Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Anyone else have this squeaky rattle in their car?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else have this squeaky rattle in their car?

Just above the air conditioning vent on the far left side on the dash I have a continuous squeaky type rattle. It squeaks on the majority of road surfaces. I have found that if I apply pressure with my hand to the area just above the vent where the two dash part meet the squeak will go away. Is there a way to adhere these parts together in this area to kill this noisy little problem?

DSC02513.jpg

Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Re: Anyone else have this squeaky rattle in their car?

Originally Posted by jlindsey86
Just above the air conditioning vent on the far left side on the dash I have a continuous squeaky type rattle. It squeaks on the majority of road surfaces. I have found that if I apply pressure with my hand to the area just above the vent where the two dash part meet the squeak will go away. Is there a way to adhere these parts together in this area to kill this noisy little problem?

The dealersHip took apart my dash a few years back. That squeak was there after they were done with it. I could put my hand on top and it went away. Got upset and brought the car back. They fixed it. Not sure how but they did.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Anyone else have this squeaky rattle in their car?

If it's a squeak versus a true rattle, I'm wondering if a shot of silicon spray along that seam might be the ticket.

I'm just not sure if silicon would screw up the finish any, assuming some would get on the dash, outside the seam.

I'm not a big fan of dropping the dash, especially if you've never been down this path before.

But that may be your only option...

Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

A squeak sounds like two pieces of dash moving across each other. A rattle is different. If it's squeaking, I concur with a small shot of silicone spray. Wipe off any overspray. Silicone should not harm the finish. I also use it (not WD40) on all the rubber suspension bushings when I do my annual wheel removal and rim detailing.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't shoot any liquid other than water on the dash! And even then I wouldn't shoot it. What you have are 2 parts of the dash rubbing on each other. In my case it was caused by the dealership taking the dash apart to fix something. They didn't put it back together correctly. I complained and brought it back. They put another guy on the job that was a much better technician. The car was fine after that. I don't know what he did or what he took apart to fix it.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not put any liquid on it, especially silicone sray. I had some finish come off mine with Armorall. The plastic in these cars aren't colored all the way through -- they are painted and the paint will rub off.

As far as the sqeak, you may have to drop the dash or you may be able to get at it from the side. If you end up having to separate the parts, felt work great.

If you had work done by someone there recently, take it back and have them do the work and make it right.

Good luck. Squeaks, rattles etc are so darn annoying.............

Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 PM

YOU CAN SEE A LOT IF YOU PULL THE GLOVE BOX OUT AND GO FROM THERE

GOOD LUCK

SORRY LOOKS LIKE THE OTHER SIDE PULL THE AC VENT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS IT JUST SLIDES OUT TO REMOVE

GOOD LUCK

Last edited by SNAKEWOLF; 01-17-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 PM

Rattle was the wrong word to use. It is a definite squeak from the two dash parts rubbing against each other. I haven't had any work done on the car. The squeak has just become worse over the time I have owned the car. I think the cold weather has made it even more so. The silicone spray sounds like a good idea but I would be apprehensive to try it unless someone else has done it without it causing any finish damage.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what the radio is for !!! Turn up the volume !!! Great easy fix !!! LOL !!!