Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

will it move on 22's?

Old 10-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default will it move on 22's?

you'll see hehehe. just a lil hint for what to expect at the dragon folks hehehe.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: will it move on 22's?

Might as well just jack it up and make a high roller out of it. On 22s, it will have definitely lost much of it's sporting capabilities. Bigger isn't always better IMHO. Now if it were a '64 Impala, well...

Old 10-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Forum Regular

do i scare the purists?

Old 10-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by irwin
do i scare the purists?
Probably more like "amuse" the purists.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do i scare the purists?
You'll scare yourself when the strain of all that extra weight on the axles causes the wheel bearings to fail and possibly cause the spindle/hub to break off with the wheel attached through a hairpin turn as you go out of control over a cliff...

Searching for the two videos I found of Donks losing their wheels mid turn and off the line....

Would a Crossfire with "Double Deuces" be considered a "Bubble Donk"? When is the lift kit and cut out fienders happening? You can't stop with 22's, may as well go with 28" or 30"

Kinda like putting racing slicks on a Dump Truck or Mud tires on an Elise...

Last edited by NeverEnough; 10-29-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Probably more like "amuse" the purists.
Ditto.

Let us know how you like it after you spend thousands, ruin the acceleration and handling and your fillings start dropping out of your teeth. You will get tons of looks, but what you don't know is that 90% of those looks are coming from people who think you're an idiot. Can't wait to see the pictures!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 AM

You probably don't want to be "this" guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8znD7-l5Tmo

Old 10-29-2007, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by GatorLCA
You probably dont want to be "this" guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8znD7-l5Tmo
That's one of the ones I was looking for.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:54 AM

Here ya go! The next popular upgrade for the Crossfire!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKfZfgKw0Pg

I think Irwin is on to something.

NOT!!! LOL!

Man, we are just messin' with you. Everyone has their own style. If you like it, great!

Old 10-29-2007, 01:01 PM

do i scare the purists?
They will go great with your racing seats.

I don't even know what to say anymore some of the **** I read on here... 22s on German built sports car. Is it illegal to re-badge and change the emblems on my car, because if I get pulled over they won't know what kinda of car it is... What does SRT stand for? How to change a battery on a key... What is going on I mean seriously???

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 10-29-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: will it move on 22's?

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
You'll scare yourself when the strain of all that extra weight on the axles causes the wheel bearings to fail and possibly cause the spindle/hub to break off with the wheel attached through a hairpin turn as you go out of control over a cliff...

Searching for the two videos I found of Donks losing their wheels mid turn and off the line...

Would a Crossfire with "Double Deuces" be considered a "Bubble Donk"? When is the lift kit and cut out fenders happening? You can't stop with 22's, may as well go with 28" or 30"

Kinda like putting racing slicks on a Dump Truck or Mud tires on an Elise...
Or at about 80 - 85 mph the front end starts shaking like a "Cuisnart Blender"...but to each his own...do what makes you feel good.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cgocifer
Here ya go! The next popular upgrade for the Crossfire!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKfZfgKw0Pg
Why do they always put vertical doors and big wheels on the crappiest cars? With all that money he put into that, he could have bought a new car! I cracks me up to see people put $5,000 into a $2,000 car.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:34 PM

do i scare the purists?
Heck no. It's your car, you're perfectly free to crap it up any way you want!

Old 10-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

To each their own... but remember the various things that can and do go wrong with vehicles that have rims that size. 19s and 20s staggered have been done and there are numerous threads describing the problems with getting the TPM sensors in there.

I suspect you will HAVE to raise the car in order to roll on 22s without modifying the fenders or fender wells unless you go with 20 profile tires like i describe below.

With 255/20R22s on the rear, you will at least have the same overall height as the stock rims and your speedometer will be correct. HOWEVER... your sidewalls are only going to be 2 inches tall. Your fronts will probably be 225/20R22s and your sidewall height will be around 1.75 inches. This will raise the front of your vehicle some (half an inch) compared to stock and you will be dangerously close to the upper ball joint stud and nut. In addition, any bump on the road deeper than a half inch is probably going to bend your rim lip, especially in the fronts. Not to mention the extra stress and vibration transmitted to the wheel bearings and drive axle joints. (We all remember this vehicle has completely independent front and rear suspension right? no solid axle... but two small drive axles with CV joints.)

Then there is the issue of your unspung weight going up. Unless you get ultralight rims.

