done right with the correct filter and oil. BTW I only add 8 qt's of oil and that brings me to the full mark. If I put in 8 1/2 I will get the "HI" warning on the dash when driving. Check out this link. http://www.slk32.com/pages/gotopages/howto.html and click on how to change the oil.