Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Need help getting father to buy an xfire

Old 04-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Need help getting father to buy an xfire

Sorry kid....I have 3 sons....twins of their younger brother....twins did fine, repaid for the cars I bought them...they ended up their cars, which they traded after college for what THEY wanted. #3 son, love him to death, but never paid for his car, I sold it after college, and gave him one of the twin's cars that I kept for a spare. He is driving MY car, which is an old '97 Grand Am...I just put another $200 bucks in, which he didn't have, but it IS MY car...he has yet to buy himself a car...don't mine giving him transportation while away at college, but he is on his own now...still love him to death, but he is on his own...so no help to you here...Dad needs to do what Dad needs to do, and you should appreciate us old Dad's willingness to do it.....

PS.....yes, I saw that comment John....I got your AARP....lol

Last edited by oledoc2u; 04-24-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Getting back to the original question,

Meester, Your dad needs to buy a car he wants. If he is making the payments he has to be happy everytime he gets in the car. And everytime he gets out.

Here is your delima.

If he is, shall we say, older, gettin in and out ain't easy so unless the perma grin comes on, he will not like the car. If he does like the car, why would he give it up and hand it to you?

Your screwed either way.

Here's an idea. These cars aren't all that expensive to purchase. You can get into one for under ten grand no problem. I can pretty much guaranttee that two years from now that situation will likely be the same.

So put your money away and drive whatever he finds he would like. Then he doesn't have to give up his toy and if you let him drive yours and he loves it, it's his loss to regret.

After all, you had told him.

Or let him have your Toyota for enough cash to go get your own Crossie now.

I loved every car I ever owned. I owned every car I every drove. Even the clunkers, 'cause they were mine. Sump'in to be said for that.

Every car I bought my kid, he tore up 'cause he didn't give a crap about something to which he thought he was entitled. And everytime he wrecked a car of mine that I had given him, I cried just a little.

Jus' sayin

roadster with a stick

The part about the dad being ,(older), and having trouble getting in and out of a Crossfire, hit home. I am going on 72,(would classify as older than dirt,) and I will just say this,"I do have a little trouble sometimes, getting out, getting in, I just kind of turn sideways and roll in."

Once I am in, seat belt on, radar detector on, "LOOK OUT, GRANDPA IS PASSING YOU AT 115 SO DONT TRY AND CATCH ME, WAHOOOOO!!!!

Old 04-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I felt that way about the SRT, but not the NA car. With an SRT things can get out of control real fast, and for that reason I wouldn't give it to a teenager. When you really think about it, there's hardly a car built that won't hit triple digits, and that's more than enough speed to ruin anybodys day.
I think most teenagers get into trouble while driving because they're paying more attention to cell phones, their tunes, text messaging, or being distracted by friends in the back seat, than their driving.
Being a 2 seater, eliminates most of the distractions. It's one of the fastest stopping cars on the road today. It's manuverability enables a driver with quick reactions to avoid sudden obstacles, it's quick enough to get out of somebodys way, and its traction control helps correct mistakes.
Above everything else, the Crossfire seems like it's built like a little tank. There has only been one fatality in a XF (as far as I can remember), and the driver had to do a swan dive into the Grand Canyon to do it. (no disrespect to the deceased, or his family).
In my opinion the SRT and the limited are both the same. SRT just has a little bit more kick. An extra second or two on the 0-60... 2 extra seconds on the quarter mile.... same thing in my book for a common street car. Unless you are trying to race on a track then a couple seconds count. But on the street both cars will shoot off like a rocket with you hit the gas.

Any car may hit triple digits but how do they feel at that speed? And how easy is it to get up to that speed? The crossfire is different than most cars in that respect because it is much easier to get up to 130 MPH and stay there for a long period of time... and honestly most cars can't even hit 130 MPH without a govern kicking in. I have driven many cars and there are not too many that feel safe to me at 115 MPH. They feel very scary and unsafe even at 100 MPH.

