Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

dealer computer glitch

Old 08-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer computer glitch

Anyone ever had a dealer tech hook up the wrong computer to your car? If so,did it cause a problem? Mine was in shop for the 30k checkup and when I picked it up they couldn't find the computer to clear the check engine light, so they had me bring it back the next morning, then they attached the wrong cable and computer to my '04. Then they found the crossfire computer and cleared the code but this evening the check engine light came back on. So now its going back for the 3rd time in 3 days.

Any help?

Thanks

Old 08-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: dealer computer glitch

Message Deleted

Last edited by AMGLover; 09-05-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they tell you what the original code (or codes) were?

Old 08-02-2007, 02:45 PM

That's part of the problem, when they hooked up the wrong diagnostic computer to the crossfire apparently it cleared the system and I saw the message on the screen that said it could not communicate with the cars system. The dealer has called back and they still say its the additive they put in for the throttle body that's making the car run rough and kicked on the ce light. Took the car in at 8 they gave me a rental and said a couple of hours, now it supposed to be ready at 3:30.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bugeye
That's part of the problem, when they hooked up the wrong diagnostic computer to the crossfire apparently it cleared the system and I saw the message on the screen that said it could not communicate with the cars system. The dealer has called back and they still say its the additive they put in for the throttle body that's making the car run rough and kicked on the ce light. Took the car in at 8 they gave me a rental and said a couple of hours, now it supposed to be ready at 3:30.
All sounds strange to me. If the computer would not communicate it seems odd that it reset the CEL. I suppose it is possible that the ECU supply was shorted by the incorrect lead causing a reset similar to when you disconnect the battery. This would clear the CEL until the original fault returned. What was wrong with the TB that they had to use an additive? The TB is upstream of the fuel system so a fuel additive (can't think what other sort they may be talking about), presumably some sort of cleaner, would have no affect whatsoever on the TB?

I really hope there is going to be a happy ending to this, rather than yet another story of a dealer screw up.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:44 PM

Had it in for the 30k check up so that's why the throttle body and they have just called and said its ok for me to come and pick it up. Of course that's what they said Monday and Tuesday as well. Thanks will keep my fingers crossed.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the two events are related. Those data busses are designed to be tolerant of mis-connected systems. So if the dealer connected the wrong computer the worse you should get is a "can't communicate" error.

Since the CEL came back on again, you should ask the dealer to tell you what diagnostic trouble code(s) were logged. Once you get them, post them here. There are enough engine management system geeks on this board that you will know in a minute if the dealer is feeding you a line.

Just my $.02