Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

transmission failing?

Old 07-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission failing?

I drive the car and it's shifting weird.. It’s been doing this a while and I suspect it's the trans.. But lately I've been thinking otherwise.. When I first bought the car I had the trans services since it was at the right mileage.. it was still doing it.. now it seems to be getting worse.. It will shift into gear (shifting up) and go into gear an then hesitate then find it's place and go.. I suspect trans. But I'm also considering the plugs wires, fuel filter.. Since I'm wondering if there is a problem with it not catching off the gear and going.. So far my plan of action is to replace plugs and wires and fuel filter and see if there is a change in response. Hoping for the best but wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: transmission failing?

You have got to make up your mind if it is a engine/horsepower problem or a transmission problem - hard for us to tell from the description.

Transmission complaints on the Automatic Crossfire are really kinda rare ('cept for the fluid leak thing that everyone seems to get). I don't' follow such threads, as my current car is a manual (as ALL Roadsters SHOULD BE!)

But, anyway:
How many miles on the car?
How many miles since the service was done on the transmission?
Did it start right after the service, or, say, 10,000 miles after? (Thinking bad/wrong fluid or wrong quantity of fluid here, should have shown up really quickly.)

As to the engine:
Do you have any starting problems?
Rough idle?
Stalling?
Any of these would add to the evidence your transmission may not be the problem.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:17 AM

I bought the car at around 55,000... and shortly after purchase it seemed to have issues... They told me it had the wrong fluid and serviced it. Charging me saying the warrantee only covers repair and not service. (Yeah I know I got screwed). So I got it back and it still seemed to have the same issue but I didn't want to take it back. And shortly after I deployed to Afghanistan and couldn't do much about it anyways. Right now the car is at about 75,000 and runs strong. Just has the hesitation while shifting. I've changed oil but nothing else. Which leads me to wonder if plugs, wires and such have ever been replaced? No trouble starting other than I'm having the sticky ignition problem as of lately. Fires up fine and idles fine. Sometimes will driving down like a highway or at a steady rpm. You can heat it stutter and such. I drove it about 3 hours today and it did it several times. And the shifting issue is at each stop, also to add. It seems to do it if I shift as well
There isn’t any grinding noises or vibrations which are normal with trans. issues. Everything runs smooth other than the hesitation… also. If it might help any. And I doubt as it’s probably normal. After driving it today for a long period of time, I could place my finger down below the shift **** and feel the shaft was a bit warm, but not in the shifter itself….

Old 07-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

You might want to throw a can of Seafoam in the tank and then do some high speed driving.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:48 PM

Hey Frank. As was previously mentioned about the trans. leak, check to see if you have a leak on the right side,pass. side of the trans. It is probably the seal on the plug that goes onto the shifter solenoid. If that has leaked for a long period of time you will have to have the seal replaced and hopefully not the solenoid which you will have to program the unit after repacing said parts. Excessive leaking by that defective seal can cause erratic shifting.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

How is it if you go through the gears using the shifter, 1-2-3-4-5?