Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

programming garage door opener ???

Old 05-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default programming garage door opener ???

Are there some garage door openers that you just cant program in to your crossfire opener ??? I have a 2-3 yr old sears garage dooropener that just wont take any thing I try, it just wont work !!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: programing garage door opener ???

I just programmed mine last night, and what if found worked was hold the button in and let it blink for about 3-4 sec, then press the opener, if the light doesnt speed up, let off the door opener and press down again for another 7 or 8 seconds and keep doing this until the time runs out. Worked for me

Old 05-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

I still have to program our Mercedes which has the same opener as we do in our cars. I'll try your way. It took me quite a while to get the one in the Crossfire programmed after dutifully following the instructions in the book and the website time after time. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Forum Regular

Park very close to your garage, go to your garage door opener box/motor unit push the learn button on the motor and now hurry back to your car with ignition on press and hold one of the three buttons untill your door opener motor flashes its light and it should be done, you have to program your door opener for another remote in other words ( your car is a new remote) hope this helps. My car did take the the remote learning and it would not work, but when I programed it as a new replacement remote it worked, so some will work with the remote and others will need to be added to your garage, depending on the style of garage opener.

Last edited by kingkub57; 05-26-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Thanks - wanna know how many pounds I lost doing that exercise
I've parked in the garage, under the opener with the sun roof open so I could hit the learn button, in front of the garage door a few inches, half in, half out and it doesn't take.
I think it must be that our driveway is on a hill up to the garage door. Not sure what happened but I finally got lucky with the Crossfire, not so lucky yet, with the Mercedes.

Last edited by patpur; 05-26-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:40 AM

I have an 8-year-old Sears opener and it took a bit to get it programmed. I went through the process in the manual - a number of times - and when that didn't work I went through the Canadian programming - many times. All I can say is that eventually - it worked!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:39 PM

what kind of answer is that details I need details !!!!!! thanks for all your help but I guess Im just goiing to end up buying another remote !!!! That dam Sears !!!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 02:13 PM

You may have to clear the memory and re-program all remotes. Try holding the learn button down on your g d opener for about 30 seconds. This should clear the old program. Then go ahead and program per instructions for each remote. Hope this does it for you.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Forum Regular

also you may have to clear out any stored in the car you can do this by holding the two outer buttons at the same time untill the green light blinks fast I think fefer to your owners manual fo sure, and yes you may have wiped out the memory for the g/d as well I had to reprogram mine when I added the Challenger

Old 05-26-2010, 03:20 PM

Your garage door opener itself has what they call 'Rolling Codes' if you take the cover off your garage door opener you should see a button somewhere on it labeled 'Reset' or 'Learn' if you press that button after you clear your car of it's codes as well (hold the outside two buttons until it flashes fast) you will have 10 seconds after pressing the 'Learn' button to get in your XF and hold the garage button you want to use and pressing your garage door remote to teach the car.

This will work, but just incase let me know if it doesn't.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

The "rolling code" openers and their "Learn" button can be confusing to program. I tried to program mine with Hope around, just could not do it.

Then, when she was at work one day, I casually pulled the car in, set up a ladder near the opener, left the ignition on and....

Hit the opener's learn button, scurried down the ladder, hit the button in the Crossfire and held it until the garage door opener light blinked (indicating the opener and XF remote had done their "Handshake"). (The light I am talking about is the bulb on the opener that lights up your garage!)

I then released the XF button. THen, the next time I hit the button, the door opener activated - been working ever since.

It's easy, once you figure out that you have a "rolling code" opener, and understand how it works. Not all openers may blink their light to tell you that you have programmed right, but I bet most confirm in this way. HOLD THE XF BUTTON DOWN TILL THE OPENER INDICATES IT HAS "HANDSHAKED" WITH THE XF's REMOTE CONTROL!

What makes this so hard is that the manuals are not clear about how they work OR about the procedure to follow.

Again...

WHen you hit the LEARN button on the garage door opener, it sets the opener to a mode where the car's remote and the opener can handshake without the door going up and down.

Now, once you hit the LEARN button you have 10 to 30 seconds (the time depends on the door opener's design, see your manual - not the manual that came with the car, but the manual that came with the garage door opener) to accomplish programming.

Ok, you have hit the LEARN button. NOW, quickly jump into the car and hit and hold the button you want to use to activate the door. THis button has to be previously unprogrammed. (This means you may have to follow the reset/erase procedure in the XF manual).

