Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Plasti-Dip Project Finished w/Pics

Old 04-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Plasti-Dip Project Finished w/Pics

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
Mine has bonded really well, it doesnt peel unless I really work at it now. I plan on putting more coats on and clear coating after to have it really pop glossy and more durable just in case.
So when you pushed your dried caps back onto the dry wheel neither of their plasti dipped peeled right up? thats what I'm afraid of. Really not trying to redo it since they look really good. And dude buy the glossifier from dipyourcar and do 4 coats, the wheels will look so shiny

Old 04-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Would this work, and look o.k. on the faded plastic cowling between front hood & windshield?

Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Would this work, and look o.k. on the faded plastic cowling between front hood & windshield?
Yah it can be applied on any service with no prep (besides washing the service first to get rid of any debris) It will look flat black, but better then the faded look. If you want it shiny, buy one can of the glossifier from dipyourcar.com

Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by uknowhim21
So when you pushed your dried caps back onto the dry wheel neither of their plasti dipped peeled right up? thats what I'm afraid of. Really not trying to redo it since they look really good. And dude buy the glossifier from dipyourcar and do 4 coats, the wheels will look so shiny
It shouldnt peel up when dry, but just be careful in case it trys. Plasti-Dip peels from edges so as long as you dont create an edge and applied it over the curves of the rim where you wont agitiate the edge then your fine. Small gaps dont count as edges so you should be ok putting the center caps back on.

The problem with the glossifier is its $9/can and the 96 cent cans of clear coat are the same thing most likely but not branded "Plasti Dip". The Plasti Dip smoke looks cool though. I might buy a can when its released.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:36 PM

It shouldnt peel up when dry, but just be careful in case it trys. Plasti-Dip peels from edges so as long as you dont create an edge and applied it over the curves of the rim where you wont agitiate the edge then your fine. Small gaps dont count as edges so you should be ok putting the center caps back on.

The problem with the glossifier is its $9/can and the 96 cent cans of clear coat are the same thing most likely but not branded "Plasti Dip". The Plasti Dip smoke looks cool though. I might buy a can when its released.
Yah I'll see what happens when I try to pop them back on, otherwise I'll run em with no caps and upgrade the lug nuts to look nicer. And yah my order for the gloss wheel kit package was $63. Looks great but I'm sure the clear coat in my garage would of done the same. And yah the smoke looks cool. The new colors they just came out with are pretty intense, like the hulk green and orange

Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought some Plasti Dip and will try it out on a few things.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mimi05SRT6
I just bought some Plasti Dip and will try it out on a few things.
You wont regret it!! Just remember the texture feels like rubber for a while, after about a month or two on my car its to the point where its smooth like normal rattle canned flat paint.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question about the plasti-dipped wheels. What do you use to clean them, to remove all the brake dust and road grime? I'm thinking that a lot of crap will stick to it. I may try one wheel to see how it does with cleaning, etc. Also, when changing tires, I'm assuming that the rims will have to be resprayed in certain spots from removing and installing the new tires??

Last edited by Mimi05SRT6; 04-10-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mimi05SRT6
Question about the plasti-dipped wheels. What do you use to clean them, to remove all the brake dust and road grime? I'm thinking that a lot of crap will stick to it. I may try one wheel to see how it does with cleaning, etc. Also, when changing tires, I'm assuming that the rims will have to be resprayed in certain spots from removing and installing the new tires??
To clean the wheels all you need to do is hose them down with water, spray some simple green on them to help break up the grime, let it sit for a minute or so, wash it off and then take a towel and wipe off all the remaining dirt.
When you put the wheels back on, the back wheels lug nuts will go in with no damage to the plasti dip. But since the front wheels lugs sit out further, they will cause the plasti dip to come up when your tightening the lug nuts. But nothing to worry about since we have the center caps that cover the lugs.
If you let the guy knows that changes the tires that its a plasti dipped wheel and to be as careful as possible, you might be able to change the tires with no harm to the plasti dip since its very durable stuff and only comes up if you really try to pry it up

Old 04-10-2012, 04:30 PM

Yeah plasti dip is awsome we we sprayed my buddys new gti in the green plasti dip over the winter to protect it from the salt and debris.. easy to use, cheap and and surprisingly durable.. it gets a thumbs up in my book and I have it on my car

-jason

Old 04-10-2012, 06:07 PM

To clean the wheels all you need to do is hose them down with water, spray some simple green on them to help break up the grime, let it sit for a minute or so, wash it off and then take a towel and wipe off all the remaining dirt.
When you put the wheels back on, the back wheels lug nuts will go in with no damage to the plasti dip. But since the front wheels lugs sit out further, they will cause the plasti dip to come up when your tightening the lug nuts. But nothing to worry about since we have the center caps that cover the lugs.
If you let the guy knows that changes the tires that its a plasti dipped wheel and to be as careful as possible, you might be able to change the tires with no harm to the plasti dip since its very durable stuff and only comes up if you really try to pry it up
I'm sure this stuff sticks pretty well; but any type of coating would stick better with a little scuff sanding. I know this would be a lot of work to do, but the adhesion would be much stronger than just laid over the existing clear coat. Needswings first media blasts all their teflon and ceramic coated parts for this precise reason; adhesion.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 PM

I'm sure this stuff sticks pretty well; but any type of coating would stick better with a little scuff sanding. I know this would be a lot of work to do, but the adhesion would be much stronger than just laid over the existing clear coat. Needswings first media blasts all their teflon and ceramic coated parts for this precise reason; adhesion.
There is no need to sand it believe me. The whole point of this product is to have an easy way to paint something. The sanding of the wheels for example would have no extra benefit believe me. You have to remember that this really isnt a paint, its just a liquid rubber

Old 04-11-2012, 02:38 AM

There is no need to sand it believe me. The whole point of this product is to have an easy way to paint something. The sanding of the wheels for example would have no extra benefit believe me. You have to remember that this really isnt a paint, its just a liquid rubber
An F.Y.I. In checking their website out; and for those that want ultimate adhesion to metal, I see that they recommend and sell the F-938 H.P. Primer that is "specifically developed to increase the adhesion of plasti-dip". For surface preparation, in addition to clean & free of oil,rust,etc., they state "A sandblasted or roughened surface allows for best adhesion." It obviously will work without this extreme; just passing this info. on.

