Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Aspiration Conversion

Old 01-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aspiration Conversion

In my quest for power I have asked many of you for advice and found that a supercharged V6 would be best for me. I was told that the boost of an SRT/AMG supercharger would blow up a non-SRT/AMG engine. I have now found a damaged SRT/AMG engine. So I ask those of you who know, what parts of the engine are different between the SRT/AMG and the non-SRT/AMG so that I may replace them int mine and withstand the 14.5 psi of boost from the supercharger. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Aspiration Conversion

engine internals
the srt6 engines are fully forged for a reason

Old 01-20-2010, 11:41 PM

What? the block, the cylinder heads, the pistoins, the cam shaft, the crank shaft, what else is different??? I've got a damaged AMG engine, what else do I need from it. I will just make an AMG engine that will take boost.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Aspiration Conversion

From my understanding you will need the entire engine and its components, they are two totally different platforms...SRT is on the AMG platform and the Limited is on the R170 platform, you will also need the ECU. I may be wrong, but I do not think that you can just swap the internals.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Teck-9
What? the block, the cylinder heads, the pistoins, the cam shaft, the crank shaft, what else is different??? I've got a damaged AMG engine, what else do I need from it. I will just make an AMG engine that will take boost.
Did you buy the engine already? If so, take some pictures.. and just a tip.. Use the best camera you have available to you, and use the macro switch (usually 2 settings, either mountains for far away and flowers for close up) . What's damaged on this thing?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The AMG engine is built to extremely tight tolerances. I do not know if you could just drop the AMG pistons in the NA engine as one example. Even if you can, and you can figure out the issues you will have with the ECU, BCM, etc. Do you plan on upgrading the suspension and braking components to SRT specifications? I applaud you for taking this on, and wish you the best of luck. There are certainly enough talent in this forum to get you through the rough spots, which you can be certain there will be many. Just don't loose sight of the fact that the engine alone does not make an SRT-6.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:51 AM

Well, the car was bought for me, so it woulndnt be cheaper to buy an srt6 and also I have become emotionally attached to mine. my goal is 450 HP. I do not have the engine, it is at a junkyard for a good price. im not sure whats damaged which is why Im asking what parts are different. after i get an AMG engine, i plan on getting a dual cold air intake, a high flow exhaust, remove my catalytic converters, and get a smaller puller wheel for the supercharger, then a chip tuning. does that sound like i can get 450. it has 350 stock.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:50 AM

Well, the car was bought for me, so it woulndnt be cheaper to buy an srt6 and also I have become emotionally attached to mine. my goal is 450 HP. I do not have the engine, it is at a junkyard for a good price. im not sure whats damaged which is why Im asking what parts are different. after i get an AMG engine, i plan on getting a dual cold air intake, a high flow exhaust, remove my catalytic converters, and get a smaller puller wheel for the supercharger, then a chip tuning. does that sound like i can get 450. it has 350 stock.
You have alot to learn young one. Also you're going to need some deep pockets. Do you have another vehicle to drive or is the crossfire your daily driver?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

SRT has roughly 349 crank HP which is alot different than RWHP. I do not think anyone has a Crossfire with 450 RWHP that I know of. The mods you are talking about should put you in the 330 to 340 RWHP range. Remember, crank HP is for marketing only. RWHP is what you use to measure usable HP.

If you are talking 450 crank HP (which, I am not sure why you would want to), you would need to mod to approximately 369 RWHP which is achievable but not with the mods you described.

Last edited by bmorgan; 01-21-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The whole front of the engine is different. The timing cover, accessories, all of it are different. If you have a manual, you'll be looking for a new clutch and flywheel since they are different between the auto and the manual as are the transmission computers. If you're seriously thinking about doing this, talk to LantanaTX because you might as well do the V8 swap if you're gonna be tearing it all out anyways.

