Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.
View Poll Results: Should I buy a crossfire for a first car
Should I buy
42.11%
Should I not buy
57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Should I buy

Old 07-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Should I buy

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
So it takes you 5 posts to make your point that he shouldn't purchase the car because he's 15? Really I'm tired of seeing people jump on other forum members because they're young. I don't find Mercedes parts all that more expensive than american parts and I definitely don't find them more expensive than Japanese parts. I'm sorry if it seems Like I'm flaming you but beating on a new member that doesn't deserve it.
In no way was I beating on him. I was answering questions and stating my opinion. I'm rather young myself, and not much older than him. I was in his shoes rather recently in my life. My 16-year-old self would be even more fanatical and hard-set on getting this car than he is. Now, I know it wouldn't have been a good idea or even possible. I got mine two years ago, and yes, two years made a huge difference.

Also, I AM a young owner and I've never had a problem of someone singling me out for being young. It's all about how old you act.

Regardless of how many "posts it takes" me to get something across, agitating another member is not needed. I'm leaving this conversation at that. Just respect others' opinions.

Last edited by shapeshifter309; 07-13-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by shapeshifter309
In no way was I beating on him. I was answering questions and stating my opinion. I'm rather young myself, and not much older than him. I was in his shoes rather recently in my life. My 16-year-old self would be even more fanatical and hard-set on getting this car than he is. Now, I know it wouldn't have been a good idea or even possible. I got mine two years ago, and yes, two years made a huge difference.

Also, I AM a young owner and I've never had a problem of someone singling me out for being young. It's all about how old you act.

Regardless of how many "posts it takes" me to get something across, agitating another member is not needed. I'm leaving this conversation at that. Just respect others' opinions.
2 years makes a huge difference. Yes that was sarcasm.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 16XF
2 years makes a huge difference. Yes that was sarcasm.
Go ahead. Buy it then. 2 years can make plenty of difference, especially at a young age. It did in my life and you can't tell me otherwise. You have to find out for yourself what two years will bring for you. So go ahead, go buy it. Those that have wanted to tell you not to have said their part, those who supported to you buying it have said theirs. Make your decision.

Last edited by shapeshifter309; 07-14-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:26 AM

congrats on 0ing on a xfire
i was looking for one for 3 months and then found the right one

anyways i am sure u can get a better deal than this
i know someone who sold her xfire 05 model 30k miles for 9k$
so u decide

Old 07-14-2010, 12:33 AM

Thank you to everyone and my decision is that I am buying a crossfire but not this one I am going to look for a better deal

Old 07-14-2010, 12:39 AM

Well bud, I don't know you, so I can't say whether this is a good car for you or not. I can say that for some, it would be a great 1st car if it was covered with a warranty. The tires and parts if there is a problem are the only real drawbacks to this car IMO. For some however, it would be a death trap. For example, I have a nephew I adopted and I would put him in my Crossfire srt-6 or RoadRunner(440) when he gets his license next month. He however wants to drive the Scion XB because he can get more people in it and it is easier to put his books into. LOL My natural son however, would have to change a WHOLE LOT before I would put him in anything with rear wheel drive or power of any kind. I am not saying this because he would drive it crazy, it is just because he was raised differently because of divorce and doesn't truly understand the mechanics of a car. Both are good enough kids to make the right choices(95% of the time), BUT all rear wheel drive cars, even without much power, can get scarey when rain first starts to fall, black ice, etc. With that said, I am sure your parents are a better judge of what you are capable of driving than we are. If they are OK with helping with the car, insurance, maint, etc and trust you with that kind of responsibility, then go for it. The only advise I would have, is make sure THEY know all that you know about the car. Make sure they know it is more than capable of 150 mph, it is rear wheel drive and tires are expensive on this car. With that said, don't talk them out of it, if you want the car. Barring maintenance expense and the speed potential however, this truly is a very safe car when snow is not on the ground. It will out maneuver, accelerate and stop the majority of cars out there and very few that can beat the car in one of those categories, can do it in 2. Plus it is a Mercedes and has air bags etc. So, let your parents help you make this choice. Tell them the pitfalls and positives you have heard here and you guys decide. Just remember that any small rear wheel drive vehicle can be a bear in snow, and if your car actually recommends them.... It is not the best snow bunny around, but it will work in a pinch. JMO

BTW, Where in the world are all you guys buying your insurance from? Wherever it is, change it! LOL I have Farm Bureau and pay 135.00 a month for a Brand new Dodge Journey, a newer Scion XB and my SRT-6. All full coverage with 500.00 deductible. My wife has had 3 wrecks in 15 years. I have had none, but a few tickets. The Journey costs more than the X-fire and the Scion XB is about the same...

Last edited by HellFire; 07-14-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:23 AM

Thank you to everyone and my decision is that I am buying a crossfire but not this one I am going to look for a better deal
i almost bought a xfire 03 model 37k miles and decent condition for 11.5 but then everyone said i can get a better deal and within a week i saw the car which i bought eventually
just hang in there and be patient

i got my xfire last month on 10th
so i understand what u r gng through

Old 07-14-2010, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by mayanknyu
i almost bought a xfire 03 model 37k miles and decent condition for 11.5 but then everyone said i can get a better deal and within a week i saw the car which i bought eventually
just hang in there and be patient

i got my xfire last month on 10th
so i understand what u r gng through
Didnt know they made 2003 models lol But if you see anything under 8000 please contact me

Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 AM

Didnt know they made 2003 models lol But if you see anything under 8000 please contact me
check craigslist and set up an alert on autotrader/edmonds used cars

thats what i did
all the best dude
u wont regret buying a xfire

Old 07-14-2010, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by mayanknyu
check craigslist and set up an alert on autotrader/edmonds used cars

thats what i did
all the best dude
u wont regret buying a xfire
Is Copart.com good

Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 AM

Is Copart.com good
http://images.copart.com/website/dat...6378420_4X.JPG
http://images.copart.com/website/dat...6378420_AX.JPG
http://images.copart.com/website/dat...6378420_9X.JPG
http://images.copart.com/website/dat...6378420_1X.JPG

Does this look like a good Cf should I buy it if i get it under 6k it is 2005 with 68,xxx mi

Old 07-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cars are totaled!!!!! Copart is a salvage company. We have just told you that these cars cost big money to fix. Some body panels are on back-order. So to answer the question---NO---not a deal!

