Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Bearing Screeching Noise . . .

Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bearing Screeching Noise . . .

My 2006 Coupe has discovered a new noise...
Screeching sound, is loud outside the car and can be heard inside too...
I was told it was possibly a small blower in the fuse box, so after putting a lolly stick in the fan blades to stop them turning - that disproved this theory....

Now, the noise sounds like a hair dryer with dry bearings that screech or finger nails on a chalk board, but this only happens when.... the car is moving and driving... when...

*You very gently apply the throttle, not necessarily increasing speed,
*Corner gently,
*Decelerate gently,

It does not matter what speed you're doing, or which gear.

The clutch is definately not slipping, no loose exhaust brackets etc, and comes from the front of the vehicle...

My latest theorys are
1***that there is a centrifugal fan on the front / top of the engine that powers up when the car is started and runs for about 1 minute.... wondering if this idles when vehicle runs and a change in engine vibration causes the fan bearings to shriek...
2***The air filters may be blocked and air is whistling past the engine cover seals - but I think this is unlikely, as she drives toooooo well.

This enclosed fan does not appear to blow air any where . . . . what does it do ??? cannot see where it blows to.....
1* Any one know what this fan unit actually does ?
2*Any one got any other ideas where this screeching sound could come from ?
3*Any one else ever had this noise problem ?

Ideas and theorys gratefully accepted.

Regards to all

Grant B

Old 03-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Bearing Screeching Noise . . . . .

This enclosed fan does not appear to blow air any where . . . . what does it do ??? cannot see where it blows to.....
1. It serves to cool the modules in the box as well as the TCM and Infinity Amp.
2. Yes - Mine did that when the large hose on the left valve cover to the MAF body came off.
3. see #2

Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM

Hi there, Just to clear up any confusion I may have created re my squeeky fans...

IT IS NOT the fan in the fuse box next to the battery that cools relays and Amp and Computer Module etc.

The noise is coming from some where else..

Regards
Grant B

Old 03-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantB
Hi there, Just to clear up any confusion I may have created re my squeeky fans...

IT IS NOT the fan in the fuse box next to the battery that cools relays and Amp and Computer Module etc.

The noise is coming from some where else..

Regards
Grant B
That fan is the one that blows air into the exhaust to warm up the cats.
It only runs for a while as you say.
There are plenty of other bearings on the front of the car, so use a hose as a stethoscope and search.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantB
My 2006 Coupe has discovered a new noise...
Screeching sound, is loud outside the car and can be heard inside too...
I was told it was possibly a small blower in the fuse box, so after putting a lolly stick in the fan blades to stop them turning - that disproved this theory....

Now, the noise sounds like a hair dryer with dry bearings that screech or finger nails on a chalk board, but this only happens when.... the car is moving and driving... when...

*You very gently apply the throttle, not necessarily increasing speed,
*Corner gently,
*Decelerate gently,

It does not matter what speed you're doing, or which gear.

The clutch is definately not slipping, no loose exhaust brackets etc, and comes from the front of the vehicle...

My latest theorys are
1***that there is a centrifugal fan on the front / top of the engine that powers up when the car is started and runs for about 1 minute.... wondering if this idles when vehicle runs and a change in engine vibration causes the fan bearings to shriek...
2***The air filters may be blocked and air is whistling past the engine cover seals - but I think this is unlikely, as she drives toooooo well.

Ideas and theorys gratefully accepted.

Regards to all

Grant B
I think you maybe going in the wrong direction on this. My thoughts is you may have a bad wheel bearing on the front wheels. I couldn't find the issue until I totally removed the wheel assembly and found that my outter bearing had shatterEd within the hub. You won't see it until you remove the wheel bearing dust cap after you remove the wheel.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Bearing Screeching Noise . . .

No bearing will equal end play with the tire/wheel. Simply jack it up and push - pull on the top of the tire to rule that out.

That fan actually pulls cool air out of the cabin (by the amp) to cool off the electronics there.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:44 PM

Many thanks fr the suggestion, and would agree on many points, excecpt the noise happened some times when the vehicle was stationary..

As it turned out, the problem was theast thing I'dhave possibly imagined......
the noise was comming from an EXHAUST BRACKET that broken away from the right side exhaust pipe in such a way that it was sliding on the pipe....
re-welded the bracket to the pipe.... problem solved.....

another fix-it added to my list of learnings....in hunting out the problem, I rebuilt the blower on the front of the engine that blows thu the EGR valve.... a little fiddley, but potentially saved hundreds of $$$ and just cost a few bucks for sealed bearings,,, easy.

many thanks again, knowledge shared... and as it happens I gotta do the wheel bearings soon any way
Grant B

Originally Posted by KoKaneFire
I think you maybe going in the wrong direction on this. My thoughts is you may have a bad wheel bearing on the front wheels. I couldn't find the issue until I totally removed the wheel assembly and found that my outter bearing had shatterEd within the hub. You won't see it until you remove the wheel bearing dust cap after you remove the wheel.