Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.
View Poll Results: Should I buy a crossfire for a first car
Should I buy
42.11%
Should I not buy
57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Should I buy

Old 07-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy

I am 15 years old i have 2600 dollars saved up and im going to buy my first car. My parents are going to pay the rest of course and I found a blk Xfire 2004 for 8000 with 82xxx miles. It has had 2 owners and a clean carfax and yes it has been checked by a mechanic. If anyone is selling or seen a crossfire around 8000 please contact me

Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Should I buy

Don't mean to throw cold water on your dreams, however, in most States you can't legally purchase a vehicle at 15. I'll assume that the folks are in agreement with this purchase and will buy the car with your money, and sign the note, you did say you're looking at $8000 and only have $2600.

Have you checked the insurance rates on this car? Beng 15 with a car like the Crossfire it should be expensive, then there's the maintenance costs; ie. oil changes (store bought) can run in excess of $100, tires can cost in excess of $700 and don't get me started on A/C units. You did say 80K + miles on this car, didn't you?

When my step-son went through this, he had neglected to consider the hidden costs to owning a car, insurance, gas, oil, tires, batteries and so on. He tried to sell me on "look it's only $260 per month" Well it's a whole lot more, I knew that and he has learned it.

I do wish you good luck in achieving your goal. Keep us posted to your progress.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the above, son. What makes more sense is to be a mechanically sound but big as a tank either car or pickup for your first one. the lack of experience I can almost guarantee will cause dents and curbs to be run into, not to mention all the other obstacles and hazards out there. which is NOT to say you'll be a bad driver at all, just an inexperienced one and stuff happens out there really fast.

The insurance, maintenance, and all the other stuff is really alot of burden for a 16 yo, and at this point you don't need that, you need wheels and freedom, and in my opinion the Cross really doesn't fit that bill right now. Best of luck!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:22 PM

While $8k is a decent price for a Crossfire, these cars aren't exactly cheap to run or own, especially with mileage like that. For a kid your age, insurance will likely be over $1500-2000/year. You're better off getting a cheap beater to drive around, at least until you're out of high school.

That's just my $0.02.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first high School car was a 69 z28 302 alum block ,, look around a little before settling on this one car you may find another with a little less miles for the same money .... ,, Two Important things BE SAFE RESPECT THE POWER OF THE CAR AND 2ND ENJOY THE RIDE.

Howard...

Old 07-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hcarter
My first high School car was a 69 z28 302 alum block ,, look around a little before settling on this one car you may find another with a little less miles for the same money .... ,, Two Important things BE SAFE RESPECT THE POWER OF THE CAR AND 2ND ENJOY THE RIDE.

Howard...
I second what Carter said, the car's safe and at that price is a perfect car for a 16 y/o. A friend of mine has had an SRT 6 since he was 16 and although he's curbed one wheel it still looks pretty damn nice. Just be careful and have fun.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hcarter
My first high School car was a 69 z28 302 alum block
Howard...

1969 Aluminum block 302 Z-28??

Old 07-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by vpats
Don't mean to throw cold water on your dreams, however, in most States you can't legally purchase a vehicle at 15. I'll assume that the folks are in agreement with this purchase and will buy the car with your money, and sign the note, you did say you're looking at $8000 and only have $2600.

Have you checked the insurance rates on this car? Beng 15 with a car like the Crossfire it should be expensive, then there's the maintenance costs; ie. oil changes (store bought) can run in excess of $100, tires can cost in excess of $700 and don't get me started on A/C units. You did say 80K + miles on this car, didn't you?

When my step-son went through this, he had neglected to consider the hidden costs to owning a car, insurance, gas, oil, tires, batteries and so on. He tried to sell me on "look it's only $260 per month" Well it's a whole lot more, I knew that and he has learned it.

I do wish you good luck in achieving your goal. Keep us posted to your progress.
I'm going to go with this post. Just maintenance alone is too much for a 15/16 year-old or his parents. I got my XF when I was 18 and the lowest I could get the insurance to was $2800/year. This is with a good driving record, no tickets, multi-line discounts, multi-car discounts, etc. $2800 a year. That's basically what you have saved up to this point in one year. That's not something that everyday people just throw around.

Look, I know why you would really want one of these cars, but truth be told, it's not a good idea. You need something that gets better gas mileage, something you can haul your friends around in, something cheaper to fix if something goes wrong. The oil changes themselves will cost $140 each at the dealer, around $80-100 if you do it yourself. I know this car may woo girls your age (trust me, we've ALL been there), but I think they'll be more impressed when you can actually drive them somewhere cause you have money for gas, or because you have money for a ticket to a movie or to take her out to dinner. Trust me, this car would be good for you when you're a little older, not as a first car.

If you do buy this car, be prepared for the day you'll have to sell it. It's too much for someone your age. It's almost too much for someone my age.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 PM

The insurance is going to be in my moms name. We have 78 ford F-150 that I'll be paying insurance for and yes I know thats illegal.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 PM

The insurance is going to be in my moms name. We have 78 ford F-150 that I'll be paying insurance for and yes I know thats illegal.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 16XF
There's nothing illegal about it, bud. My first car was in my mom's name and so was the insurance. I still had to be insured under her policy. The way the law goes is that any licensed driver in the household has to be insured, and since your underage, you're insured under your parents. And trust me, a '78 Ford won't compare to the insurance rates on this car.