Also, they did not make an 03 Crossfire. Some have a production date in 2003, but they are model year 2004.

As for "deals", as you will learn is life, they are a matter of opinion. I do not think that ANY salvage car is a deal. To many electrical systems, unibody problems, etc to consider. Most if not all banks will not fiance them. Salvage cars will ALWAYS have a branded title. I have sold over 3000 cars in my life---six Crossfires in the last three years---and own a SRT, and I can tell you to BEWARE if the price is too low. Everything does not get reported to Carfax---at ALL.

The 2006 that was bought with 23k with a $1000 of new tires sounds funny to me and I am a professional buyer. First I question the "full service"---at 23k that's an oil change by the book. By time, I would recommend more service, but NOT before you sell a car. So my question is why did the seller do the service (which is not cheap) then sell the car so low. I am not saying it was not done or that it's not a good car. I am saying that I have questions---This car sold for under $6000 if you back out the tires and other add ons---TOO cheap. Just look at the list I gave you and check Autotrader, com and find just one NEAR that price---They are not there, so I have questions.

Everyone has told you about the maintenance and tires, and warned you about the insurance (the way that you are going to handle that is dangerous), but they have not talked about wrecks. This car is totaled quickly; that's why Copart has them. If it is not totaled, many parts can not be found quickly---so think about that. You could be without your car for months and months. Just read on here---it happens.

As for 2 years making a difference---it does. You are 15, two years is over 13% of your life. Considering that no one remembers anything before 4 or 5 years of age then it's almost 20% of memorable life. Believe it or not---it is a BIG difference. Right now, you have very little driving experience; in two years you will have almost a 1000 hours behind the wheel---BIG difference. Do you really think that 1000 hours of driving will not help? I know it will and so do the insurance companies that is why your insurance will be cheaper the older you get, as long as, you have a good record.

My manager when I was your age had a sign in his office that said "Hire a teenager---they know it all." That sign made me mad at the time, but it is true. I am not getting own you for your age---not at all, but to say that 13% of your life does not make a difference, and 1000 hours of driving does not count really shows YOUR AGE.

With all that said---Age is not the largest factor. Your maturity is---Hellfire said it well!!!! With the way that you are handling the insurance makes me question this---yours, as well as, your parents. If you crash, and you will, you may not be covered. Like it was said, all your insurance company needs to do is ask at school what car that you drive. What if that crash caused injuries to others---those people will sue---and an insurance company will not pay $100,000's without asking questions. If that happens, your parents may be held responsible personally---VERY dangerous and not very responsible---Just ask an agent and a lawyer.

I will tell you a true story. My friend for 30 years was having financial trouble like many in this economy. He son was turning 16, and he could not buy him a car, so he let the son drive his $40,000 Lincoln. He did not add him to the policy to "save" money because they have the SAME name---one is a JR and the other a III. On a police stop that would work, but the boy had a bad wreck---people were hurt and hurt badly. The injured sued and the insurance denied the claim. The father is losing everything---he has a totaled car that still has payments and a case that he can not win.

Now, you will be on the policy---that is different to a point; the point is if you lie on your status the insurance company will not pay. Insurance companies have TWO GOALS---take in the MOST they can and pay as LITTLE as they can. If you lie, they can and will deny the claim---they are not dumb---they have investigators and lawyers. If you paid for 78 truck coverage and drove an 04 Crossfire and did not tell them and PAY them---they will not pay claims.
Summary: if you do not PAY the right amount, the insurance company will not pay the right amount---FAIR IS FAIR.
BOTTOM LINE: If you can not afford insurance as primary driver, then you can not afford the Crossfire.

I want to make clear that I am not getting on you for your age. I am getting on you for trying to cut a corner that is not WORTH cutting. It may sound like you are "saving money"; it did to my friend, but if you NEED the coverage---you WILL WISH that you paid the correct amount. If you can AFFORD everything ( ins, tires, etc.) then go for it. My first car was the worst a parent could buy---69 Ford Econoline Van AKA "party wagon", so my friend, I am talking from experience not from some "high horse."

Good luck and think everything through.

Last edited by JimmyJames; 07-14-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have reservations about this purchase, of course for the illegal reason I mentioned above, but more so because after people take time out of their days to write articulate, well thought out responses to your 'question' (even though your mind was already made up) the only thing you care about is 'where can I get an XF for $6,000'. I would listen to Shapeshifter.

Nick, I am always one to not call out someone for age, but at the same time, it is the way you carry yourself. Shapeshifter took a lot of time to forumate a response to a querry and someone else posted that they bought an XF super cheap, he immediately commented on the cheap XF, and said little about a well thought out response.

I am tired of people coming in asking for advice, and when they get an overwhelming response in one direction, they choose to go the other.

Good luck in your purchase. I do not know you, personally, but from what I have read, I say do not buy it, and it has NOTHING to do with the fact that you are 16, it has to do with the fact that you act like a 16 year old.

I had a BMW I bought when I was 16, loved that car. I was a gearhead, did all the work myself and poured every cent I had into that car. I totalled it (someone else's fault) and lost my a$$. I speak from experience.