Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Tpms battery lifespan.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tpms battery lifespan.

So when one of the TPMS sensors dies.....I guess it would make some sense to just wait till you need your next set of tires & have them all replaced....

Appears the 07 built March of 07 has a dead sensor.....

Old 03-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Tpms battery lifespan.

Originally Posted by Chris L.
So when one of the TPMS sensors dies.....I guess it would make some sense to just wait till you need your next set of tires & have them all replaced....

Appears the 07 built March of 07 has a dead sensor.....
Makes sense to me to just have normal valve stems installed and do the TPMS monitor disable mod.
How hard is it to check your tire pressure anyway ?
On our cars, it only informs you that 'some' wheel is low, you have to check them all anyway.
The TPMS will not ENSURE you have 33 rear / 32 front anyway like you should.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Makes sense to me to just have normal valve stems installed and do the TPMS monitor disable mod.
On our cars, it only informs you that 'some' wheel is low, you have to check them all anyway.
So you actually walk around the car checking tire pressures every time before turning the key on..?

Personally if I picked up a nail on the road, went in somewhere to eat, I'd want to know my tire was low with an issue before I got on the road again. I figure if it saves one rim from getting ate up while trying to get slowed down.. they were with the investment.
To each there own, but that's my thought on the matter.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
So you actually walk around the car checking tire pressures every time before turning the key on..?
I'm ****, but not quite THAT ****. I check them weekly, and just rely on the seat of the pants to tell me something is wrong. Worked for me for 52 years of driving.
I know you still have that bolt thru the wheel thing stuck in you head.

( do you fiddle with ( and trust ) the electronic oil level readout, or simply use the dip stick like I do ? )

Old 03-18-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
I'm ****, but not quite THAT ****. I check them weekly, and just rely on the seat of the pants to tell me something is wrong. Worked for me for 52 years of driving.
I know you still have that bolt thru the wheel thing stuck in you head.

( do you fiddle with ( and trust ) the electronic oil level readout, or simply use the dip stick like I do ? )
LOL.. That bolt was a WTH moment with TPMS removing any doubt about fast turtle trying to cross the road..
I don't rely on the TPMS but I'm not going to argue if it says get out and check a tire..
Much like the oil level sender.. It says take a look the hood is going up..

Old 03-18-2013, 05:41 PM

I took the lens cover off, took out the 2 screws (they were stars ....not phillips head screws) ......& the wiring just didn't look like the description in the linked post. Maybe it changed for the 07s?

Decided to go with the circle of electrical tape......till I need the next set of tires........

The bummer is.......if the batteries only last 5-7 years......how can you be sure when you have new sensors installed....that they haven't been sitting on a shelf for 5 years already?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The bummer is.......if the batteries only last 5-7 years......how can you be sure when you have new sensors installed....that they haven't been sitting on a shelf for 5 years already?
My understanding is that the batteries are lithium (very very long shelf life) and the TPMS sensors activate only when the wheels start turning above a specified speed (30mph maybe?). So I would argue the life of the batteries is mileage dependent. I'm hoping so, because I have a new set of TPMS sensors sitting on a shelf for when needed.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:37 PM

I think I've seen the light come on after coming out of work after the temp had dropped significantly......before the car had even moved?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 PM

I think I've seen the light come on after coming out of work after the temp had dropped significantly......before the car had even moved?

Old 03-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L.
You just reminded me that I too recall getting in my Jeep and seeing the lamp on, before driving. So....I did some research! Their are two kinds of TPMS sensors; direct and indirect. Crossfires have direct monitoring (indirect uses the ABS sensors and measures the rotation of the wheel). From what I have read, manufacturers use different designs and no one standard exists. That said, when googling for information, you find out that different TPMS's have different "cycle" rates, sample rates and "sleep" modes. So for example when your car is stopped, the sensor will go into sleep mode and not transmit the information as frequently as say when you are driving at normal speeds. Also, different manufacturers use different "cycle" rates. The more the TPMS transmits, the more draw on the battery.... so it's difficult to find information that applies to all TPMS sensors. The same resources claim that the batteries can last anywhere from 3,4 years up to 12yrs, depending on "cycle" rates etc. The same information also reminds us that in colder temperatures, the batteries last longer (I store batteries in a fridge). If I remember, it was an auto technician that told me about the TPMS sensors switching on and off, and that having them on a shelf will not drain the battery......now I'm not sure!

Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 PM

I was at a Sam's Club earlier today and the auto department quoted $44.xx for the sensor & $5 for installation.....plus I suppose you would want to rebalance...so with tax it would be about 55 to 60 bucks per wheel.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use color coded pressure caps on all of my vehicles. If they are green it's ok. I do a walk around every time I use one... So does my wife. It has become automatic after 40 years. tpms is junk with its short life.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 PM

I put a set on a car once & after a couple of years the 2 metals fused together.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 PM

Yep... just like them fancy dice ones I put on the Tahoe.. after busting them up I had to pry the aluminum inserts off the stem.. Never again..

Now the Mercedes Logo stainless steel ones on the Xfire.. not an issue ..

The following users liked this post:
littleredxf (12-08-2020)
Old 11-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to revive an old thread, but what would be wrong with replacing the batteries (if you can split the things)?

Old 11-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by lildaddym
Sorry to revive an old thread, but what would be wrong with replacing the batteries (if you can split the things)?
Nothing that I can see as long as you put it all together correctly and it did not fly apart when driving it. Which would mean you had to dismount the tire again.
Arado took one apart and he figured it was not worth the hassle. I would be willing to do it when I get a bad one in my hands.
After all, how hard can it be?

I think ten years was the aim of the battery life.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:45 PM

That's what I thought...anyone have a donor?

Old 11-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by lildaddym
That's what I thought...anyone have a donor?
Arado took some pics and they were in his post.
This is what he said.
You piqued my interest so I stripped one down. It is very heavily potted with a super tough elastic polymer. The battery is a Maxell CR245HR..3 volt putting out 2.99volt at this time. Replacing it not worth the labor cost. Battery diameter 25mm. last a long time. gary

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Arado pic of TPMS.JPG (974.4 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-21-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:47 PM

Does kinda look like a waste of time...

Old 11-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire

Message - CrossfireForum.org Gallery

This is why the TPMS is nice to have around.
If you pick up a nail or some other road debris that punctures the tire just enough to cause it to deflate gradually, this is what can happen before you realize you have a flat on an interstate.

Quick Reply: Tpms battery lifespan.