Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Well... finally got my rotors in.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well... finally got my rotors in.

Ordered them from R1concepts. Took a little over a week to get here. Not sure what I think of them. I paid for the slotted premium replacements, apparently these are coated to prevent corrosion.

Here's some pictures of them: Rotors pictures by shapeshifter309 - Photobucket

As you can see, the coating on the rear rotors is rubbed or scratched off in some places. All of them are dirty in some way and greasy. Not sure what I think about this.

Also, does anyone know how much the original rotors weigh? These were 53lbs total.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Well... finally got my rotors in.

They look pretty good.... I am sure they are coated to protect the untreated surface from rusting till they get to the customer... a good brake cleaner should take care of that... the black coating having chips/wear spots on brand new rotors would tick me off a little.... they should be packed so that dosent happen....

Once you de-grease them they should work wonderfully....

Old 10-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeR
They look pretty good.... I am sure they are coated to protect the untreated surface from rusting till they get to the customer... a good brake cleaner should take care of that... the black coating having chips/wear spots on brand new rotors would tick me off a little.... they should be packed so that dosent happen....

The rotors were actually starting to come through 2 boxes, but I think they probably couldn't pack it much better than they did. Bubble wrap might of helped a little.

They'll for sure be cleaned up before being put on. I can't imagine the pads working well with all the grease covering it, or for it being good for braking at all.

Still curious if anyone knows how much the stock rotors weigh.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shapeshifter309
The rotors were actually starting to come through 2 boxes, but I think they probably couldn't pack it much better than they did. Bubble wrap might of helped a little.

They'll for sure be cleaned up before being put on. I can't imagine the pads working well with all the grease covering it, or for it being good for braking at all.

Still curious if anyone knows how much the stock rotors weigh.
Stock rotor = alot lbs. I don't remember exactly but my rears where rather heavy for my SRT

Old 10-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
Stock rotor = alot lbs. I don't remember exactly but my rears where rather heavy for my SRT
The SRT's have slightly larger rotors than the NA though, from what I understand. The components aren't swap-able. I think the SRT has 330mm up front while the NA has 300mm (diameter); I have no clue about the rears- probably bigger too. Wouldn't make THAT much of a difference in weight, but these new rotors I got are pretty freakin' heavy too. I just want to figure out how much weight I'm adding or subtracting from the car. Makes it harder to stop when you got a heavier rotor to clamp down on, although heavier usually means it was made with a thicker or more durable material, which would help with longevity.

On a slightly related topic, I have one more package coming in from NeedsWings that contains a front rim and SS brake lines. I'll probably be happy with my purchase when it gets here, I'm just wondering if Fedex is planning on taking it on any more side trips.

Here's the map of where they've taken it so far: US map - Google Maps

Mind you it's going to Peoria, IL- 170 miles south of Chicago down I-55/I-74. For some reason, Fedex decided it was a good idea to take it 250 miles THE OTHER WAY, almost to Pennsylvania, then 415 miles back the other direction to Chicago. I'm sure there's some "special" reason why, but how (logistically speaking) does this make any sense? Maybe they forgot to take it off the truck and it ended up going the wrong way? Either way, I find it quite humorous, although I'll be certain to never ship anything Fedex. Not blaming Rob (Needswings) at all for this, just Fedex. Christ, they're dumb.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Forum Regular

LOL. I remember when there was no Fedex. It was USPS. Like it or not. Same with Ma Bell. Man I'm git'n old!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

They look just like they should. They come coated so they don't rust while waiting to be bought. Did they come with instructions? Mine did and they say to wash them with soap and water before installing them on the car. I have the stock weights somewhere but I imagine the R1's weigh the same as the stock rotors.

Les

Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeR
They look pretty good.... I am sure they are coated to protect the untreated surface from rusting till they get to the customer... a good brake cleaner should take care of that... the black coating having chips/wear spots on brand fine-just more work.

.new rotors would tick me off a little.... they should be packed so that dosent happen....

I feel the same. Mine arrived exactly the same way. They don't pack them expecting them to be mounted on a show car. Unfortunately. I re-sprayed the hubs on mine silver to match the hubs, spacers and wheel. I would use a good de-greaser and skip the dish soap. But, that's just me..if you don't, the coating (grease) will ruin the pads. Fast.

BTW- if you really want to know, I can weigh my OEM N/A rotors in the morning. I have them at my lab. Do you really want me to?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:07 PM

Mine came the same way. After breaking them in along with my pads they have performed very well.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mind you it's going to Peoria, IL- 170 miles south of Chicago down I-55/I-74. For some reason, Fedex decided it was a good idea to take it 250 miles THE OTHER WAY, almost to Pennsylvania, then 415 miles back the other direction to Chicago. I'm sure there's some "special" reason why, but how (logistically speaking) does this make any sense? Maybe they forgot to take it off the truck and it ended up going the wrong way? Either way, I find it quite humorous, although I'll be certain to never ship anything Fedex. Not blaming Rob (Needswings) at all for this, just Fedex. Christ, they're dumb.
Everything from FedEx goes in to once facility, sorted, then out from there. Logistically, it's the best way to do it. Otherwise, you'd have to send multiple planes to one location.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by velociabstract
They look just like they should. They come coated so they don't rust while waiting to be bought. Did they come with instructions? Mine did and they say to wash them with soap and water before installing them on the car. I have the stock weights somewhere but I imagine the R1's weigh the same as the stock rotors.

