Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

fleece or paper oil filter?

Old 05-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fleece or paper oil filter?

I noticed that Idaho, a senior member, still uses paper filters, despite obviously knowing of the fleece filters?

Wondering why people choose one or the other?

Old 05-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: fleece or paper oil filter?

My guess would be that people choose the paper filter because of either the cost or availability. The paper filter costs about $7 - $10, where the fleece filter costs about $14 - $20. I chose the fleece filter because that is what is currently recommended by Mercedes and that is all that the local dealers carry.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:41 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

zless,

The only reason I am still using the paper filter is because I bought a dozen of them at $9 a piece when I bought the car and will switch when they run out in about six years. Since MB has been using them for years with excellent results in the exact same motor their no need to toss what I have just because the fleece ones came out. Especially since I change my oil at every 5K miles instead of 7K.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Idaho
zless,

The only reason I am still using the paper filter is because I bought a dozen of them at $9 a piece when I bought the car and will switch when they run out in about six years. Since MB has been using them for years with excellent results in the exact same motor their no need to toss what I have just because the fleece ones came out. Especially since I change my oil at every 5K miles instead of 7K.
Paper oil filters have been used since day 1 on millions of cars with no problems. I don't see why they would suddenly become "unsafe" to use now. Actually, when I think about it. I could see where a "fleece" filter might be more prone to "shedding", but I guess the engineers at Mercedes have probably looked into that possibility and figured out that it's not a problem to worry about.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:48 AM

And at $9 apiece... what a good deal you got! It was interesting I was in Kmart last night waiting for Peggy to get done looking at shoes, well I do my best waiting in the Automotive section, but I was looking in the oil filter book, I have bought all my filters from Chrysler for the Crossfire, but I am nosey, anyway I was surprised to see listed for a 2005 Crossfire they had an oil filter listed for our engine along with on available for a 5.7 hemi. I wasn't aware of the option.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was doing a little reading and found that the purpose of the fleece filter is not better filtration, it is longer life. Apparently the standard paper filters were clogging too quickly (for the long service life of the oil) and causing the bypass valve to open, meaning you get unfiltered oil.

So I'd say that if you change your oil more often than the FSS indicates you can use either filter. If you go the whole distance before you change it, use the fleece.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:42 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by bobs
I was doing a little reading and found that the purpose of the fleece filter is not better filtration, it is longer life. Apparently the standard paper filters were clogging too quickly (for the long service life of the oil) and causing the bypass valve to open, meaning you get unfiltered oil.

So I'd say that if you change your oil more often than the FSS indicates you can use either filter. If you go the whole distance before you change it, use the fleece.
Nice Find!!

I love this forum - Users do some great research!

Thanks,
Bobs

Old 05-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish I had known that Bobs, I change my own oil ever 4 to 5k and I had an opportunity to buy a case of those old style factory paper filters some time ago for a real good price, and I passed it up.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:52 PM

Having been into this topic many times, I believe there is nothing better than high quality paper oil and air filters. No foam, stainless steel media, fleece, oiled mesh or porous bronze. No engine failures, no Fram...

Gary

Old 05-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: fleece or paper oil filter?

I think I'll stick with the factory Mercedes filter.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well then, can we simply change the filter every 3,500 and change the oil every 7,000?

That should keep it out of bypass, but not throw away $45 worth of oil before its time.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Display_Name
Well then, can we simply change the filter every 3,500 and change the oil every 7,000?

That should keep it out of bypass, but not throw away $45 worth of oil before its time.
Why go through the hassle of changing the filter twice as often as the oil? Just get a fleece filter
to begin with and be done with it...