Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Headliner woes

Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Headliner woes

My headliner is falling and won't stay up !! Okay, sorry, that was cheesy. I understand this is all too common a problem and have read other threads, but when I called my friendly neighborhood dealership I was told the replacement headliner part was in fact a pop-out piece - like a fabric covered board back if I understood correctly. The premium one went for $900 and the sport version for a mere $690, not including installation. Reading other tales of this problem, it sounds like everyone is doing what I thought to do originally, which is to have the existing fabric removed and re-upholster the backing. With the dome light and visor placement, it looks like a royal pain and I don't want to replace the whole assembly unnecessarily, but will cough up the $ if there's not much hope of having it redone satisfactorily. Not sure of having the MB service center doing the upholstery and not sure of the upholstery shop taking the ceiling apart. Ideas/suggestions ?

Old 03-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Headliner woes

Originally Posted by babiehop
My headliner is falling and won't stay up !! Okay, sorry, that was cheesy. I understand this is all too common a problem and have read other threads, but when I called my friendly neighborhood dealership I was told the replacement headliner part was in fact a pop-out piece - like a fabric covered board back if I understood correctly. The premium one went for $900 and the sport version for a mere $690, not including installation. Reading other tales of this problem, it sounds like everyone is doing what I thought to do originally, which is to have the existing fabric removed and re-upholster the backing. With the dome light and visor placement, it looks like a royal pain and I don't want to replace the whole assembly unnecessarily, but will cough up the $ if there's not much hope of having it redone satisfactorily. Not sure of having the MB service center doing the upholstery and not sure of the upholstery shop taking the ceiling apart. Ideas/suggestions ?
Virtually any auto upholstery shop can do the job. Ask around for recommendations.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Find a locale upholstery shop. They remove the old headliner strip of the cloth, re-glue the new cloth on and re-install. Most everyone I know paid in the $100.00 range.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had mine done for $125 by a local guy in the business for 40 years! He matched the material and color... my only regret is not getting a darker color. Dealership is a rip off!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

I had mine done for $95 . and they used a original looking materials you can't really tell the difference. Jim

Old 03-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Before anybody decides to install a "darker" colored headliner, check with forum member "Beaner".
He installed a black headliner in his Cedar/Slate interior, (and since I have a Cedar/Slate in mine) he had me get inside his car to see how it now feels like it's closing in on you.
I had to admit, I never feel claustrophobic in our Crossfire, but it sure felt "close" inside his.
Of course maybe it's just because his engine compartment is "overstuffed".

Old 03-22-2012, 08:22 AM

My headliner on the passenger side just fell about a week ago, and i'm taking it tomorrow to a local upholstery shop to have it done. They are doing it for 125, but i was quoted 165, and also 210 from other places. Just make sure to talk to them for a little while and make sure that they know what they're doing. One guy i talked to said he has done MANY crossfires. i really wanted to have him do it but he's far away. Just be careful, one place tried to tell me it was a $200+ job because you have to remove the seats and all this other stuff and i was like "okay, thanks, bye"....some places i just don't want touching my car. In any case, shouldn't cost you more than $150 for a good job!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tjb421
My headliner on the passenger side just fell about a week ago, and i'm taking it tomorrow to a local upholstery shop to have it done. They are doing it for 125, but i was quoted 165, and also 210 from other places. Just make sure to talk to them for a little while and make sure that they know what they're doing. One guy i talked to said he has done MANY crossfires. i really wanted to have him do it but he's far away. Just be careful, one place tried to tell me it was a $200+ job because you have to remove the seats and all this other stuff and i was like "okay, thanks, bye"....some places i just don't want touching my car. In any case, shouldn't cost you more than $150 for a good job!
The guy that did mine was a family operation that had been doing this type of work for 40 years. I think they told me they would have to remove the seats as well. In the end I don't think they did. I think they were just being cautious when doing their estimate.

I actually threw them an extra 20 bucks tip because they did a great job without destroying my interior.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:54 AM

If you remove and reinstall the headliner yourself its about 1/2 price and you do not have to remove the seats to get it done. Cost me $60 for the shop to replace the headliner. The cream headliner was always getting dirty where my helmet rubbed against it. I did mine in black and i really like the way it turned out.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Jeep Cherokee headliner done here at work, the guy was mobile and did the job in less than 2-hours, charged $120.00.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy to get loose, takes a little coaxing to get out of the car. I followed Les' instructions and took it out the passenger door in the same orientation that it was in the car. It is simply a glorified cardboard piece that can easily be stripped, prepped, and recovered. Although, make sure they use strong adhesive and plenty of it, because the curves in the liner make the material really stretch into place.

I did mine in CF and love it. I was worried a dark color or pattern would make the interior feel confined, but it does not.

A few pictures for you...

