Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Warning Beeper and HI symbol for oil ICON

Old 04-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning Beeper and HI symbol for oil ICON

Oil changed 2800 miles ago, everything was fine no beepers and FSS showing 4200 miles until change of oil needed service A.

HOWEVER-

Today while driving, a warning beeper came on and the oil ICON showed HI.

After 1/2 mile the beeper and icon went off.

Approx 3 miles when it was safe I pulled over and manually checked the oil level, it was fine. I checked the FSS it still indicated HI.

I drove back to my office and rechecked the FSS and now it shows 4200 miles until the oil change is needed and service A, without showing HI.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Warning Beeper and HI symbol for oil ICON

No concerns with the mileage indication - that only drops in 100's.
Regarding the oil level - did you check it when the car was level, also, check when the engine is cold. If my memory serves me right, I think the HI indication comes on when there is about 1 quart too much oil. Probably in the manual - check there first.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 AM

I just had the exact same thing happen to me, and my oil had been changed about 3000 miles ago as well. My oil level does seem high, but shouldn't it just burn off if there's too much? Now my Check Engine light is on (about a week later). I don't even want to take the car back to the dealer because I dropped nearly a grand on it last time it was there. Only thing I want to drop now is a tree on the car...

Old 04-08-2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by spensley
No concerns with the mileage indication - that only drops in 100's.
Regarding the oil level - did you check it when the car was level, also, check when the engine is cold. If my memory serves me right, I think the HI indication comes on when there is about 1 quart too much oil. Probably in the manual - check there first.
Yes I checked the oil while car level.

How would the oil amount grow since the change 2800 miles ago? I haven't added any to it and the indicator never came on prior to today.

Thanks

Old 04-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LouieLouie2000
I just had the exact same thing happen to me, and my oil had been changed about 3000 miles ago as well. My oil level does seem high, but shouldn't it just burn off if there's too much? Now my Check Engine light is on (about a week later). I don't even want to take the car back to the dealer because I dropped nearly a grand on it last time it was there. Only thing I want to drop now is a tree on the car...
nope but it may just cause damage if high enough ... crank starts whipping it up and causing it to foam ... not good for lubrication.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Forum Regular

i think their is a reset, where was the mark on the oil dipstick

CHECKING ENGINE OIL LEVEL
A sensor in the oil pan allows oil level to be checked
without opening the hood. It provides an accurate measurement
of oil level, whereas the low engine oil level
indicator warns that oil level is definitely too low. With
the vehicle parked on a level surface, the engine is
warmed up and shut off for approximately five minutes.
When the ignition switch is turned to the ON/RUN
position, an ISO oil level icon appears in the trip odometer
window and a “clock” icon in the cumulative
odometer display. Pressing the **** to the left of the
speedometer twice within one second displays one of the
following messages:
• OK
• -1.0 Q (-1.0L)
• -1.5 Q (-1.5L)
• -2.0 Q (-2.0L)
• HI
The indicated amount of oil must be added to the engine
if the message -2.0 Q (-2.0L) blinks and a signal sounds.
The HI message indicates that the excess oil must be
removed from the pan to avoid possible engine or
catalytic converter damage. If the ISO oil level icon and
“clock” icon remain on when attempting to check oil
level and no message follows, or if the low engine oil
level warning lamp comes on, a malfunction in the
engine oil level system is indicated. A conveniently
located dipstick allows manual checking of the oil level.
If no leaks are noted, continue to drive to the nearest
service station where the engine oil should be topped to
the “full” mark on the dipstick with an approved oil.
29. Low Fuel Warning Light
When the fuel level drops to about 2 gallons (7.5
liters), this symbol will light and remains lit until
fuel is added.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by huudoo
i think their is a reset, where was the mark on the oil dipstick

CHECKING ENGINE OIL LEVEL
A sensor in the oil pan allows oil level to be checked
without opening the hood. It provides an accurate measurement
of oil level, whereas the low engine oil level
indicator warns that oil level is definitely too low. With
the vehicle parked on a level surface, the engine is
warmed up and shut off for approximately five minutes.
When the ignition switch is turned to the ON/RUN
position, an ISO oil level icon appears in the trip odometer
window and a “clock” icon in the cumulative
odometer display. Pressing the **** to the left of the
speedometer twice within one second displays one of the
following messages:
• OK
• -1.0 Q (-1.0L)
• -1.5 Q (-1.5L)
• -2.0 Q (-2.0L)
• HI
The indicated amount of oil must be added to the engine
if the message -2.0 Q (-2.0L) blinks and a signal sounds.
The HI message indicates that the excess oil must be
removed from the pan to avoid possible engine or
catalytic converter damage. If the ISO oil level icon and
“clock” icon remain on when attempting to check oil
level and no message follows, or if the low engine oil
level warning lamp comes on, a malfunction in the
engine oil level system is indicated. A conveniently
located dipstick allows manual checking of the oil level.
If no leaks are noted, continue to drive to the nearest
service station where the engine oil should be topped to
the “full” mark on the dipstick with an approved oil.
29. Low Fuel Warning Light
When the fuel level drops to about 2 gallons (7.5
liters), this symbol will light and remains lit until
fuel is added.
The dipstick level was 3/4 from the top of the driving range.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:35 AM

