Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Ticking Sound?

Old 03-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ticking Sound?

I have a 2004 Crossfire coupe. My car has been garaged for a couple of months due to the weather. I go out once a week, lift the garage door, and run the car for a few minutes. The past weekend I started the car up, went inside for about 5 minutes, came out to shut off the car, and it was making a ticking sound? It almost sounded like a lifter, but not sure? Any thoughts on what I might be hearing. It's not very loud. It sounds like a tick, tick, tick, sound. I'm wondering if I get it out and drive it around for a while if the sound may go away or does it sound like I'm heading to the dealer? The oil was changed in October and I've probably put about 1,000 miles on the car since then.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:16 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Ticking Sound?

Noisey tappet/lifters.
Do a search, it's been discussed more than once before.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJMAC94
I have a 2004 Crossfire coupe. My car has been garaged for a couple of months due to the weather. I go out once a week, lift the garage door, and run the car for a few minutes. The past weekend I started the car up, went inside for about 5 minutes, came out to shut off the car, and it was making a ticking sound? It almost sounded like a lifter, but not sure? Any thoughts on what I might be hearing. It's not very loud. It sounds like a tick, tick, tick, sound. I'm wondering if I get it out and drive it around for a while if the sound may go away or does it sound like I'm heading to the dealer? The oil was changed in October and I've probably put about 1,000 miles on the car since then.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Could be a coil arcing. Next time you hear the noise, lift the hood and listen to noise carefully. A collapsed lifter sounds like a sewing machine when the hood is up, but a noisy coil sounds like more like a quiet whip-snap (if that makes sense.)

I've heard a coil arcing on my brand new car.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:23 AM

As Sonoronos suggests, check the wiring/coil. Espeically if your car is in a humid environment. When looking for loose wires, open the hood in the dark, jumping spark will be more apparent.

Noisy valve train is another possiblity, either from excessive oil drainback from sitting for so long, (I don't think a week is too long) or a sticky/dirty part in the valve train...as was also suggested these may have a chronic valve problem I'm not aware of, embedded in the forum somewhere. Don't envy you with the forum search function, sometimes sifting through all the BS to find useful info is more difficult than bringing the car to a shop. Let us all know what you find out.

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Could be a coil arcing. Next time you hear the noise, lift the hood and listen to noise carefully. A collapsed lifter sounds like a sewing machine when the hood is up, but a noisy coil sounds like more like a quiet whip-snap (if that makes sense.)

I've heard a coil arcing on my brand new car.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:50 AM

This happened to me one time. I too start the car occasionally while being stored for the winter. One time I let it sit for a couple of weeks. When I started it, one of the lifters was ticking loudly for a couple of seconds. After research, I determined it to be caused by the oil draining completely into the pan. It took a couple of seconds for the lifter to "pump up." Hasn't happened since. As for the sewing machine sound. Don't get abnormal noises confused with normal noises. These engines are typically noisy. Most of them sound like a sewing machine at idle when standing outside the vehicle. The C32 MB guys refer to the engines as German Sewing Machines.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 AM

Why do I keep getting stuck with lifter ticking cars. My previous two stealths did the same thing, but wasn't fatal. I just hope this doesn't become a problem later. Lifter tick is USUALLY not fatal, except with the case of the GM 3400 V6 found in all Grand Ams and Ventures. Lifter tick in those engines are fatal because it's a sign of extreme CAM and roller wear. Had two die with the same problem.

Last edited by klamathpro; 03-04-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:05 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm new to the site, but figured out how to do a search on the topic. I'm going to start it up tonight and lift the hood as was suggested to see if I see anything abnormal going on. The car has sat in the garage for about 6 weeks and has only been started once a week. The ticking sound isn't loud...I've heard bad lifter knock before and this is not a really loud ticking or slapping sound. After I look under the hood I'll drive it around and see if the sound subsides. Interestingly, I didn't notice the sound at start up, but rather after it had run for about 5 minutes which I'm assuming would have given the car plenty of time to get the oil to the top of the motor.

I'll let you know what happens after I get it back out on the road for a drive.

Thanks again for the feedback. I can't wait for better weather so I can start driving it daily to work.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:09 AM

Well, last night when I got home from work I started up the car...there was a slight ticking sound. I popped the hood and didn't see any evidence of a coil arc, no loose plugs wires, etc.....

I drove the car delicately until it warmed up and then really got on it around town. The car sounded good and couldn't hear any ticking. When I got home I parked it in the garage and left it running, got out of the car and listened.....no more ticking!

The only thing that was a little odd was that there was a slight oil smell? Checked this morning and no evidence of a leak or anything.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll sleep better knowing that the ticking sound seems to be gone.....just think the car sat too long.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Ticking Sound?

Originally Posted by DJMAC94
Well, last night when I got home from work I started up the car...there was a slight ticking sound. I popped the hood and didn't see any evidence of a coil arc, no loose plugs wires, etc.....

I drove the car delicately until it warmed up and then really got on it around town. The car sounded good and couldn't hear any ticking. When I got home I parked it in the garage and left it running, got out of the car and listened.....no more ticking!

The only thing that was a little odd was that there was a slight oil smell? Checked this morning and no evidence of a leak or anything.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll sleep better knowing that the ticking sound seems to be gone.....just think the car sat too long.
Happy to hear!

2 things:
  1. The slight oil smell MIGHT be a leaking valve cover gasket. Search for threads on this forum.
  2. I have very good hearing and can hear the fuel injectors (high-pitched "tick", and many of them) when the car is cold. That noise diminishes by 75% when it warms up, at least in my car. I've isolated this sound using a stethoscope and mine is definitely NOT valve train clatter (lower-pitched "tacking"). It comes from the injectors.
Does this make any sense to others?

Old 03-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Forum Regular

They replaced my engine because i had the ticking sound and I am glad they did, runs better then ever...

Old 03-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also MErcedes cars have a really loud check valve on the driver side fender, it clicks really fast and loud.

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Happy to hear!

2 things:
  1. The slight oil smell MIGHT be a leaking valve cover gasket. Search for threads on this forum.
  2. I have very good hearing and can hear the fuel injectors (high-pitched "tick", and many of them) when the car is cold. That noise diminishes by 75% when it warms up, at least in my car. I've isolated this sound using a stethoscope and mine is definitely NOT valve train clatter (lower-pitched "tacking"). It comes from the injectors.
Does this make any sense to others?

Old 02-28-2017, 08:46 PM

I am a shade tree mechanic of sorts, work on a lot of friends rigs.. the 2006 crossfire srt6 is my best friend's.. leaky valve cover gaskets, changed them.. Then the ticking started... I always use dielectric grease on my distribution caps, well make sure .. sure ... Sure your boots are seated because I swear it was a lifter until I read this thread and went back and double checked my boots. Sure enough loose plug wire on the coil pack...