Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

service required ?

Old 08-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default service required ?

Im getting the wrench & clock displaying with a -150 next day it was -148 I thought it was counting down for service but now next day reading -153 !! What this mean ?

Old 08-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: service required ?

the (-) sign means you're overdue for an oil change, and/or to reset the FSS

If you've done a recent oil change and didn't reset the FSS, you need to reset it and make a mental note of the mileage.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:19 PM

whats the -150 ? I thought maybe days left til oil change but why does the number keep changing ? 1st -150 then -143 now -153 ? Whats it all mean ? I know Im close to needing an oil change just like to know what the darn things saying ???

Old 08-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Mahoney
whats the -150 ? I thought maybe days left til oil change but why does the number keep changing ? 1st -150 then -143 now -153 ? Whats it all mean ? I know Im close to needing an oil change just like to know what the darn things saying ???
Should be miles. The FRS will calculate your next service based on how aggressive you drive. So, if you do a track day, you'll see the number fluctuate.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Go to our SRT section and download the owner's manual, it explains a lot of this!!

Old 08-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interpreting that wonderful - but *&* blasted wrench is a real problem - especially when you know that it is not yet time for an oil change! I did read and re read and reread again as many posts as I could about the wrench and how-to's etc. Finally decided to just get the oil change. The car is too important to me to mess with ( umm - in the overall scheme of things ) a WRENCH. Which is telling me something even tho I know the oil change is not due! Alicia

Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are sure that the oil has been changed, it is possible that the person doing the change did not reset the FSS. Another oil change will not do this automatically. You can reset the FSS by following the instructions in the owners manual.

Make sure when you do the reset procedure that you turn the key to the on position, not the accessory position.

From the owner manual:

1. Turn key to the ON/RUN position.
2. Within one second press the reset button (22) twice.
3. The present status for days or distance is displayed.
Within 10 seconds turn the key to OFF/LOCK.
4. Press and hold the reset button (22), while turning
the key to ON/RUN again. The present status for
days or distance is displayed once more. Continue
to hold the reset button(22).
After approximately 10 seconds, a signal sounds and
the display shows 7,000 miles (Canada: 11,000 km) for
approximately 10 seconds.
5. Release the reset button (22).

Old 08-18-2012, 07:40 AM

thanks all for your help !! I know its time for oil change so Im just going to get at it & reset the FSS ! Last time I did this it worked on resetting the 1st time !!! Thanks again !

Old 08-18-2012, 09:20 AM

The reset info is not in the 2008 manual, so I downloaded it from this site. I think what may have happened in my situation was that the previous reset was only done for maybe 5,000 miles instead of 7,000 miles. In any case, the time lapse between changes had been long enought that I wanted to make sure all was ok...... Alicia

Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 PM

my big ? was why did I get the clock & wrench for service this time. when last time I just got wrench ?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Mahoney
my big ? was why did I get the clock & wrench for service this time. when last time I just got wrench ?
Ed,

There FSS offers some flexibility in how it measures service intervals based on driving conditions. When only wrench(es) are displayed, the FSS is counting down in miles (or km) to the next service interval. Whenever the vehicle is driven with any frequency, the FSS will be reporting the DRIVING DISTANCE remaining until the scheduled service. But let's say the Crossfire is driven infrequently, the FSS recognizes that the distance interval will not be attained in a reasonable timeframe (say less than 2 years - I'm not sure exactly how it is calculated). The FSS then switches over to displaying the clock along with wrench(es) to indicate the NUMBER OF DAYS remaining until the scheduled service.

If the service message is preceded by a MINUS SIGN it means that the service term has passed. The -150 you were seeing is suggesting that the service should have been performed 150 days ago. I'm not sure why it would not count up by +1 each day. Unless the FSS was not reset at the last service, it is time to perform the scheduled service now.

From my personal experience (2004, 21K miles) I usually only see the distance until service. But a year ago the clock was displayed as I had driven less than 3K miles in nearly two years at which point I performed the service and reset the FSS. Right now it's reporting distance again. Generally, I change the oil once a year and don't pay much attention to the FSS after resetting it. In the early days of the Crossfire there were frequent reports from new owners of the clock being displayed. It was typically the result of the car sitting on the lot for many months if not a year or more.

Rob

Old 08-22-2012, 12:32 PM

Rob M - thank you for this info. Alicia

Old 08-22-2012, 04:38 PM

yes thanks for all the info makes more sense now ! My car does sit for long periods of time ! 04 with only 24 400 miles on her now !

Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 PM

So this service that is required when the wrench and the clock is shown is just an oil change? Could it be any other type of service?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by millerzrule22
So this service that is required when the wrench and the clock is shown is just an oil change? Could it be any other type of service?
No and yes. There are a variety of checks and inspections IAW schedule "A" and "B" service recommendations. Make sure you have a copy of these schedules with your owner's information/manuals. Or, search on the forum and you should be able to find them. At service "A" intervals the oil change stands out because the other items are mostly simple visual checks and inspections. Schedule "B" adds in a few more inspections but it is also the interval where any extended maintenance intervals are specified. For example, changing spark plugs and automatic transmission fluid at 100K miles. These would not be done at your first schedule "B" service, but should be addressed at perhaps the 5th service "B" interval. Engine coolant change and air and cabin filter changes would also be indicated at recommended intervals listed on Schedule "B".