Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Got into an accident and looking for some suggestions.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got into an accident and looking for some suggestions.

This is pretty open ended and doesnt need to be long. I was in an accident yesterday where I was rear-ended by a van and pushed up to the car in front of me. As a result my exhaust is pushed under the car and kinked. My rear bumper and front bumper now will also have to be replaced. As for underbody damage such as exhaust manifolds and such... it's still unclear until I get it to the shop tomorrow.From looking undert the car, I can see the brackets in the front coming off the block are bent. I will have the option to have insurance cut me a check and then take it to the bodyshop at my convenience to have repairs made. The idea being vs. them paying 900-1500 for the entire oem exhaust system that will have to be replaced, I will make an after market purchase and then have that installed. I think I will save money plus be able to make a few wanted upgrades to the car. Same being said for the front bumper; buying an srt-6 bumper and have them paint and put that on. Any more suggestions or pros/cons you would think of. Thanks guys.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Default Re: Got into an accident and looking for some suggestions.

The car aint totalled out?.......

Old 08-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

you may find that they will total it because they can not get a front bumper if they do stall and take what you can off the car ant take the 14000 to 17000 and go get a srt6. jim

Old 08-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by mrwhit08
This is pretty open ended and doesnt need to be long. I was in an accident yesterday where I was rear-ended by a van and pushed up to the car in front of me.
A very similar thing happened to Deb Walker... Her car was totaled. She fought the insurance company and now has a new car, new battery, new tires and even flew up to Michigan and drove back... all paid for by the offender's insurance. (Not to mention the medical costs the insurance will end up paying.)

Fight the bastards - sue them if needed.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:43 PM

Well it happened yesterday. I won't know until Monday or Tuesday after the assessment. The air bag did not deploy and it looks fixable. That's only a first impression however not having seen underneath.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Administrator

If the garage / body shop lists both bumpers as bad, frame damage, exhaust and other damage - it's gonna run into REAL money.

I think YOU are getting another car out of this.

Accidents happen, but this is why we have insurance - they are the bastards I refer to.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:08 AM

And make sure YOU are all right. If anything hurts, be sure to get it checked out, no matter how minor. My little bit of wrist pain turned out to be a snapped & also a torn ligament that needed surgery, which may or may not hold. Cast comes off Thursday. Listen to these guys. Glad I did. Good luck with the xf, too.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by mrwhit08
Well it happened yesterday. I won't know until Monday or Tuesday after the assessment.
Keep us posted!

Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. That is why I constantly tell my kids to leave a car length between them and the car in front at a light. You may lose your rear end, but it may save your hood. I was heading over the Bluewater Bridge (Port Huron->Sarnia) three weeks ago in heavy traffic and left about 20' between myself the the semi in front. I was starting to crap as he rolled back about 10' before he heard my horn and re-applied the brakes. If I was up tight, he never would have seen me or even noticed the bump as he crushed my A6. US drivers are careless idiots.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Goldwing
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. That is why I constantly tell my kids to leave a car length between them and the car in front at a light. ... US drivers are careless idiots.
Agreed. And stopping a bit back from an intersection can save your a$$ as well. Happened to me, got rear ended, knocked forward about 5 feet. Had I been a bit farther up, the 40mph cross traffic would have probably banged me in the driver's door.

You can't stop TOO far back or you wont "trigger" the light... but still.

Another thing... am I the ONLY person in the USA who, when the light turns green, LOOKS BOTH WAYS BEFORE PROCEEDING, checking for a last-second light runner? I get honked at all the time, but won't forget the lady who got KILLED in front of my eyes over 10 years ago when she took off when the light turned green only to be nailed by a concrete mixer truck. (Her neck was 3 feet long after the impact.)

Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

You are not the only one checks. I've been riding motorcycles (can you guess from my handle) for 35+ years and I've seen more than a few lights run well after they turned red. You can usually tell when someone is not going to stop by the speed. That's why I convinced my son to buy a XF instead of the pocket rocket he wanted. I figured he had a better chance to live in a well-designed car. I'm also a proponent of looking over my shoulder before changing lanes on the highway -- I've been surprised by cars and cycles in my blind spots too many times to completely depend upon the three mirrors.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Another thing... am I the ONLY person in the USA who, when the light turns green, LOOKS BOTH WAYS BEFORE PROCEEDING, checking for a last-second light runner?
nope.. i got tboned by a guy that blew a red light doing like 30-50 over the speedlimit(so im told) and the speed limit was 30..60-80 mph down a side street. i look both ways even if im going through a solid green light =/

Old 08-04-2010, 07:40 PM

Actually you ARE!
The next to the last got run over in an intersection

Last edited by Montana Crossfire; 08-04-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Agreed. ............ but won't forget the lady who got KILLED in front of my eyes over 10 years ago when she took off when the light turned green only to be nailed by a concrete mixer truck. (Her neck was 3 feet long after the impact.)
I think that's a bit of a stretch pizzaman.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing... am I the ONLY person in the USA who, when the light turns green, LOOKS BOTH WAYS BEFORE PROCEEDING, checking for a last-second light runner?
Nope. You're not the only one. I do it. I think a lot of motorcyclists do it too.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 PM

Ok back on topic lol. So the muffler and pipe assembly are on national back order per the body shop. I called Chrysler parts direct to verify and that's the case. So... I can take the $934+labor of installing that and take it to an exhaust shop to get it finished up. Question mark or do I? I've got to call INS tomorrow and see what the options are per oem requirements on repairing my car they told me last time. I'll place that call tomorrow. So If I can still get it fixed, custom from the cat back, to dual out flowmaster welded to original tips to look stock? Or ansa to acquire the same look as oem?

Or tell 'em to wait for part see if hey will total it on not being able to get it and make an upgrade? :-) lol

Old 08-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

here is a srt6 oem factory exhaust for $125.00 if it does not show up go to e bay motors and put in crossfire oem exhaust have them pay u 900.00 and you buy this one and pocket the rest. jim

CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE SRT6 OEM CATBACK EXHAUST GOOD SHAPE: eBay Motors (item 380255421203 end time Sep-28-10 14:53:31 PDT)

Old 09-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the 2 second rule. Only a fool breaks the two second rule. As the car in front passes a fixed object, say the quote which takes two seconds and in this time you shouldn't pass the fixed object. This will ensure you leave a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front.

You won't get to your destination any quicker by tail gaiting.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about that one. We were taught in driver's ed - a car length for every 10 miles an hour you are traveling. So if you are doing 40mph you should be 4 car lengths back from the car in front of you. Works for me.

mr. whit hope you get things worked out.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Got into an accident and looking for some suggestions.

From looking undert the car, I can see the brackets in the front coming off the block are bent.

THat is the definition of Toast if I have ever heard it. You need to search for another one.

Woody

Quick Reply: Got into an accident and looking for some suggestions.