No way would I let a 16 year old kid drive a crossfire. It is like giving him permission to get in trouble. He can have a 4 door sedan.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al
The part about the dad being ,(older), and having trouble getting in and out of a Crossfire, hit home. I am going on 72,(would classify as older than dirt,) and I will just say this,"I do have a little trouble sometimes, getting out, getting in, I just kind of turn sideways and roll in."

Once I am in, seat belt on, radar detector on, "LOOK OUT, GRANDPA IS PASSING YOU AT 115 SO DONT TRY AND CATCH ME, WAHOOOOO!!!!
Yeah, I hear giggles whenever I get in and out of mine. Not many laugh when I whiz past 'em though.

As to Meester getting his own,
Chrysler : Crossfire : eBay Motors (item 270568092064 end time Apr-29-10 17:35:27 PDT)

Not too far away from Atlanta in SC. 67K on the clock but remeber, a Benz with 67 K is still go a lot of reliable miles in it. Under the skin, this baby is a Benz.

So, how often can you get a 6 year old Benz for $9K that'll out look and out drive anything you could get for twice that?

What's your Toyota worth?

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 04-24-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
In my opinion the SRT and the limited are both the same. SRT just has a little bit more kick. An extra second or two on the 0-60... 2 extra seconds on the quarter mile.... same thing in my book for a common street car. Unless you are trying to race on a track then a couple seconds count. But on the street both cars will shoot off like a rocket with you hit the gas.

Any car may hit triple digits but how do they feel at that speed? And how easy is it to get up to that speed? The crossfire is different than most cars in that respect because it is much easier to get up to 130 MPH and stay there for a long period of time... and honestly most cars can't even hit 130 MPH without a govern kicking in. I have driven many cars and there are not too many that feel safe to me at 115 MPH. They feel very scary and unsafe even at 100 MPH.

No way would I let a 16 year old kid drive a crossfire. It is like giving him permission to get in trouble. He can have a 4 door sedan.
Blackie, I git what yer sayin' but when I am finally behind the wheel of my Xfire, this ole fart who grunted, groaned and complained to fold up and git in the car, is 18 again.

So now what?

As for how the car feels at high speed? It feels great. It's kinda like sex only it lasts longer.
And unless you git caught doing 150, it costs a lot less too.

roadster with a stick

Old 04-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
In my opinion the SRT and the limited are both the same. SRT just has a little bit more kick. An extra second or two on the 0-60... 2 extra seconds on the quarter mile.... same thing in my book for a common street car. No way would I let a 16 year old kid drive a crossfire. It is like giving him permission to get in trouble. He can have a 4 door sedan.
Blackcross07, If you really don't think there's any difference between controlling a 15 sec. car vs a 13 sec. car under hard acceleration, I won't waste your time trying to convince you otherwise.
Just don't give any kids a 4dr. Camry, they're faster than the Cross.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a Nissan Z. I has a better resale value....

As long as it's a white coupe it will be O.K.

Last edited by Fritzauf; 04-25-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fritzauf
Get a Nissan Z. I has a better resale value....

As long as it's a white coupe it will be O.K.
I don't mean to be insepid but when getting a car for a teen ager, who worries about resale value?

After market Sound systems, funky lights, silly wheels, and stick on crap not to mention Fast food scraps and wrappers under the seats.

And the occasional immovable object encounter....
They are gonna wreck the car.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by musicnsurf
i thought about making a lengthy reply but really...you need to buy your own car (and all that goes with it. you'll thank yourself when you get in your 40's).
He's not talking about his dad buying him a car. You should read comprehensively before being critical of individuals...

Old 04-26-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Sorry kid....I have 3 sons....twins of their younger brother....twins did fine, repaid for the cars I bought them...they ended up their cars, which they traded after college for what THEY wanted. #3 son, love him to death, but never paid for his car, I sold it after college, and gave him one of the twin's cars that I kept for a spare. He is driving MY car, which is an old '97 Grand Am...I just put another $200 bucks in, which he didn't have, but it IS MY car...he has yet to buy himself a car...don't mine giving him transportation while away at college, but he is on his own now...still love him to death, but he is on his own...so no help to you here...Dad needs to do what Dad needs to do, and you should appreciate us old Dad's willingness to do it.....