My oil sensor, in the pan, was replaced under warranty, at around 22,000 miles. You may want to have the sensor checked , as it may be the problem, not your oil level.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True but ..... we have a Mercedes with just about the same set up as the Crossfire and it too has the same system. Got the oil changed back in January and a few weeks later the light came on. Took it back to the dealer and they said it was overfilled, they drained a bit off and KOW its been fine since. My Crossfire did the same thing but it was right before the oil service was due last year. My 1 wrench service indicator is showing but so far no high oil light.
Pat

Old 04-09-2008, 03:04 PM

I have an appointment with Lake Norman Chrysler to look at the OIL Icon HI and 6 other items I have an issue with. It is a warranty visit and my first visit to their dealership. I will let everyone know what comes from my visit.

Thanks

Old 04-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Default After Visit to Dealership-Warning Beeper and HI symbol for oil ICON

I just picked my Xfire up from Lake Norman Chrysler. Professionally run business. I will be able to just on Xfire competence after a few visits.

As to the HI symbol for the oil ICON-

My oil level was one quart to high. I have checked the oil manually on the dipstick four times since owning the car. Each time I have to wipe off the dipstick three or four times for me to feel confident on the reading. Obviously I did not read the dipstick properly. The bottom of the dipstick is RED and to me is hard to get a good read on the level of the oil because of the red on the dipstick and the color of the oil. ANY SUGGESTIONS? Never in my 32 years owning a car ever had to worry about an oil level being to high, it was always checked to make sure the oil level was not low.

MY MAIN QUESTION NOW IS- Why didn't the sensor in 2800 miles and 2 months of driving not go off before?

Thanks

Last edited by donschorr; 04-10-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:53 PM

Any advice on siphoning the oil to lower the level? My dipstick shows too much oil and I have the HI signal and beep. I don’t want to go back to dealer on this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-24-2018, 12:24 AM
Administrator
Received 893 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadsterBabe
I don’t want to go back to dealer on this.
Well, we all know how it got overfilled. How the hell do dealerships stay in business?
And when will people learn to NOT take these cars to Chrysler dealers? I've been here nine years, and it never changes.

If you want to, go buy a "topsider" but they seem awful expensive to me.

How 'bout this $20 fix?
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-24-2018, 10:45 AM

I will look into the Amazon product...Thanks. I just got done with a dealer where they charged me $989 for a new starter and Mopar webstore had it for $600! Dealer wouldn’t match price. $1400 later and when I picked up the car they didn’t even wash it!!! Now i am finding out they out they put too much oil in. Never going back!

Old 08-24-2018, 11:15 AM
Received 355 Likes on 314 Posts

Tons of valuable do it yourself info here.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

Old 11-21-2018, 11:25 AM

Add me to the list of having this same problem for unknown reasons. I do my own oil changes so I know it was correct. Changed oil and filter yesterday with no problems. Followed the owners manual to the "T". Take the car out today and received the dreaded "oil can HI" icon. Re-checked the owners manual and it calls for 8.5 quarts. Just for grins I checked the MB SLK320 oil capacity specs and it says 8 quarts. Is there anyone here that things the oil capacity for a MB vs Crossfire is different? Here may be the reason we are all getting the high oil warning. The MB SLK320 AMG calls for 8.5 quarts. There is no separate capacity for a SRT6 model in my owners manual. IMHO the owners manual is misleading at best as it is only showing the oil capacity for the AMG/SRT6 model and not the base engine.
Comments???
Problem solved...I just drained off the extra pint (16oz) of oil and now no error message. I haven't totally searched the Forum database but am surprised that no one else has found the error in the owners manual. If I'm the last man standing...please someone send me any know links for this issue. Thinking back to my previous oil change when I didn't have an owners manual yet, I have a faint memory of reading somewhere online that the capacity was 8 quarts. In hindsight I now know the correct amount.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:00 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 507 Likes on 349 Posts

I have changed my oil on my car each year since 2007 and never added more than 8 quarts at an oil change
8 quarts always fills my oil capacity to the full line on the dipstick and that's the way it it has always been for me

Old 11-21-2018, 06:57 PM
Received 547 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Valk
I have changed my oil on my car each year since 2007 and never added more than 8 quarts at an oil change
8 quarts always fills my oil capacity to the full line on the dipstick and that's the way it it has always been for me
Like VALK, I too add only 8 quarts of 0w40 Mobil 1 European Formula motor oil during a scheduled change along with a "fleece" oil filter element. And with this process, no issues.

