Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Ever been pulled over for doing the speed limit?

Old 11-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Ever been pulled over for doing the speed limit?

OK, Cody....having a young Codey of my own, and being a cop, and being in my 50's qualifies me to give you a little advise, as well as others. Cops come in all sizes, and as many mind sets. Some are ******, and enjoy it, some just do their job, while others go out of their way to help. I was never Chief, or the Town Marshall, but I know and am personal friends to a lot of them around here. I once held the rank of Captain locally, but just an old part-time special deputy with the county now, in my 31st year of doing the cop thing. What you really need to do, is stop by your local police department and have a one on one with the chief. Cops hear a lot things in their line of duty. Your neighbors, including him, see a lot more than you think. I for one, live on a corner where no one stops at the stop signs. I have two kids in my neighborhood who push it all the time. I have yet to do anything as they are neighbors, but when the day comes, I have plenty to talk to them about. So, if you are innocent of all these things, have a talk with the chief. He will appreciate the fact you took the time to iron things out, and he may let you know why he was really peeved that day. Everyone speeds, including me, everyone has done something, but sure are peeved when they finally get caught at something considered minor...go see the chief...

Old 11-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FTroopChief
A state trooper pulls over a car for speeding and the female driver says "I guess you want to sell me some tickets to the Trooper's Ball?" The trooper responded, "Troopers don't have *****, ma'am." After he realized what he said, he simply walked back to his car and drove away.
On an episode of Cops or Speeders or some show like that, I saw a cop deliver the most brutal slam I have ever seen. As the cop handed a ticket to the not too bad looking female driver, she said "I thought cops don't give tickets to pretty women", and the cop responded "We don't"

Ouch!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice post OleDoc! that's good advice.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
OK, Cody....having a young Codey of my own, and being a cop, and being in my 50's qualifies me to give you a little advise, as well as others. Cops come in all sizes, and as many mind sets. Some are ******, and enjoy it, some just do their job, while others go out of their way to help. I was never Chief, or the Town Marshall, but I know and am personal friends to a lot of them around here. I once held the rank of Captain locally, but just an old part-time special deputy with the county now, in my 31st year of doing the cop thing. What you really need to do, is stop by your local police department and have a one on one with the chief. Cops hear a lot things in their line of duty. Your neighbors, including him, see a lot more than you think. I for one, live on a corner where no one stops at the stop signs. I have two kids in my neighborhood who push it all the time. I have yet to do anything as they are neighbors, but when the day comes, I have plenty to talk to them about. So, if you are innocent of all these things, have a talk with the chief. He will appreciate the fact you took the time to iron things out, and he may let you know why he was really peeved that day. Everyone speeds, including me, everyone has done something, but sure are peeved when they finally get caught at something considered minor...go see the chief...
As a retired Police Chaplain of a 700+ department, what Doc has said is the best advice I've read so far. Whether it's Mayberry or Manhattan, Police will usually listen to a citizen who makes an effort to communicate honestly and personally. Go see the chief.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And then after you're done talking with him, if the experience was still bad, go get yourself a Rainbow bumper sticker, and a "I Hate Cops" bumper sticker, slap them on his POV, and see how long they stay on there.

If the talk goes well, then tell him "I'm sorry my uncles put the
Rainbow and 'I Hate Cops' bumper stickers on your car", and then high-tail it outta there.

BC.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bladecutter
And then after you're done talking with him, if the experience was still bad, go get yourself a Rainbow bumper sticker, and a "I Hate Cops" bumper sticker, slap them on his POV, and see how long they stay on there.

If the talk goes well, then tell him "I'm sorry my uncles put the
Rainbow and 'I Hate Cops' bumper stickers on your car", and then high-tail it outta there.

BC.
I went and had a talk with him two days ago and he seemed quite suprised that I had come to talk to him. I apologized for whatever I had did and all he said was "don't worry about it". He told me to be careful with a car like that cause he has seen plenty of kids my age killed for driving faster cars than they could handle. I understand his concern but I was hoping for more of a "you didn't do anything wrong". That was pretty much the end of our conversation but, he still seemed to have this little attitude about him. Maybe it's just the way he comes off to me.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:27 PM

Very good advice, I think it will also help with just having the avenue of conversation open in the future. Everyone one has good and bad days, something he saw then or before triggered a feeling in him that he needed to express.
My Dad, when I was a little boy, used to line all the kids up (6) when he came home and ask us if we were ready for our spankings. He told us that he knew we did something even if he didn't see it. He was just playing with us, but the message was there. Be good, do what's correct even when no one sees.
Just thoughts from a Grandpa that still misses his Dad, long since passed away.
Have a great Thanksgiving all.