I wish you good luck in your modification but I felt it was necessary to point out some of the major issues you will have to deal with.

Cheers!

Old 10-29-2007, 04:23 PM

Well said Timelord. As to getting new wheels, the only new wheels I would consider for my coupe are the SRT6 wheels, which I think are one the nicest factory wheels I have ever seen. As for 22's, although I am sure they would look good on the crossfire, they are not for me. I would rather have some sidewall between me and the road to keep the touring comfort of the car. As everyone else has said though, to each their own.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by brhertel
Why do they always put vertical doors and big wheels on the crappiest cars? With all that money he put into that, he could have bought a new car! I cracks me up to see people put $5,000 into a $2,000 car.
If he bought a nice car, the govt would want to know how he paid for it? To many questions- when the only job the driver has had is selling drugs and pimping out women.

So buy your crappy affordable car and then make it look horrible. Also, let every law enforcement agent know what you do. Then bi^ch about getting pulled over all the time because of your skin color.

Last edited by hudsonc8; 10-29-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Forum Regular

you people are funny #1 the speed sensors are on the front wheels hence the problem with the dyno #2 who said i was going with 22's all around? #3 johnny angel eat my *** you scared to touch anything piece of $h!t #4 you say all of this but have you done it, what experience do you speak of as far as lifting the car and cutting out the fenders? my factory ride height is stock in the rear. #5 do you only know of the rims on tire rack? #6 i have a true staggered fitment unlike the fake stagger from the factory. #7 as has been said to each there own #8 if your saying i'm putting money into a **** car doesn't that mean you drive a **** car too??? #9 johnny please come to the dragon #10 did you ever think some people do thing just to prove they can be done? #11 why isn't everyone going ape **** over latannatx putting a v8 in his? mad props for having the ***** to attempt it man! #12 it amazes me how many people come out to attack someone here because they are doing something a lil different, true its been done but have you ever heard from anyone that it even rolls? i will be driving mine somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 miles to the dragon #13 who cares about how soft the ride is to return to the same comments fired at me its a german sports car! #14 its not a sports car its a coupe the srt6 is a sports car these cars are too heavy and don't have enough power for me to call it a sports car, do you call a miata a sports car? i call the new mazda speed ones sports cars but not the regular ones #15 johnny we should meet up some time #16 they do make light weight 22 x 9.5 rims specially designed for mercedes and bmw's staggered fitment that keep a sporty look... i could go on but i'm really pissed right now i expected the regular jerks to come out but this is a bit much... i didn't realize that this forum had so many closed minded people that were all so ready to just jump on here and bash me for going a step up... i thought some would love to know what offsets work best what tire sizes and so on... oh and about the heavy wheel comments go take one of your stock wheels off and weigh that they might as well be made of lead wow you people really can suck...

Old 10-29-2007, 07:31 PM

Irwin, all BS, Bitterness aside, please be careful with this. It's obviously not my taste, but that's neither here not there. Oversized wheels can be very dangerous. I've seen what can happen. There was a fatal wreck on the interstate near where I work when a Tahoe lost one of its 24" wheels in the front. The truck went out of control into the median and flipped twice. The wheel came off with the hub assemble still attached. The ball joints and tie rods completely let go from stress.

Just tonight, a car was towed into my dealership with a similar failure. I've attached the pictures. I talked to owner and he said he was only going 5 MPH through a parking lot and going over a Speed Bump when it happened. The tow truck driver verified his story, as he was in the parking lot and saw it happen. Imagine if this had happened going down the highway at 70 MPH. This car only has 20,000 miles on it and only about 15,000 with the 22's on it.

I just don't want to read about you crashing on the dragon or anything else of that nature. I' all for being different and trying new things, but please do it safely. You mentioned a light weight wheel in that size, that's sounds ok, but make sure the car's suspension, hubs, brakes and axles are in 100% good condition.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Forum Regular

i deal with pros and only pros at my wheel shop that's all they do high end cars. custom wheels 3 pieces all day on lambos and ferraris. they have portfolios like artists and that's how they take it as an art. if i go out and bust my car up due to the rims they put on there that would not be good for them due to the written warranty for fitment and function and the pursuing lawsuit i would file. trust me before i start spending this kind of money i do my home work on who is best and who stand behind there work. i have respect for people who customize there vehicles and for the people that help us do it the right way so that our vehicles still function.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular

btw i would never put a full face let alone a dip wheel on my car. lol.

Quick Reply: will it move on 22's?