Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Nothing But Problems

Old 03-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nothing But Problems

I have 12,000+ miles on a Crossfire. So far I have experienced:

1. Wind noise (driver and passenger) that will not go away.
2. The air bag deploy light went off today for the third time in four months (last time the car sat in the dealership for 3 weeks waiting for a part)
3. Check engine light has gone on once.
4. A new fan noise has developed over the past week. My "five star" dealer in Houston (Archer Chrysler) noticed it and said something was wrong when I dropped the car off last Friday. When I called to check on the status on Monday (they will never call me) this roar you can't talk over has suddenly has become "acceptable".

This car is a piece and during a discussion about trading it in my dealer says it's worth about $25K on a car with $3K cash back. In reality, it's probably worth about $20K.

The total experience has been pathetic and the negatives far outweigh the "but we look good" mantality in these forums.

I feel like we've all been sucker punched. Anyone know what the Texas lemon laws are?

Old 03-02-2004, 10:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:shock: Man, thats sad. What is the last six digits in your vin number? Is it an earlier production model? Hopefully some users on this forum can pull some knowledge together and help you get your problems resolved. Can anyone help with info on Scotc's problems here? Any Tech's?

Old 03-02-2004, 10:27 PM
Default Thanks Dan

Appreciate the attitude but growing continually aggravated with the car. The last numbers are 001664. I have no idea what the means or how early in production I am. At this point, any help, news, fire, bomb, flood, etc. would be gratefully received.

Old 03-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Default Re: Thanks Dan

Originally Posted by scottc
Appreciate the attitude but growing continually aggravated with the car. The last numbers are 001664. I have no idea what the means or how early in production I am. At this point, any help, news, fire, bomb, flood, etc. would be gratefully received.
sounds like it's time to start making some noise with d.c.-corp. they've got a lot riding on this thing and are very sensitive to the cars image. it wouldn't suprise me if they monitored this forum. my dealer, copeland ,up north-tomball, is really juiced about the car and has been golden. so far.

or, take it to that mall. leave the keys in it and go have lunch.

nice to see another houston x-firer but too bad about the circumstances. close to 8000 miles and so far...perfect.

dan

Old 03-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default sorry to hear your news.....

i have not returned to the dealer for even one complaint with my crossfire....and i am beyond picky.

Old 03-03-2004, 05:32 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a couple small problems...but your dealing with a crap Dealer! The quality on this car is better than most.

Old 03-03-2004, 06:39 AM
kusheen
Default knock on wood

Danwell wrote: "Man, thats sad. What is the last six digits in your vin number? Is it an earlier production model? "

Stop jinxing us! I have #001152 w/6 speed w/3300 miles...so far (aside from tire bubble) my only worries have been wind noise and swapping out the radio...

KNOCK ON WOOD :shock:

Old 03-03-2004, 08:06 AM

While I understand scotts frustration there is nothing there that could not be resolved by a compentent dealer. It is a early car though and that could be part of the problem.

My Crossfire is the quietest of the many cars that I have owned, and much quieter than my current 2nd car a top of the line Volvo. And outside of my ex Mazda 929 the most trouble free. Lot's more for me to like than looks alone!

Old 03-03-2004, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by crossfiretech
Sounds like you have a couple small problems...but your dealing with a crap Dealer! The quality on this car is better than most.
I agree, I consider myself an expert on crap / mediocre "Five Star" dealers. Mine pulled off the wind noise fix with no problems.

Old 03-03-2004, 08:53 AM
Forum Regular

I work for the corporate DCX business center in the South West region, which covers Houston. I'm going to give a copy of this thread to the warranty group. They will get it resolved for you.

Sorry you've had such a problem so far. I'll keep you updated via PM's.

Old 03-03-2004, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the encouragement and the chance to blow off steam. It is very discouraging to read and hear about the great reviews of this car and not be able to experience it myself.

I took the car to the dealer again this morning. The sales manager (who has been extremely supportive through this) put me in a Pacifica and assured me the Chrysler regional tech rep would be contacted.

I understand these people didn't make the vehicle and more than anything I hate driving onto the lot knowing there's a "oh God...he's back" atmosphere. I just want a functioning car!

I will post updates and any further information from you all will be appreciated.

Old 03-03-2004, 02:20 PM

Hang in there! You'll see my seemingly endless stream of problems in the Tech & Mod forum here. I was in the same boat, with many of the same feelings.

Don't dwell on it. Rant and Rave, here. Complain stongly, but calmly, to the dealership and Chrysler, as much as you can. Go into the garage and take a hammer to an answering machine when it gets to much (actually, I went through an answering machine, two vcrs and a PC keyboard).

(I keep trying to say more, and end up just ranting about poor training and even poorer mechanics at the dealerships). Quickly put: Its not the car. First year, early number. There are bound to be problems. The issue isn't the problems that surface, its the inability of the mechanics with 6 hours of training trying to service the car like it was a Neon not a Mercedes and not properly communicating to corporate. And, corporate isn't paying enough attention to their flag ship.

But, the car itself is great, fun, and sleek. If you get past the rough part you are in, without feeling too sick at the sight of the car, you will feel that much better about it after you get resolution. Took me six months before I got all the car in the condition it should have been the day I bought it (I.e. everything simply working).