Dave
dtinker

Old 11-24-2010, 03:22 PM

You know Cody, I try not to forget you are young adults...but as we get older, we still want to treat you like a young kid. We all have seen a lot of accidents in our time, and yes, many are young speeders who thought they could handle their cars. This isn't pointing the finger at you at all, but in general, many policemen do. Just take it at what it is worth and move on. He won't forget you came in to talk to him...and he may be one of those ****** I was talking about. I would hope not at a chief's level, but you just never know. My old chief could be a real ***** when he wanted to be and I never hesitate to tell him either. But, that is me, not you....you be safe, and don't take things so personal...it's just part of our game, like it or not. I have pissed off many a speeder in my day....even though I tried to reduce fines by reducing the speed...sometimes it just doesn't work. But, I gave a lot more warnings than citations...as I stated earlier, we come in all sizes, and shapes, and personalities...good luck...

Old 11-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Forum Regular

Yesterday I was pulled over for doing the speed limit. I know for a fact that i was doing 40 on the 40 as i was literally observing my speed limit at the time he pulled me over. Bad luck for the officer for pulling me over on a section where I was clearly and fully aware of my speed.

He couldn't prove it and let me go - I have a feeling he claimed my speed through utter BS to get me to admit to it.

He also made me do a finger alcohol test. Passed it. Ran my plates. Did everything to nail me for something as he knew he couldn't get me for my speed.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AlbertFattal
Yesterday I was pulled over for doing the speed limit. I know for a fact that i was doing 40 on the 40 as i was literally observing my speed limit at the time he pulled me over. Bad luck for the officer for pulling me over on a section where I was clearly and fully aware of my speed.

He couldn't prove it and let me go - I have a feeling he claimed my speed through utter BS to get me to admit to it.

He also made me do a finger alcohol test. Passed it. Ran my plates. Did everything to nail me for something as he knew he couldn't get me for my speed.
it may have assisted in me getting off any kind of ticket that i was extremely polite, responsive and calm when talking to him. Did everything he asked for with the most respect to my officer as I could give him.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
You know Cody, I try not to forget you are young adults...but as we get older, we still want to treat you like a young kid. We all have seen a lot of accidents in our time, and yes, many are young speeders who thought they could handle their cars. This isn't pointing the finger at you at all, but in general, many policemen do. Just take it at what it is worth and move on. He won't forget you came in to talk to him...and he may be one of those ****** I was talking about. I would hope not at a chief's level, but you just never know. My old chief could be a real ***** when he wanted to be and I never hesitate to tell him either. But, that is me, not you....you be safe, and don't take things so personal...it's just part of our game, like it or not. I have pissed off many a speeder in my day....even though I tried to reduce fines by reducing the speed...sometimes it just doesn't work. But, I gave a lot more warnings than citations...as I stated earlier, we come in all sizes, and shapes, and personalities...good luck...
Thanks Doc for the good advice. I feel a little more at peace now that I have talked to him. Whether it did any good or not I do not know. I understand that I'm young and should take extra care when driving. I understand that you have your good and your bad police officers. I have met plenty of good police officers and they are no different than us. I will move on and hopefully a bad experience such as this will not happen to me again.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Got pulled over for the first time a couple o' weeks ago. I live a block away from the local cop shop and pass these guys going to work every day for the last couple of years since getting my "X". The road is posted 25mph and noboby does that, especially the cops. This rookie gets right on my tail as I'm coming home from work and pulls me as I turn into my street. When I politely asked why, he gave me the old "checking for stolen vehicles" excuse, not the 30 in a 25 I was expecting to here. I believe they kind of perk up when they here the Magna exhaust and see those monster tires on the back. I thought maybe I was holding him up from shift change. He let me slide after eyeing out the car like he was looking for something illegal on it.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by syfi
Got pulled over for the first time a couple o' weeks ago. I live a block away from the local cop shop and pass these guys going to work every day for the last couple of years since getting my "X". The road is posted 25mph and noboby does that, especially the cops. This rookie gets right on my tail as I'm coming home from work and pulls me as I turn into my street. When I politely asked why, he gave me the old "checking for stolen vehicles" excuse, not the 30 in a 25 I was expecting to here. I believe they kind of perk up when they here the Magna exhaust and see those monster tires on the back. I thought maybe I was holding him up from shift change. He let me slide after eyeing out the car like he was looking for something illegal on it.
You should have told him you'd never be stupid enough to use a stolen car to transport drugs.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:09 AM

you'd be surprised....lol....crooks aren't the most intelligent people in the world....just read a case where a guy took a cell phone, put it on Craig's List...the guy who it was taken from happened to go on Craig's List for a replacement, saw the identical phone, and yes...you guessed it, purchased his old phone back, numbers still intact...the perp, put his return address on the package...and I could go on and on....