Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Spoiler Vs. Gas Mileage?

Old 02-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler Vs. Gas Mileage?

Depending on how i'm feeling, i like to drive around with my spoiler up all the time. Sometimes i even leave it up when i park. Is there anything i should be aware of leaving my spoiler up overnight, or for an extended period of time. Any problems with the hinges and gear? How about gas mileage, i know it adds some down-force, but was wondering how it actually affects the gas mileage at low and high speeds, i always have it up at high speeds, but wondering if its hurting to have it up at lower speeds too.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Default Re: Spoilter Vs. Gas Mileage?

It won't affect the gas mileage one bit. There's only one potential problem with leaving the spoiler up... you might find it damaged if you park in a bad neighborhood. There are a lot of people who'd try to rip that thing off without thinking twice. I make sure the retract the spoiler when I park downtown.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Forum Regular

You may want to bring it down depending on the weather too (rain or snow).

Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 PM

I accidentally left it up in the snow twice now. Get up and clean the snow out from under it then lower it down. It has to be weather proof right? Because its designed to still come up in the rain. But I guess its not good if wet snow is sitting on the hinges and all overnight.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:54 PM
xfire embrace

Originally Posted by Romio
I accidentally left it up in the snow twice now. Get up and clean the snow out from under it then lower it down. It has to be weather proof right? Because its designed to still come up in the rain. But I guess its not good if wet snow is sitting on the hinges and all overnight.
You've got the answer right there. Its the drastic weather especially very cold one that you may want to avoid. Possibility but which I will never experienced, not here.
I have to agree with spoiler down when you park especially like mine in a public parking lot. Xfire can never be low profile, so will try to minimize tempting those "evil eyes" and curious mind. Possibility of having it ripped, is about high.

imho

Old 02-08-2007, 01:14 PM

ok so about the weather, i kinda knew that, so what about gas mileage?

Old 02-08-2007, 01:53 PM
xfire embrace
Default Re: Spoiler Vs. Gas Mileage?

Maybe you will want to read this discussion.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...er+gas+mileage

An elaborated discussion by very experienced and professionals owners/ drivers.

If you still couldn't find the answer which means it is of less effect.

My opinion is pale against those famous individual's.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Romio, You pose a good question, that I don't know if anybody has actually tested out.
Since the spoiler creates down force, I would assume it causes a certain amount of drag also. So automatically, you would think with drag, fuel mileage would be effected.
At lower speeds, I wouldn't think it would make any difference at all, but on the highway it probably could.
Of course the only way to render the pop up spoiler inactive is to pull the fuse, so that would have to be done before checking the cars gas mileage.
If anybody is planning a little trip in their Limited Crossfire any time soon, why not perform an experiment by checking your gas mileage in both directions, but disabling your spoiler in one direction.
I realize there are other factors that need to be figured in like wind direction, average speed, elevation changes, temp. etc. But maybe we could come up with a "ball park" figure to go by.

(Legal Disclaimer) Disabling your pop up spoiler could possible cause one to experience an unsafe driving condition while driving your Crossfire and should not be performed under any circumstances. No one at Daimler/Chrysler, Crossfireforum.org, or private individuals there in, authorize such conduct. To do so, would infact be an act of disregard for personal safety, and thus be construed as doing so at you own risk.

Now, with that being said, and this being a free country, Let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I have to park outside and we are expecting freezing conditions I leave the spoiler up. So that if it gets covered in ice I can still drive down the interstate with out worrying about burning the motor up while it trys to break through the ice. Otherwise I leave it in auto mode.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
If I have to park outside and we are expecting freezing conditions I leave the spoiler up. So that if it gets covered in ice I can still drive down the interstate with out worrying about burning the motor up while it try's to break through the ice. Otherwise I leave it in auto mode.
Excellent point 13K9.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:19 PM
xfire embrace

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Since the spoiler creates down force, I would assume it causes a certain amount of drag also. So automatically, you would think with drag, fuel mileage would be effected.
At lower speeds, I wouldn't think it would make any difference at all, but on the highway it probably could.
Of course the only way to render the pop up spoiler inactive is to pull the fuse, so that would have to be done before checking the cars gas mileage.
If anybody is planning a little trip in their Limited Crossfire any time soon, why not perform an experiment by checking your gas mileage in both directions, but disabling your spoiler in one direction.
I realize there are other factors that need to be figured in like wind direction, average speed, elevation changes, temp. etc. But maybe we could come up with a "ball park" figure to go by.

(Legal Disclaimer) Disabling your pop up spoiler could possible cause one to experience an unsafe driving condition while driving your Crossfire and should not be performed under any circumstances. No one at Daimler/Chrysler, Crossfireforum.org, or private individuals there in, authorize such conduct. To do so, would infact be an act of disregard for personal safety, and thus be construed as doing so at you own risk.

Now, with that being said, and this being a free country, Let us know how it turns out.
If any one really going to perform this experiment, please do share the outcome result & observation.
I agree and will admit, I really really want to know.

Thank you.

side note: I like the "Legal Disclaimer". (",)

Old 02-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lionsfan
They did wind tunnel tests and analysis, and found that the way air flows over a pickup, gas mileage was actually measurably better with the tailgate up and in place, than when it was down or removed at all. Counterintuitive, but the tests were pretty convincing.
Mythbusters did the same thing - the science actually makes sense...

Old 02-08-2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by lionsfan
Spoilers are interesting things, some are designed to create downforce and as a by product create drag, some are designed to fill the vacuum immediately behind the car as it moves through the air.
My buddy who is an aerospace engineer and car aficionado calls the ones that produce downforce "wings", and those that create turbulence and fill the low pressure behind the car "spoilers". Not sure if that nomenclature is generally used and accepted, but it seemed like an engineering term of art, at the very least.