Old 03-22-2012, 01:23 PM

I went to the same place as Blackcrossfire07 did. I went a shade darker. I watch them do it every step of the way. They glued and tucked in around the edges which was not done by the factory. They didn't remove the seats. Cost $100.00.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:46 PM

Much appreciate all the tips and info. There is not much choice of upholstery shops here in podunksville, but hopefully one will be willing and skillful enough. Yes, BillF, I noticed the edges were not wrapped around and wondered if that didn't have a lot to do with why it has come loose in the first place.. Since I never plan to sell the car I've even considered going wild on the color, but am too conservative to do a pink flowery print in my Aero Blue coupe like I really want. ha ha ha ha ! Glad to know the seats do not have to come out.

Thanks,
ann

Old 03-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Here you go:

Auto upholstery near Whispering Pines, NC 28327

Todd's Upholstery
919 South Horner Boulevard, Sanford, NC
(919) 774-4945 ‎ · toddsupholstery.com
leather interiors · furniture furniture · seat repair

Key's Upholstery Inc
125 West Trade Street, Sanford, NC
(919) 775-7432 ‎

Old 03-22-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bill F
I went to the same place as Blackcrossfire07 did. I went a shade darker. I watch them do it every step of the way. They glued and tucked in around the edges which was not done by the factory. They didn't remove the seats. Cost $100.00.
Not sure why they charged you less. I know they did mine first and maybe they gave me a higher quote expecting it to be more work. I did not watch them do the job but they told me they wrapped it much better then it came from the factory.

My honest opinion to everyone here.... doing it myself was not an option. It is not about the money. For a hundred bucks I will let a pro do it. Saving 60 dollars to do it myself is not worth my time on a job like this. I would rather pay the hundred dollars and spend my time doing something else. I am not that cheap! I am the type of guy that would rather pay a few extra bucks for a meal that tastes better rather than save 2 dollars at a hole in the wall just to spend the night in the bathroom. Some things just make sense when it comes to saving a buck and others don't!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:52 PM

Much appreciate all the tips and info. There is not much choice of upholstery shops here in podunksville, but hopefully one will be willing and skillful enough. Yes, BillF, I noticed the edges were not wrapped around and wondered if that didn't have a lot to do with why it has come loose in the first place.. Since I never plan to sell the car I've even considered going wild on the color, but am too conservative to do a pink flowery print in my Aero Blue coupe like I really want. ha ha ha ha ! Glad to know the seats do not have to come out.

Thanks,
ann
Part of the problem is the way it was wrapped from the factory. I think the other part of the problem was the crappy glue they used. If not wrapped properly, all it takes is for a little heat and humidity to get inside and it is all over. With the Texas heat my car took a beating!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
My honest opinion to everyone here.... doing it myself was not an option.... I am not that cheap!
I don't think anyone else is either, after all, for $100 oil changes, no one can be too shy

For me, it was about letting someone else try to get something out of my car that was not easy to do and the fact that they probably would not take as much care as I would in the removal and reinstallation. I let a friend who wraps these all the time do the actual headliner, once it was out of the car, and then I reinstalled it. Cost - 12 hefeweizen beers .

Not about being cheap, about being thorough, and, I will admit, incredibly **** retentive about your ride

Old 03-29-2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Virtually any auto upholstery shop can do the job. Ask around for recommendations.
True! I had mine redone at a local upholstery/canvas shop last year for $120.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:29 AM

Have an appt to take it in next week and it's going to cost $245. All of you who paid in ~ $100 range be glad that you have competition where you are. I also got estimates of $160 on the low end and $280 on the high end. Am taking it to Key's Uph. in the next county because I've heard good things about their work. Still can't find anything with butterflies or flower prints, but oh, well. Nobody considers the girls when making this fabric. Was reallly glad to know for certain from info on here that the seats do not have to be removed.
On another note, almost got taken out (stop drooling if you need parts) by a hot-rodding Mustang yesterday and almost gave him the Italian "peace sign". Just glad mine is as quick and manuerverable as she is ! Anyone have comments on the S/W traction control switch on the gear stick ? A/T, drove in the rain for the first time and think I probably should have used it.

ann

Old 03-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have an appt to take it in next week and it's going to cost $245. All of you who paid in ~ $100 range be glad that you have competition where you are. I also got estimates of $160 on the low end and $280 on the high end. Am taking it to Key's Uph. in the next county because I've heard good things about their work. Still can't find anything with butterflies or flower prints, but oh, well. Nobody considers the girls when making this fabric. Was reallly glad to know for certain from info on here that the seats do not have to be removed.
On another note, almost got taken out (stop drooling if you need parts) by a hot-rodding Mustang yesterday and almost gave him the Italian "peace sign". Just glad mine is as quick and manuerverable as she is ! Anyone have comments on the S/W traction control switch on the gear stick ? A/T, drove in the rain for the first time and think I probably should have used it.

ann
The S/W switch (Summer/Winter) (Sere/Wet) should be in "S" this time of year. Or in heavy rain. If your ESP (Traction Control) light is coming on in the wet, maybe your tires are a bit worn? Happened to me-smooth rears.

Quick Reply: Headliner woes