WHen you hit the XF button, hold it down until the garage door opener indicates it has communicated with the XF's remote. This is usually indicated by the opener flashing it's lamp or beeping. You are now done.

THE NEXT TIME you hit the XF's remote button, the door should go up or down!

Last edited by pizzaguy; 02-22-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

I guess I should try the Mercedes again. I have the Sears openers too. Believe me I tried every suggestion, Pizza guy did exactly what you did. You don't know how many times I was up and down the ladder etc. One day mine decided to work, my wifes car, so far, not so lucky. With all this talk about this subject I will try again this evening.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:36 PM

Before you try to program your garage door opener you first have to "clear the system". Hold the first and third button (homelink) at the same time until the light blinks fast, that clears the system. Then take the garage door opener (hand held) and hold it next to the buttons, push both buttons at the same time (the hand held and the homelink) until the light flashes. Then you have to push the learning button and your opener (motor) and press the button on the homelink, the light should blink on your opener (motor)... Your done.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink® indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink® buttons.)
  2. Position the end of your hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches (3-8 cm) away from the HomeLink® buttons while keeping the indicator light (dots below House Symbol) in view.
  3. Simultaneously press and hold both the HomeLink® button that you want to train and the hand-held transmitter button. Do not release the buttons until step 4 has been completed.

Note: Some garage door openers may require you to replace step 3 with the “cycling” procedure noted in the “View Canadian Instructions” section.
  4. The HomeLink® indicator light (dots below House Symbol) will flash slowly and then rapidly after HomeLink® successfully receives the frequency signal from the hand-held transmitter. Release both buttons after the indicator light changes from the slow to the rapid flash.
  5. Press and hold the just trained HomeLink® button and observe the indicator light. If the indicator light stays on constantly, programming is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink® button is pressed and released.

NOTE: To program the remaining two HomeLink® buttons, begin with "Programming" step two. Do not repeat step one.

If the indicator light blinks rapidly for two seconds and then turns to a constant light, continue with steps 6-8 to complete the programming of a rolling code equipped device.
  6. At the garage door opener receiver (motor-head unit) in the garage, locate the "learn" or "smart" button. This can usually be found where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the motor-head unit.
  7. Firmly press and release the "learn" or "smart" button. (The name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer.)

NOTE: There are 30 seconds in which to initiate step eight.
  8. Return to the vehicle and firmly press, hold for two seconds and release the programmed HomeLink® button. Repeat the "press/hold/release" sequence a second time, and, depending on the brand of the garage door opener (or other rolling code equipped device), repeat this sequence a third time to complete the programming. HomeLink® should now activate your rolling code equipped device.
From the HomeLink site: HomeLink; Home automation,Wireless control system, universal transceiver, RF control, Home security, smart home, vehicle to home, home automation, remote control lighting and home control

The following 2 users liked this post by magneticred:
Esinclair (12-14-2023), kowaltoboggan (10-17-2021)
Old 05-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

The hardware for these garage door openers vary from country to country and reflect the different cultures.
For instance in some countries you program the opener so that it rings your door bell in a certain manner and the wife of the house, whose always home, scurries out and after bowing to her master opens the garage door. It's much cheaper as it saves getting a motor and track etc and the women do not or dare not complain.
Honestly, would I lie to you?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

That's funny but very true 180, that's how my neighbor across the street does it. Wife puts the door up and down while he pulls the car in/out. Cracks me up everytime I see them.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:28 AM

yea thats what I need a garage door maid !!! When I press the button she opens the door & hands me a beer !!!! Where can I get one of those ???????????

Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ed Mahoney
yea thats what I need a garage door maid !!! When I press the button she opens the door & hands me a beer !!!! Where can I get one of those ???????????
Perhaps, Mail Order Brides, Russian Brides

Old 05-27-2010, 08:59 PM

I did mine last night and I followed the "canadian procedure" but with a slight twist. I had problems with my Subaru working on this system and I talked to homelink and they said that Genie (my garage door opener) uses a pulse method and it is hard to get a signal. I decided to use the keypad (the thing on the outside of the garage (mine is wireless BTW)) and I used it for the "learn from remote" and it worked flawless because the keypad will put out a signal as long as your finger is on the button where the small openers are the pulse type. Once I learned how to do the Subaru a month ago (took 2 hours to get it right and learn from my mistakes) the XF was programed in less then 5 minutes.

Food for thought....

Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 AM

Finally got mine to sync up last night. My garage door opener is 7 years old with the rolling code thing. Once I found the red button on the opener it was a piec e of cake.

Quick Reply: programming garage door opener ???