I did attempt 1x to add the 8 liters that is actually the correct amount of oil for the oil change on the M-B 3.2L V6. This calls for about another 1/2 quart (0.45 qt to be exact) beyond the 8 quarts. Like most folks, I probably added an extra 0.50 quart of oil - ever so slightly over-filled. Performed this oil change right before a Dragon weekend event. During that weekend, while driving around on those twisted mountain roadways, the HI level indicator came on several times. Seems like whenever the car forced oil to one side of the oil pan, the HI level warning light went off. Came home & removed about 1/2 quart of the oil I put in. Warning light never came on again.

For those that had the warning light come on, do you recall if you were taking any turns aggressively enough to force oil to one side of the oil pan? That would trigger the HI level indicator if the amount of oil near the sensor was excessive. An engine oil system with 8 liters added during an oil change could do that with some aggressive driving - ?. For me it is hard to understand why you would be able to drive for several thousand miles w/o any HI oil level warning and then all of a sudden, you have too much oil in the car. Doesn't follow any logical process. Something specific is happening to cause the HI oil level warning to come on. A bad sensor - definitely a possibility. Oil level high near the sensor - definitely a possibility with some aggressive driving style & an oil system with 8+ liters added during the oil change. My $0.02

Just thinking out loud. Some folks put 8 liters in w/o issue. Some have issues with 8 liters added (which is hard to get exact in the non-metric world). Quite a few of us (in the non-metric world) use 8 quarts w/o any issues whatsoever.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 11-23-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:21 PM
Received 547 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by 06XFBase
Add me to the list of having this same problem for unknown reasons. I do my own oil changes so I know it was correct. Changed oil and filter yesterday with no problems. Followed the owners manual to the "T". Take the car out today and received the dreaded "oil can HI" icon. Re-checked the owners manual and it calls for 8.5 quarts. Just for grins I checked the MB SLK320 oil capacity specs and it says 8 quarts. Is there anyone here that things the oil capacity for a MB vs Crossfire is different? Here may be the reason we are all getting the high oil warning. The MB SLK320 AMG calls for 8.5 quarts. There is no separate capacity for a SRT6 model in my owners manual. IMHO the owners manual is misleading at best as it is only showing the oil capacity for the AMG/SRT6 model and not the base engine.
Comments???
Problem solved...I just drained off the extra pint (16 oz) of oil and now no error message. I haven't totally searched the Forum database but am surprised that no one else has found the error in the owners manual. If I'm the last man standing...please someone send me any know links for this issue. Thinking back to my previous oil change when I didn't have an owners manual yet, I have a faint memory of reading somewhere online that the capacity was 8 quarts. In hindsight I now know the correct amount.
The errors in the Owners Manuals are well known to most of us. The correct oil change quantity is 8 LITERS - these are metric-designed motors. And 8 LITERS is not 8.5 QUARTS - it is 8.45 QUARTS. And that is hard to measure exactly. And I can believe that a dealership would add the full extra quart of oil just not to have to deal with the half-quart of oil left over. Did anyone check to see how much oil was charged during an oil change? Even if the invoice said 8.5 quarts, one may have gotten the entire 9 quarts added. Most dealers are not installing oil in these cars from a bulk-loading system. Oil is too specific & non-standard. So most dealers are performing this oil change using bottled quantities. Could these cars be sensitive to the difference between 8 LITERS (8.45 QUARTS) and 8.5 QUARTS? It wouldn't surprise me knowing German design approach.

And in your specific case, installing the 8.5 quarts was essentially identical to the 1x oil change I performed some time back. And I too got the dreaded HI LEVEL oil warning light. So, like many of us, I use 8 quarts when I change oil, and no more problems.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:07 PM
Administrator
Received 893 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by 06XFBase
Add me to the list of having this same problem for unknown reasons.
It is not an "unknown reason", I've been a Crossfire owner since July 6, 2009. I did my first oil change that fall, had the alarm light going down an on-ramp a few days later.
Checked in here, got the lowdown: "Mark, anything over 8 quarts will set off the alarm."

I've done COUNTLESS oil changes since then, 8 quarts does it.

In 2010, I brought home my second Crossfire - and it was lighting the alarm on the way home. The car got an oil change that weekend - with 8 quarts.
My current SE came with only 8 in it, as the previous owner apparently informed PEP BOYS in Orlando of the 8 quart capacity. Personally, NO ONE is allowed to change the oil on any vehicle I own, other than myself.

Quick Reply: Warning Beeper and HI symbol for oil ICON