Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Check Engine Light Keeps Coming on

Old 06-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light Keeps Coming on

This is very general so I don't know expect any very specific questions, but for some reason my check engine light comes on for about two days at a time then will go away for a day then come on for another two then stay off for a week, kind of an erratic pattern. Anybody know why? I wanna take it in, do they charge to do a code reading?

Old 06-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Default Re: Check Engine Light Keeps Coming on

If it makes you feel any better mine has been doing the same thing for about three months now. On for a couple of days off for a week, on for a day, off for a week again. I took it to the dealer to have it looked at, and they told me something in the charging system gave off a bogus error causing the Check Engine Light to come on. (Idiots) I have noticed that when it rains hard, or when I power wash the car it sometimes comes on after that, but it really seems to be completely random !?!?! I sometimes will disconnect the positive battery cable for about twenty minutes or so then put it back on, I will get a BAS (I think it is) light come on, then it will go away very shortly after start up, and magically the Check Engine Light goes away.

BTW, I was not charged for the test on the car at the dealer, but it was still under warrenty at the time.

Last edited by Fupa13; 06-12-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Location: California [Metro Areas] Napa, San Francisco, Sacramento

My friends engine light came on for a whole week in her crossfire with absolutely nothing wrong with the car, then it disappears, and is back to normal. Strange.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:33 PM
PJA

Mine ('04 Coupe) started doing this about a month ago. I took it to the dealer, and the problem was "Engine Management Module" which was replaced under warranty. I shudder to think how much it would have cost me.

Pete

Old 06-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PJA
Mine ('04 Coupe) started doing this about a month ago. I took it to the dealer, and the problem was "Engine Management Module" which was replaced under warranty. I shudder to think how much it would have cost me.

Pete
I have a 2004 crossfire limited. How do I tell when the warranty is up, I assumed that it was up january 1st of this year, but I got a letter in the mail from chrysler advertising an extended warranty because they said my factory warranty was up in march of next year, I am confused. If this is the case I will take the car into the shop, if not I won't worry about it.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:25 AM
PJA

Warranty is 3 years from original purchase date (mine is 11/04) or 36,000 miles - whichever comes first (my car has 23,000 mi (+/-).

Pete

Old 06-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Forum Regular

if i bought it used how can i tell the original purchase date?

Old 06-13-2007, 11:55 AM

A Chrysler Dealer can look up the original purchase date on a used car. Check your Owners Manual and the Warranty Manual as I remember you have 30 days to transfer the Warranty after you purchase the car.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:04 AM

I seem to have the same problem with my crossfire I have taken it in several times and never can really find anything, a few time is said something about air flow but when it was checked again couldn't find anything wrong with it, and this has been going on for the last 3 years, starting to get to be a bit much to pay to have someone look at it and they can not find the problem if anyone really ever finds out for sure let me know.. Mostly happens when it rains or with a big change in the weather..

Old 03-12-2015, 07:20 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Get yourself an UltraGauge ( about $60 - after mail in rebate).
It will show you up to 78 real time engine and trip parameters, as well as acting as an OBD code reader / resetter.
I've had one for 4 years and love it.

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

Old 03-19-2015, 03:22 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Take it to an Autozone or equivalent. They can usually pull the codes (for free), even if they cannot clear them. I use an Innova reader for my Audis and Crossfires. I only had one code on my SRT6 and it needed to go into the shop, so I did not clear it. It does clear the Audi codes. Very benign issues like a loose gas cap or a misfire caused by slightly bad gas can cause a CEL which goes away after a while. We cannot help you without the codes.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:52 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

I have an Ultragauge - when the CEL comes on, it is telling you that a code has been set. So read the code!
Guessing at what your code is would be a waste of our time and yours - who the hell knows what it is!

And............
By knowing what codes are being generated, you keep ahead of trouble. As the car ages, you WILL see that light more and more. Mine kept coming on, caused by misfire codes and O2 sensor codes - I had all the plugs and plug wires changed, no trouble since then. Had I taken it to a dealer, they would have put O2 sensors in it as well, but I knew that misfires can cause O2 codes so I didn't have them replaced right away. Glad I didn't.

I really think that it is about DAMN TIME they displayed codes in the odometer window, but that's just me. Until they stop treating customers like fools, (mostly to get you to go to the dealer and pay for something you can do yourself) you need an easy to use device to read codes yourself. Give us the code, and you will find that the fix is usually straightforward and not all that expensive. Unless you go to the dealer. Do not take one of these cars to a dealer.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-23-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:40 AM

I really think that it is about DAMN TIME they displayed codes in the odometer window
Yea Mark, I have a 2002 Concord that will display codes in the window if you turn the key on/off 3 times.
So Chrysler had the technology years before the Crossfire, just didn't want to mess with the German engineers to get it incorporated.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Get yourself an UltraGauge ( about $60 - after mail in rebate).
It will show you up to 78 real time engine and trip parameters, as well as acting as an OBD code reader / resetter.
I've had one for 4 years and love it.

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

George, I would be on this like a fly on a fresh dump IF it also had oil and transmission temperatures.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Yea Mark, I have a 2002 Concord that will display codes in the window if you turn the key on/off 3 times.
So Chrysler had the technology years before the Crossfire, just didn't want to mess with the German engineers to get it incorporated.
It may show some codes in the window but not all, at least my POS 2007 300 did not.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Goldwing
Take it to an Autozone or equivalent. They can usually pull the codes (for free), even if they cannot clear them. I use an Innova reader for my Audis and Crossfires. I only had one code on my SRT6 and it needed to go into the shop, so I did not clear it. It does clear the Audi codes. Very benign issues like a loose gas cap or a misfire caused by slightly bad gas can cause a CEL which goes away after a while. We cannot help you without the codes.

Believe it or not, I have never been able to trip a CEL (even when I tried to) with the gas cap loose or off. All three of my vehicles, an 01 ranger, 02 Camaro, and the XF. I just don't get why as everything I read says it should trip it if the cap is loose or missing. Go figure...

Old 03-29-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
George, I would be on this like a fly on a fresh dump IF it also had oil and transmission temperatures.
And I kinda wish it would read oil pressure too, but alas ....

I DO like being able to see the true coolant temp and the IAT.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:02 PM

And I kinda wish it would read oil pressure too, but alas ....

I DO like being able to see the true coolant temp and the IAT.

Yeah, me too...

On another note, I used to have an 81 Malibu that had quite the bad engine. It burned oil so bad and fixing it was way to expensive for what the car was worth. Back then a quart of oil was very cheap (not unlike me sometimes but I like to think of it as thrifty). I always joked (when others told me the check engine light was on) why should I have to check it, its running and I am going. Don't you think its in there if I'm driving all around town? Funny, they just think about that for a few LONG moments and just shrug their shoulders and smile.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

check engine light can be a host of things...until you read the code, you will never know what it is. For the most part, it isn't a big problem to worry about. My buddy has driven his chevy truck for 15 yrs with the light on. He was over here one day and I cleared it with my reader....and it was back on the next day...lol