Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

The sound of silence. No noise from alarm sounder.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The sound of silence. No noise from alarm sounder.

Hi all,

I have been lurking around the forum for a few months whilst I looked for my perfect Crossfire here in the UK!!!

Collected her two weeks ago and I still haven’t lost the grin however, despite checking almost everything that might go wrong before I bought it something slipped through the net.

My alarm doesn’t make ANY noise, none, nil not even a cricket on crack!!!! I know most of you want to know how to silence the alarm instead.

Tested as follows.
  • Lock car with remote leaving a window open. Alarm arms (no chirp), indicators flash 3 times and doors lock, interior lights fade out and tow away lamp flashes.

• Reach in through the window and open door. Indicators flash rapidly and relay under bonnet clicks in time but no sound!

• I can unlock the car and turn off the alarm OK with the remote.

Whilst the alarm was triggered I listened really carefully at the bottom of the windscreen where I believe the alarm sounder is housed but there isn’t the faintest noise. I have already made sure there isn’t water in the boot wells, removed one of the bungs already although I haven’t taken out the plastic to check for rust on the vacuum pump etc.

We know the alarm sounder on the crossfire does have issues and can be replaced with an updated one but the cost to buy one is restrictive at the minute so can I??

• Remove the sounder and use the car as normal until I can either repair or replace it? Or will it cause other problems with the locking or immobiliser??

• Can the unit be repaired by grafting in a new piezo sounder??

Any help gratefully accepted.

By the way the car is a 2006 Automatic Coupe in RED

Matt

Old 05-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: The sound of silence. No noise from alarm sounder.

As far as grafting in a new piezo - don't know if that can be done.

As far as removing the horn until you can get it replaced - why not just leave it in place until you can have it fixed? It's not hurting anything is it?

RL

Old 05-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf1608
Hi all,
  • Remove the sounder and use the car as normal until I can either repair or replace it? Or will it cause other problems with the locking or immobiliser??

• Can the unit be repaired by grafting in a new piezo sounder??
Matt

Leave it as it is until you can fix it.
Installing the piezo buzzer will only have it buzzing when you lock and unlock the doors. It has nothing to do with the alarm system.
Enjoy the sound of silence

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-02-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Believe me, the sound of silence is waaayyyy preferable to the random siren.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:46 AM

Thanks for the replies, it's appreciated.
My plan was to take it out and see if it can be repaired by either adding a new siren but after reading a few Mercedes forums it seems the internal batteries leak and fry the circuit boards which initially causes the cricket on crack noise before failing completely.
So repair isn't an option.
I might see if I can somehow graft an aftermarket siren directly onto the signal wire from the module in the boot ( trunk )

Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 AM

Well a bit of an update!

It does make a noise sometimes, and boy is it ear piercingly loud when it does!!!!!!!!

It went off in the office car park at lunch time and abuse I got from the girl whos office window it was parked outside was entertaining.

Anyway,
yesterday the alarm only triggered silently. I left the dog in the car for a few minutes without disabling the tow away / ultrasonic detectors and the indicators were flashing when I got back. It unlocked with the remote and the lights stopped flashing, no problems starting.

Today, armed car as normal (no tow away override etc) and no dog in the car and the alarm has triggered, siren sounding good and strong and the lights flashing. It stops with the remote and the car will start as normal.

Will check tonight to see if there is any water under the rear floor ( have removed one of the bungs anyway) In the meantime I have put the alarm back on and wait for more abuse from the office!