All that aside, if I were you, drive the car for another year, save up 4-5 grand and trade it in for an SRT. You'll be money ahead in the long run. I'm not trying to be a nay-sayer but your proposed endeavor will end in tears...either because it won't get finished or because you'll be 5 grand or more into before you have it running.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:42 PM

i have to agree, these cares have so many sensors, computers, etc.,etc.,etc......., i would not attemp this type of conversion. i used to have a srt6 and you will not acheive the same thing by changing engine parts. save some mony and trade for a srt6 and you will be happy with the outcome. if you are too attached to your xfire them spend your money wisely to get the most hp out of the na and be happy with that. remember we have some extremely intelligent people on this forum that have been trying for 5 or 6 years now to disable our traction control with no luck as of yet ( as far as i know from reading the posts). with that said imagine the nightmare that you will have when you start trying your conversion. it would be a different story if you had the support of the entire mecedes engineering dept. at your disposal. dont be offended by this but these are the facts and i along with alot of other people have learned very expensive lessons from trying to take a short-cut to get to a disired goal. anything is possible though, if you truly want to be supercharged drive the car as is until you accumulate everything needed and gut everything electronic and go old school with a blown 318 small block. lots of luck and sorry this is so long

Old 01-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my quest for power I have asked many of you for advice and found that a supercharged V6 would be best for me. I was told that the boost of an SRT/AMG supercharger would blow up a non-SRT/AMG engine. I have now found a damaged SRT/AMG engine. So I ask those of you who know, what parts of the engine are different between the SRT/AMG and the non-SRT/AMG so that I may replace them int mine and withstand the 14.5 psi of boost from the supercharger. Thanks.
Pistons, rods, wristpin, piston rings, bearings, oil cooler, piston oil squirters oil filter housing, injectors, intake, and a whole bunch of other crap - and of course that doesn't take into consideration the electronics and sensors.

Last edited by sonoronos; 01-22-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

The guys are right.
This ain't gonna happen. Save up and get an SRT if you want a boosted Crossfire.

If you continue down this path I'll be willing to buy the car after you have it all torn apart and can't get it back together.
I've got a project that I want to do.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Forum Regular

Kleemann M112 SuperCharger System Mercedes SLK320 V6 R170 96-04 much eaiser but more expensive.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

theres an e55 s/c v8 engine for sale witha tranny on m/bworld. if your gonna swap swap for somethin big!!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
SRT has roughly 349 crank HP which is alot different than RWHP. I do not think anyone has a Crossfire with 450 RWHP that I know of. The mods you are talking about should put you in the 330 to 340 RWHP range. Remember, crank HP is for marketing only. RWHP is what you use to measure usable HP.

If you are talking 450 crank HP (which, I am not sure why you would want to), you would need to mod to approximately 369 RWHP which is achievable but not with the mods you described.
see ImportLabSRT... He currently has 506RWHP...but then again, his SRT is boosted...with a turbocharger...so I guess he doesn't count.

I agree that I do not believe anyone has even hit the 400RWHP point with the stock SRT supercharger... If only there was room for long tube headers on this baby.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
see ImportLabSRT... He currently has 506RWHP...but then again, his SRT is boosted...with a turbocharger...so I guess he doesn't count.

I agree that I do not believe anyone has even hit the 400RWHP point with the stock SRT supercharger... If only there was room for long tube headers on this baby.
I wanna see dyno sheets for this. 506RWHP is roughly 600HP at the crank so while it's not impossible, it's unlikely... granted if someone was making that much power, it would be him.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
I wanna see dyno sheets for this. 506RWHP is roughly 600HP at the crank so while it's not impossible, it's unlikely... granted if someone was making that much power, it would be him.
+1

Brian is more than capable, but those are some huge numbers. If this is true, the drivetrain is more stout than I thought

Old 01-22-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
+1

Brian is more than capable, but those are some huge numbers. If this is true, the drivetrain is more stout than I thought
My thoughts exactly.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by rcompart
It was on a dynojet vs. the eurocharged dyno dynamics. not sure what it made on the dyno dynamics, 480rwhp maybe...

you'll have to have bryan upload graphs ... not sure if he kept them or not.

Quick Reply: Aspiration Conversion