We're not trying to keep you from buying this car for any other reason than we know what kind of money this car requires to be taken care of. The molding around the windshield on a base coupe costs $2300 by itself. Tires will run at least $800 to BUY, another $100 to install, and trust me, you'll go through a set in a year/year and a half. Unless you or your parents are richer than any kid I knew in high school (besides the mafia kids), it's not really an affordable asset at your age.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:06 PM

Proclaiming illegal activities on the net in a public forum is not the best way to hide them. Just take a second and think. You are registered on the beater truck and you get in an accident, the insurance company starts investigating. Turns out you are the primary driver of the car and not the truck, that you lied about, easy to determine simply based on what you usually drive to school, and what the mileage is being racked up on.

My sister is a lawyer for an INS company, and trust me when I say, they will spend $10,000 in lawyers to make sure your $8,000 illegal claim does not get paid.

My 0.02

Old 07-13-2010, 04:14 PM

I am 15 years old i have 2600 dollars saved up and im going to buy my first car. My parents are going to pay the rest of course and I found a blk Xfire 2004 for 8000 with 82xxx miles. It has had 2 owners and a clean carfax and yes it has been checked by a mechanic. If anyone is selling or seen a crossfire around 8000 please contact me
Ok, you have $2600, so buy a car for that amount of money, and look for something more economical to operate, a Crossfire with high milage will put you in the poorhouse before you are 20. If you get one speeding ticket, and you will in this car, your insurance will drop you.
Take some advice from some older dudes, who have been their, pass on the Crossfire.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:18 PM

The insuranse is going to be 70 a month but how much is it going to cost to maintain a month if it has 70,xxx miles on it

Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 PM

The insuranse is going to be 70 a month but how much is it going to cost to maintain a month if it has 70,xxx miles on it
I dont know what kind of insurance you are getting for only $70.00 a month, Im 71 and I know my full coverage is more than that, I doubt if a 16 year old can get car insurance less than a adult.
My 2cents

Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Big Al
I dont know what kind of insurance you are getting for only $70.00 a month, Im 71 and I know my full coverage is more than that, I doubt if a 16 year old can get car insurance less than a adult.
My 2cents
Our family has never had a ticket and we all had had programs that lower insurance and its in my moms name.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al
Ok, you have $2600, so buy a car for that amount of money, and look for something more economical to operate, a Crossfire with high milage will put you in the poorhouse before you are 20. If you get one speeding ticket, and you will in this car, your insurance will drop you.
Take some advice from some older dudes, who have been their, pass on the Crossfire.
Big Al my insurance is $58 dollars a month for Full Coverage on my SRT and I'm only 25.

Guys go easy on the kid, he's a new young member who's just asking questions. Answer the questions and quit judging him by his age.

Pending what tire are on the car you may have to replace them every year or you may have to replace them every 2 - 3. Oil changes get done every 7,000 miles and cost anywhere from $100 to $150 at the dealer. If you watch for a sale you can pick up your oil for $5 a quart and save yourself a lot of money. Last oil change cost me $55, of course I did it myself and only left a little bit of oil in Steve's driveway.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
1969 Aluminum block 302 Z-28??
Yes sir and I wish I had kept it ,,I traded it for a 1967 olds 442 red on red nice car but no hind site in those days

now that I think about it maybe just the heads or intake was alum ,,,its been 40 years and my memory aint what it used to be but I would still like to have it in my garage ,,,

Last edited by hcarter; 07-13-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
Big Al my insurance is $58 dollars a month for Full Coverage on my SRT and I'm only 25.

Guys go easy on the kid, he's a new young member who's just asking questions. Answer the questions and quit judging him by his age.

Pending what tire are on the car you may have to replace them every year or you may have to replace them every 2 - 3. Oil changes get done every 7,000 miles and cost anywhere from $100 to $150 at the dealer. If you watch for a sale you can pick up your oil for $5 a quart and save yourself a lot of money. Last oil change cost me $55, of course I did it myself and only left a little bit of oil in Steve's driveway.
Thanks Man

Old 07-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Forum Regular

Our family has never had a ticket and we all had had programs that lower insurance and its in my moms name.
I've never heard of insurance rates on a car that low. Never. Unless you had a family member that was the CEO or a board member of a big insurance company. Big Al had the right idea. Insurance will surely look into all of that when you get into an accident or get a ticket. Then your whole family is bound to get dropped AND face charges of insurance fraud. Insurance costs a lot for this car. There's no way you can get around that, legally.

And to answer your previous question about costs for maintenance, a good amount. As solid as the XF is, all cars of higher mileage are going to need something fixed, and without a warranty (which this car you're talking about is without) it's going to cost you much more than you can afford.

Last edited by shapeshifter309; 07-13-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I buy