Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Airbag light is on

Old 09-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light is on

Any idea how to get rid of the airbag light besides the black tape trick?

Old 09-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Airbag light is on

Originally Posted by CF448
Any idea how to get rid of the airbag light besides the black tape trick?
Dealing with the issue myself. I need to bring the car in and get it fixed.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Hey, got the same problem. It happened 2 days after I had a 4 wheel alignment done on the car and they centerd the sterring wheel. I have heard that it may have something to do with the "clock spring" in the steering wheel . Has any one else had this problem?

Old 09-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Silver tape.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Pay close attention all of you. If the light is on, your air bags are off. None of the system will work. The only way to turn it back ON is the "the dealer". It takes the Star system they use to reset everything. You can't do it. Someone while working on your car may have unpluged an air bag. You can only do that if you disconnect the battery first. Either way. A trip to the dealer will fix it if there truely isn't something wrong....but right now, you have zero safety features

Old 09-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Pay close attention all of you. If the light is on, your air bags are off. None of the system will work. The only way to turn it back ON is the "the dealer". It takes the Star system they use to reset everything. You can't do it. Someone while working on your car may have unpluged an air bag. You can only do that if you disconnect the battery first. Either way. A trip to the dealer will fix it if there truely isn't something wrong....but right now, you have zero safety features
That would be my answer too, you have to disconnect the battery before tacking the air bag wires off. The light would come on immediately though, not two days later.

CF448 does not give any specifics so no help can be given in that case.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
That would be my answer too, you have to disconnect the battery before tacking the air bag wires off. The light would come on immediately though, not two days later.

CF448 does not give any specifics so no help can be given in that case.
I found this out Dave when having the door repaired on the coupe. My body shop unplugged the air bag without disconnecting the battery. Luckily, we are friends with the owners of the dealership, so it was no charge. They usually charge $100....for 2 minutes of work...lol.

Last edited by oledoc2u; 10-14-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 AM

Finally bit the bullet and dropped the car off at a dealership. I have two issues, airbag light on and cig lighter no power (yes, fuse is good!). Also found out about a recall for the upper rad hose. Will inform when I get answers.
Gord

Old 09-18-2012, 11:51 AM

Keep us posted. Let us know what the problem is and the cost. Just curious. You may also want to call the 800 number for Chrysler and complain. This is a safety issue. If you complain loud enough while your car is at the dealership, the may do something for you. I have a jeep with 272k miles and not once did the airbag give me problems. In my opinion, airbag problems on cars that are 4-5 years old is bs.

Last edited by blackcrossfire07; 09-18-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:47 PM

Dealer called back, says there 2 codes, one for the module and one for the pass. side bag, however 1 code would cause the other code. If its the module, he's saying $2900. The cars an 04 with only 20200 km,s (around 12500 miles). I think its BS that a major safety system goes TU. This seems to be an issue as I'm not the only one ( thanks, search button!). They have my car overnite to try to narrow it down. Will post later.
Gord

Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 PM

If they are talking about the relay control module, there is a fix for that you can do yourself. That wouldn't have anything to do with the air bag... I still think they unplugged it... Usually not much goes wrong with the air bags.... jmo...

Old 09-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
If they are talking about the relay control module, there is a fix for that you can do yourself. That wouldn't have anything to do with the air bag... I still think they unplugged it... Usually not much goes wrong with the air bags.... jmo...
"They" can clear the airbag code from unplugging it right? But that doesn't pay near as well as new parts install I guess..

Old 09-18-2012, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
"They" can clear the airbag code from unplugging it right? But that doesn't pay near as well as new parts install I guess..
No... I have the same exact codes on mine saying it is the module. You can't clear the codes because they just come back. Been there and done that! You need to reprogram your module if possible. But he is right... Replacement is a 2000 dollar part. Some say buy the Mercedes module for 150 dollars but I say if you fiddle with the airbag system yourself you are asking for trouble. Besides.. It may be a Mercedes part but Chrysler could have done some of their own programming to it.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by 180SRET
Dealer called back, says there 2 codes, one for the module and one for the pass. side bag, however 1 code would cause the other code. If its the module, he's saying $2900. The cars an 04 with only 20200 km,s (around 12500 miles). I think its BS that a major safety system goes TU. This seems to be an issue as I'm not the only one ( thanks, search button!). They have my car overnite to try to narrow it down. Will post later.
Gord
I think this is BS as well, why would a "module" go bad after all it's never been used.
Probably a bad connection. Get them to give you the code, do not be too obvious about the question, just ask in a dumb manner and then check the code against the codes here. It's a pity you cannot get the code for yourself but some codes are only readable at the dealer.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 AM

I think this is BS as well, why would a "module" go bad after all it's never been used.
Probably a bad connection. Get them to give you the code, do not be too obvious about the question, just ask in a dumb manner and then check the code against the codes here. It's a pity you cannot get the code for yourself but some codes are only readable at the dealer.
I was getting a 01 code which means bad module. Don't ask me how it could go bad.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you wanted german engineering and you get german electronics with it.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
I was getting a 01 code which means bad module. Don't ask me how it could go bad.
I do not see an 01 code relating to the air bag.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not see an 01 code relating to the air bag.
It's a blackcrossfire07 only code.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:45 PM

My codes are 1B-00 passenger airbag on/off communication failure and 01-00 airbag module internal failure. One code can cause the other code however after 1.5 days the tech says its narrowed down to the airbag module, a $2900 part. That said, they will install a used part if I can get one. Anyone happen to have a spare kicking around?? Haven't talked to MB yet. Also fix for the cig lighter is a new unit, $280 installed. So far all they have charged me is the $129 Diagnostic fee.
On a side note, Chrysler said there was a 3 year, 60000 km warranty on the module, also covered under extended warranty. I'm SOL on that front. Hope this helps out. I'll try to search the part #.
Gord

Old 09-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
No... I have the same exact codes on mine saying it is the module. You can't clear the codes because they just come back. Been there and done that! You need to reprogram your module if possible. But he is right... Replacement is a 2000 dollar part. Some say buy the Mercedes module for 150 dollars but I say if you fiddle with the airbag system yourself you are asking for trouble. Besides.. It may be a Mercedes part but Chrysler could have done some of their own programming to it.
I was under the impression you resolved this a long time ago...

Quick Reply: Airbag light is on