Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

What are your planned upgrades?

Old 10-08-2003, 09:13 AM
imported_mightyjlr
Default What are your planned upgrades?

After having my Crossfire for a little over a week, here is my list of mods or improvements I want to get in the next year...

1) Window Tint - Illegal here in NJ, but I want to go for a very light tint, I think it will make my black Crossfire even better.

2) Mopar door sills - nice touch

3)Renntech Chip - A little expensive for $10 extra horses, but I think it's worth it.

4) Navigation - Still looking around, but hopefully I'll get it by the summer.

What is everyone else planning on doing?

Old 10-08-2003, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far got my windows tinted, plan on painting the trim arround the windshield and door handles to match the paint. If you find a Nav System let me know , that's on my list too. Maybe some performance mods latter. Don't want to void the warranty and plan on keeping the car for a long time. Maybe some tires and whells also. Would like some run flats, the 18/19 tires with no spare make me nervious on long trips. :shock:

Old 10-08-2003, 03:03 PM

The Fiited tyres are run flat anyway aren,t they?

Old 10-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I already did a major audio system overhaul: McIntosh head unit and amps, Focal Speakers, lots of sound damping material. The sound is extremely sweet... I'm putting the finishing touches on it this week. I installed a Sirius system but already cancelled my subscription because the sound quality was inferior to FM.

I'm constantly on the hunt for performance upgrades but all seem very expensive for the bang. I plan to look into adding the larger AMG SLK32 brakes (admittedly because they will look cooler - I probably won't drive the current brakes beyond their limits).

I'd like to see the premium floormats since the stock ones seem low-qual since I already have heel marks wearing into the driver's side mat.

Stock Michelin tires are not run-flat - there's just a can of inflating goo in the trunk.

Old 10-08-2003, 06:24 PM
Forum Regular

Post pics of that stereo system--it sounds sweeeet.

Old 10-08-2003, 10:42 PM

We are a RennTech dealer and of course did the Flash. It is nice! It is a subtle but noticeable increase in torque and Hp. I like the stock sound...don't see a need to do anything with that. eurodirt@rof.net

Old 10-17-2003, 04:27 AM
Forum Regular

What I've gotten so far is simply cosmetic and functional.

I got the sill plates, the luggage organizer for the trunk and the car cover.

Haven't found a navigation unit that blends in yet but I'm close with some custom designs, perhaps a in-rearview display.

Serious modifications will have to wait for the budget to come back, then RENN's Level 3 or something similar will be the goal.

Old 10-17-2003, 06:44 AM
kusheen
Default nothing yet

I've not seen anything on the market yet that I want to add to the car. Cosmetically, my own view is that the dress up items out there only add to the 'it's pretty but it don't really go' image it already unfairly has out there. The only cosmetic thing I've been half way contemplating is I've been sorta looking for black/graphite rims for my black car.

Oh yeah, if somebody molded carbon fiber, or possibly wood replacement pieces for the center console I might look at those.

I wish there were some decent performance add ons out there, be they horsepower or handling. Have no desire to drop tens of thousands on the Renntech stuff. The brakes on the car, according to the 60 to 0 and 80 to 0 stopping distances in R & T, are class leaders. For my purposes, I can't see droping $7K or so to upgrade the front/rears w/Renntech.

And haven't heard from anyone who's actually done the $1K ECU chip, so really don't know if it's either worth it or a safe mod. If everybody kicks in $10, I'll do the mod and report back :0

The one thing cars like the Z have over the Xfire, largely due to numbers on the road, is that there is a huge aftermarket market so that guys that want to dress their cars up have a bunch of options, or guys that want to soup up have a bunch of options. I click on the Forum store here about once a month, disappointed to still see that only Renntech stuff is listed.

So, unless I find some nice, place or dark gray wheels for the car, it's likely to stay pretty much as is.

Old 10-17-2003, 09:31 AM

Mouserider - where did you find the sill plates. Everywhere I look they are still unavailable - due Oct 2003.
Thanks

Old 10-17-2003, 10:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mouserider, how do you like the luggage organizer? I'm interested in it to keep things in the "trunk" from sliding around. How does it look and how is the quality?

Old 10-17-2003, 06:50 PM

Also interested in the sill plates and checking out the trunk organizer. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 10-17-2003, 09:25 PM

I'm disappointed with the lack of a daytime-visible display on the stereo, and not especially impressed with the sound, particularly the rather muddy bass. So I'm likely to follow X-fired's lead and swap out the audio system first. X-fired, does the McIntosh head unit you used blend in with the console treatment, or does it stand out like a sore thumb the way that black Alpine navigation unit does in the pics that someone put up in their gallery? (No offense intended to the Alpine poster, by the way. The sore thumb thing is purely a subjective judgement of personal preference.) Also, what sort of sound damping material did you add? Are you talking surface materials in the cockpit, or stuff inside the doors, the wall behind the seats, etc.? I hadn't really thought about it before, but depending on the design, those cavities could be part of the cause of the muddy bass.

Aside from the stereo, I have to admit that I find those cheesy illuminated sill plates attractive for some reason. And I have to agree with kusheen on a couple of points. I'd love to see a reasonably-priced way to increase the power, but the lack of such seems to be mostly par for the course with normally aspirated cars these days. I'd also love to see a replacement for the silver plastic in the center console, though I'll leave the carbon fiber and wood treatments to kusheen. I'd prefer a brushed or anodized aluminum finish, myself.

Cheers,

Greg

Old 10-20-2003, 07:01 PM

I had an XM FM modulated radio installed..put the tuner where the cup holder used to be..
will definately get the logo floor mats and the lighted sill plates when available..
I'm interested in more pieces to cover the rest of the dash if someone made a kit to match the existing one..
Possibly hand painted pinstripes...I had a 2002 TBird done and it really enhanced the car..so that is a possibility..
And..possibly a catback muffler system..also put a Borla on several of my cars including the Tbird..a much more mellow sound.
And...dustless brake pads!! Where is Raybestos when you need them???

Old 10-20-2003, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by leonkurzweil
And...dustless brake pads!! Where is Raybestos when you need them???
Oh, good call, Leon. I forgot that on my list. There've been a couple of threads over the in Tech & Mods forum that have referenced this link:

http://www.formymercedes.com/porterfield.asp

They don't have the Crossfire listed, but they do have the SLK320. They're asking $99 for the front pads and $89 for the rears.

Googling for "porterfield brake pads" turns up what look like quite a few other places selling them, as well as a number of user comments, most of which seem quite positive. No one here has yet admitted to using them, though. :wink:

Cheers,

Greg

Old 10-23-2003, 11:06 PM

Who has seen a trunk organizer for this car? Anyone got pictures?

Old 10-23-2003, 11:18 PM
imported_mightyjlr

Originally Posted by pete1365
Who has seen a trunk organizer for this car? Anyone got pictures?
There are two cargo organizers available from Mopar. You can see them at http://www.crossfireshop.com. We are not yet currently selling them, but should be sometime in mid-November. The prices do not reflect what we will be selling them for, just the MSRP. We should have the lowest price on the internet, but have yet to figure out what that will be. If you can't wait, just search for Crossfire Accessories on Google, and you will find some stores selling them.