PS.....yes, I saw that comment John....I got your AARP....lol
Again, the poor kid isn't talking about having his dad buy him a car. Re-read...

Old 04-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Blackcross07, If you really don't think there's any difference between controlling a 15 sec. car vs a 13 sec. car under hard acceleration, I won't waste your time trying to convince you otherwise.
Just don't give any kids a 4dr. Camry, they're faster than the Cross.

C&D said stock SRT6 = 13.5 & Musclefan21 did < 14.4....stock 6 speed....the difference = 0.9 sec.

Last edited by Chris L.; 04-27-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chris L.
C&D said stock SRT6 = 13.5 & Musclefan21 did < 14.4....stock 6 speed....the difference = 0.9 sec.
I was comparing automatics, I didn't want to take advantage of the "unfair advantage" the 6 speed gives you. A manual transmission car performs only as good as the driver can launch and shift. Automatics run much more consistant 1/4 mile ET's.

Motor Trend best recordered time for a "NA" Crossfire was 15.18.
Road & Tracks best recordered time for a SRT6 "Roadster" was 13.3.
Sorry for fudging .12 sec.
I'm sure ANYBODY can hop into a SRT6 and turn near 12 sec. 1/4 miles. After all, we all know it takes no skill to drag race.

Last edited by +fireamx; 04-28-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 PM

I was comparing automatics, I didn't want to take advantage of the "unfair advantage" the 6 speed gives you. A manual transmission car performs only as good as the driver can launch and shift. Automatics run much more consistant 1/4 mile ET's.

Road & Tracks best recordered time for a SRT6 "Roadster" was 15.3.
I'm sure ANYBODY can hop into a SRT6 and turn near 12 sec. 1/4 miles. After all, we all know it takes no skill to drag race.
AHHH the thread's been hijacked by dragsters!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by xodus52
Again, the poor kid isn't talking about having his dad buy him a car. Re-read...
YES HE IS. HE WANTS DAD TO BUY AN XFIRE SO HE GETS IT LATER FOR COLLEGE.

YOU DIDN'T TRY THIS TRICK WITH YOUR PA?

roadster with a stick

Old 04-27-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
YES HE IS. HE WANTS DAD TO BUY AN XFIRE SO HE GETS IT LATER FOR COLLEGE.

YOU DIDN'T TRY THIS TRICK WITH YOUR PA?

roadster with a stick
It sounded more like he was concerned that his dad would be hijacking his corolla and displacing him from his current car setup. At least, that's what I think I would be more concerned about. You old fellas need to take it easy chastising this poor kid lol. I know you all used to dream of being in a car as sweet as ours when you were his age. :P

Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 PM

Road & Tracks best recordered time for a SRT6 "Roadster" was 15.3.
Is that true? MT did the 1/4 in a NA in a shorter time than R&T was able to in an SRT "Roadster" ???

Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chris L.
Is that true? MT did the 1/4 in a NA in a shorter time than R&T was able to in an SRT "Roadster" ???
Sorry about the "Typo" , obviously I meant 13.3. I'm surprised it took so long for anybody to notice.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:23 AM

OK, so if 13.3 is the best documented time for an unmodified SRT-6 & Musclefan's 14.38 is best documented for a stock 6 speed then the difference is 1.1 sec not the 0.9 I stated before.

So I gave up 1.1 sec to have a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty..../ 25 mpg & a COOL Spoiler. Fair trade.

1.1 sec.....what is that .....about 10 car lengths.....ouch.....

whatever..

Old 04-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know his son would be better off with a Z...

Everyone knows the Crossfire is a "old man's" car....

We list our age and we're proud of it.