Les
I didn't see any instructions. I'm actually going to pay someone to do the entire brake job, since I have no idea what I'm doing. Finding a reputable shop in this town that will do them for a good price is hard to do though. The only import shop that I found looks amazing, but they quoted me at $531 for the entire job. Mercedes dealer quoted me at $430. I'm going to see what the Chrysler dealer quotes me and what my shop back home will quote me at. If it's cheaper to drive 170 miles back up to Chicago, I'll do it.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:29 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I feel the same. Mine arrived exactly the same way. They don't pack them expecting them to be mounted on a show car. Unfortunately. I re-sprayed the hubs on mine silver to match the hubs, spacers and wheel. I would use a good de-greaser and skip the dish soap. But, that's just me..if you don't, the coating (grease) will ruin the pads. Fast.

BTW- if you really want to know, I can weigh my OEM N/A rotors in the morning. I have them at my lab. Do you really want me to?
Since I won't be showing off the hubs anytime soon anyways, I'm probably good. I just didn't know if that was the "E-coating" that was scratched off and if it would corrode just like a normal, unprotected one now. These are going with the stock wheels, so I doubt you could see the hubs easily anyways.

Like I mentioned (obviously you didn't see it because I just posted it though), I'm gonna have a shop do the entire job just in case I would break something. I don't really have the equipment to do it either, so I doubt it would be a good idea. They probably already know to, but I'll tell whoever I take it to to wash the rotors with degreaser before mounting them.

And if you REALLY want to weigh them, feel free. It won't kill me if you don't, but myself along with anyone else that would want to know would sure appreciate it if you did. No pressure though. Like I said, I won't die if I don't know. Just curious.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:30 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Never_satisfied
Mine came the same way. After breaking them in along with my pads they have performed very well.
What pads did you buy?

I went with Akebono Euro ceramics from tirerack. Hopefully they'll be ok for a few autocrosses a year.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Joliet John
Everything from FedEx goes in to once facility, sorted, then out from there. Logistically, it's the best way to do it. Otherwise, you'd have to send multiple planes to one location.
It was FedEx ground. I figured the only real explanation they could give is that it might have been put on a train headed for a sort facility in Petersburg with many other packages. What I don't understand is why wouldn't this hypothetical train, or even if it was a truck, stop in Toledo, a major city in Ohio? It went right past it.

USPS and UPS have always taken the shortest route (sort facilities taken into consideration). If I get a package from Indiana, it might go through Chicago first even though it could hypothetically just go straight across the state line to the middle of Illinois, but there's a huge sort facility in Chicago where most of their packages would get sent out to their different destination cities, and in addition Chicago isn't really the opposite way from the destination, it's just a slight detour. This package, on the other hand, went the complete opposite way on the same highway, then came back down that same highway to Chicago.

Again, they may have some magical explanation, but I find it comical that it would go 250 miles the other way, passing through a major city, to come back down the same road. But hey, I can't complain cause it's still getting here on time.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:28 AM

I am running the same rotors on my Daytona Ram and on my Miata. Other than being noisy when applying brakes they seam to be alright. one thing I have learned, I will not be using any more greenstuff brake pads lots of dust and not a real firm feel when hard on the brakes.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 AM

What pads did you buy?

I went with Akebono Euro ceramics from tirerack. Hopefully they'll be ok for a few autocrosses a year.

TnaskiI am running the same rotors on my Daytona Ram and on my Miata. Other than being noisy when applying brakes they seam to be alright. one thing I have learned, I will not be using any more green-stuff brake pads lots of dust and not a real firm feel when hard on the brakes.
I went with the Satisfied's GranSport GS6 from TireRack.com and just got back from the Dragon with nothing but amazement. Great stopping power, No noise (none from the rotors or pads) what so ever and Dust was at a minimum. I am very pleased with both the rotors and pads.

Once the rotor and pads where broke in the rotors stopped rusting up and even stopped better. I found and followed the break in guidelines I found on the forum here and things have been working great. Very pleased with this setup so far!!!

Bring it over to my shop and I will help you get them on there.

Last edited by Never_satisfied; 10-13-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:48 AM

Are these the ones you ordered? Im wanting to upgrade too and thought these from R1concepts where the best $

Brand : R1 Concepts (Eline Slotted) Front Brake Rotors › Description : Slotted Brake Rotors › Sale Price : $ 114.20 (pair) › Retail Price : $ 182.72 › Sku : ES.35058 Qty: 1 2 3 4 5

Rear Brake Rotors › Description : Slotted Brake Rotors › Sale Price : $ 77.60 (pair) › Retail Price : $ 124.16 › Sku : ES.35012

Old 10-13-2010, 06:59 AM

R1 Concepts PREMIUM SERIES BRAKE DISC WITH BLACK E-COATED HUB
2007 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE Front Brake Rotors - Slotted ps.35058
&
2007 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE Rear Brake Rotors - Slotted ps.35012

And The Pads I used:

Satisfied's GranSport GS6-Pads
Satisfied GranSport 6 Pads

Last edited by Never_satisfied; 10-13-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I get 8 lbs. each for the fronts and 18 lbs. each for the rear. OEM N/A.

Hope this helps.

52 lbs. total.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by green-ghost
Are these the ones you ordered? Im wanting to upgrade too and thought these from R1concepts where the best $

Brand : R1 Concepts (Eline Slotted) Front Brake Rotors › Description : Slotted Brake Rotors › Sale Price : $ 114.20 (pair) › Retail Price : $ 182.72 › Sku : ES.35058 Qty: 1 2 3 4 5

Rear Brake Rotors › Description : Slotted Brake Rotors › Sale Price : $ 77.60 (pair) › Retail Price : $ 124.16 › Sku : ES.35012

No, close. I bought the ones Never Satisfied posted just below your post.

Quick Reply: Well... finally got my rotors in.