Think of it as a game... what will they screw up this time? Change the tranny without fluid? Try fixing wind noise twice without checking for a TSB? Bust the window adjusting for wind noise after seeing the TSB? Send a flat-bed driver that doesn't know what he's doing so he damages the car more? Great "water cooler" conversations! (yes, all those and more I've already gone through).

Vent, then relax, you'll get through it, and then you can encourge the next poor soul suckered into thinking Chrysler would be able to service something they produced.

Sorry, can't help the occational digs. :twisted:

Old 03-03-2004, 02:38 PM

Occasional digs noted This is the first "Chrysler" I have ever bought in over 50 years of buying cars, and I'm a little concerned too. So far mine has been trouble free so I have nothing to guage my dealers competence by :roll: ... and good luck scott, we are pulling for you, not enjoying THIS car is an extreme bummer.

Old 03-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Forum Regular
Default scottc

scottc : if you aren't checking your PM's

Please contact me via e-mail

adam@dfwsbr.com

Thank you,

Old 03-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scottc...

All the folks who commented on this thread are 100% right. I went through all the same problems plus the transmission popping out of first gear.

See my thread "Not What I Expected for $35k".

Stick with it and soon all will be better.

Good luck.

Old 03-07-2004, 12:27 PM

Car has been in shop now since Wednesday. I have yet to hear from the service department.

I know I can start contacting Chrysler through the regular methods listed in the owners manual. Seems to me this will take some time.

Does anyone know how to find out who the regional service tech is for my area? If so, how do I reach that person for a face to face?

This coming Friday the car will have been in the shop for a safety issue for 30 days of the last 45.

I don't want to pay an attorney and would rather work this out with Chrysler. I just don't want to get lost in their maze of corporate crap.

Thanks for any help. This forum has been very encouraging so far.

Scott

(By the way, you don't get the looks in the loaner Pacifica I have than you do the Crossfire...as if your voyeurs didn't know.)

Old 03-07-2004, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by scottc
Car has been in shop now since Wednesday. I have yet to hear from the service department.

I know I can start contacting Chrysler through the regular methods listed in the owners manual. Seems to me this will take some time.

Does anyone know how to find out who the regional service tech is for my area? If so, how do I reach that person for a face to face?

This coming Friday the car will have been in the shop for a safety issue for 30 days of the last 45.

I don't want to pay an attorney and would rather work this out with Chrysler. I just don't want to get lost in their maze of corporate crap.

Thanks for any help. This forum has been very encouraging so far.

Scott

(By the way, you don't get the looks in the loaner Pacifica I have than you do the Crossfire...as if your voyeurs didn't know.)
my impression is that chrysler is under enormous pressure from the germans to prove they can do a good job with the crossfire. essentially, m.b. is saying "ok, we'll build you a quality car to sell..let's see if you can maintain it and keep the customers happy." corporate is paying attention. it's not the usual beaucratic maze. contact corporate. there aren't that many crossfires out there and the folks in the black forest expect us to be chrysler salesmen. if we're not, who do you think they'll blame? the car maker or the dealer???

just another free opinion.

dan

Old 03-07-2004, 01:48 PM

Scottc:

I don't know what the lemon laws are in your state, but if they are like in our state, you are at the point where all you should have to do is simply call your dealer - ask for the manager of the dealership, explain how long they have had your baby and tell them it is time to call it a "lemon". We had to do that, and the second we did that, they started the proceedings. Seemed like they were just waiting for us to say the words. Once the words were said, the ball was in motion, and we ended up with a new car.

We kept letting them keep the car with the promise that "tomorrow the part will be here and it will be fixed". We didn't want to make waves or let the car go, so we didn't say anything. But ... as I mentioned, I believe they were probably sitting there scratching their heads, wondering when we would mention the word "lemon" to the Manager of the Dealership, instead of making comments about it to the service department, because I'm sure their hands were tied.

By the way, when we were going through this, I did find lemon law info on the internet. There is NO reason for you to pay an attorney to help you with this. If your car meets the lemon criteria, DC will not waste any time in taking care of it. :shock:

Good Luck!!

Old 03-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Forum Regular

In the UK lemon laws are really non existant but with the trouble you've had I think we'd be able to geta new car by now, give it to the dealer straight, new car or you'll keep moving up the command chain!

Old 03-12-2004, 07:44 PM

Dealership called on Monday...I was shocked and quite surprised to find it was "ready" just after a few days this time (last time as you will remember it took three weeks to get a new air bag replacement part).

I was told this time a loose-wire was the culprit and it was repaired.

This morning, I tried to change the stearing wheel position for the first time since picking up the car. It took all the force in the world to move from back forward.

Not sure what the two have to do with each other, but something is drastically different.

In discussing it with an independent tech today, it has been suggested I have the car checked to see if the airbag has been disconnected- therefore causing the annoying light problem.

Can anyone tell me if I can check this on my own or if I need to take it to another dealer.

Also, still have really bad wind noise on both sides. I read somewhere about taking the seal out, putting a reinforcement under it and putting the seal back on. Has anyone heard about this or done it? Please let me know.

In spite of it all...I have never enjoyed a car quite like this one. It is truly awesome.

Updates later....

Scott

Quick Reply: Nothing But Problems