Last edited by dinasrt; 04-11-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 AM

An F.Y.I. In checking their website out; and for those that want ultimate adhesion to metal, I see that they recommend and sell the F-938 H.P. Primer that is "specifically developed to increase the adhesion of plasti-dip". For surface preparation, in addition to clean & free of oil,rust,etc., they state "A sandblasted or roughened surface allows for best adhesion." It obviously will work without this extreme; just passing this info. on.
Any paint will stick better with a rough surface. The difference is this stuff doesnt fully bond when it dries. . . . (like paint). It bonds a couple weeks after. The first 2 weeks are critical. If you run your finger along a section it will pull the rubber and want to peel because its so thin. With a rough surface it may only take 1 week to fully bond. But after a couple weeks it feels smooth like normal nothing special flat paint. The difference is in the prep. If you want a good looking part then mask sand and paint it. If you want something that will give you a base for your goal. . . . . then this is where you want to be.

Time=Money... sanding takes time, primer takes time. . . they also sell all of the supplies for both, and more, on their website for. . . money. So if you want to waste extra money for no benefit then go ahead, but Ill stick to the simple cost effective method, the outcome is the same.

One last thing, I could peel all of it off and it will be no different then right before I put it on because I didnt rough up the surface.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 AM

Any paint will stick better with a rough surface. The difference is this stuff doesnt fully bond when it dries. . . . (like paint). It bonds a couple weeks after. The first 2 weeks are critical. If you run your finger along a section it will pull the rubber and want to peel because its so thin. With a rough surface it may only take 1 week to fully bond. But after a couple weeks it feels smooth like normal nothing special flat paint. The difference is in the prep. If you want a good looking part then mask sand and paint it. If you want something that will give you a base for your goal. . . . . then this is where you want to be.

Time=Money... sanding takes time, primer takes time. . . they also sell all of the supplies for both, and more, on their website for. . . money. So if you want to waste extra money for no benefit then go ahead, but Ill stick to the simple cost effective method, the outcome is the same.

One last thing, I could peel all of it off and it will be no different then right before I put it on because I didnt rough up the surface.
Well said buddy, well said

Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 PM

Well said buddy, well said
Thanks! So you didnt have a problem putting the center caps back on right? Im thinking about doing my mirrors next, more as an experiment than anything. But once everything I want is blacked out, Im going to coat em all again, then finish them off with some sort of clear coat. Im in escrow on my first house so car things are going slooooooowwwww right now. She is so dirty. . It's been 1 month since I washed her but no need to worry, once I move in she is getting a thorough bath

Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 PM

Thanks! So you didnt have a problem putting the center caps back on right? Im thinking about doing my mirrors next, more as an experiment than anything. But once everything I want is blacked out, Im going to coat em all again, then finish them off with some sort of clear coat. Im in escrow on my first house so car things are going slooooooowwwww right now. She is so dirty. . It's been 1 month since I washed her but no need to worry, once I move in she is getting a thorough bath
Yah I put them back on yesterday without any issues. I really wanted the white XF because of the white black combo but I guess all black will work for me, which is finally finished. Had my girl detailed today buy a place in my town it looks great! So once you wash your whip, you might want to do that also. Those are the wheels with the gloss black plasti dip package. They are like a chameleon color because they look darker or lighter depending on the light and how you look at them. This is the lighter view

Last edited by uknowhim21; 04-11-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:03 PM

I like it, it looks really good. As soon as I get moved in I am definately going to detail her and get her looking nice. I like white with black trim, but blacked out is just as awesome looking. Although, I have to re tint my side windows. I got pulled over the other day because the CHP couldnt see me haha. I heard their is adaptive tint based on weather so Im going to look into that. My windows were too dark to begin with anyway, I couldnt see $&!^ at night.

Last edited by sk8erjosh09; 04-12-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 PM

I like it, it looks really good. As soon as I get moved in I am definately going to detail her and get her looking nice. I like white with black trim, but blacked out is just as awesome looking. Although, I have to re tint my side windows. I got pulled over the other day because the CHP couldnt see me haha. I heard their is adaptive tint based on weather so Im going to look into that. My windows were too dark to begin with anyway, I couldnt see $&!^ at night.
I never heard of that kind of tint, but I gotta check it out. Tints are next for me cuz thats the last of the cosmetics and I already did a full audio upgrade. Then all I have left is performance and a drop. I did 5% on my last car which is obviously way to dark. So ill prob go 35% since cops hate 20% or lower

Old 04-14-2012, 07:27 PM

hows this holding up for you man? i ordered some for my xfire since u got me into it. and actually pretty curious on how it will hold up lets say threw a car wash? and im debating on doing my whole car

Quick Reply: Plasti-Dip Project Finished w/Pics